BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-12-15 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2559987

User image

Expert
Boston
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - OPEN
AlanaF - 2009-12-15 12:38 PM
Indecision is my problem with the bike and run. I was doing good outside this summer.  I ran with my sister and biked with my brother.  Then my brother moved away and since the days are shorter by the time my sister gets off work it is dark so she quit meeting me.  I have a treadmill and a trainer, but they feel like 10 times longer than an outside workout. 

Have you looked at the winter cycling plan in the challenge forum?  Its killer and its keeping me motivated!

2009-12-15 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2556227

User image

New user

Boston

Hello Everyone.

Look forward to interacting with a 36 year old sprint triathalon rookie, well here I am. Played soccer, track in H.S. and ended up rowing in college (1.5 seasons), but that was a while ago. I am a less than novice swimmer, I like to bike and running ummm so so.. So this all adds up, to me trying to get in shape and changing my lifestyle from late night to early morning. Yes I have joined a gym, with a pool and indoor track, no I don’t own a bike and found a 16 week plan that I think is doable. Let the fun begin.  I am fine with my weight for my height and build, so at this point weight is not an issue, good genes, but may be heavy for this sport.

Current training: very light lifting (1X), 35 minutes ellipitical (4X).

Goal 2010- 16 week training, I tri per month as weather permits, and have a ton of fun.

Smile

2009-12-15 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2559921

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED

Dragonflyer - 2009-12-15 12:17 PM Wondering how many people you are plan on Mentoring in your group?

I think we will stop it at lucky number 7.  I have to actually get some real work done this afternoon, but will check in with everyone later.  Make sure you log your workouts in so I/we can see your progress.  It is also a good idea to add the group to your friend's list.  It's easy to get to other people's log that way.  Again, let us know if you need help with any of this.  I am very excited about our group and looking forward to a good winter.

2009-12-15 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Great, looks like we are off and running.  Looking forward to working with everyone one and getting much needed advice and words of encouragement from our group.  7 is a lucky number now it's time to start racking up those miles--ahh nice cold winter runs.  Where else could you have more fun.  
2009-12-15 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK - help!
How do you add someone as a friend? 
2009-12-15 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2560216

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2009-12-15 1:52 PM OK - help!
How do you add someone as a friend? 

Okay, go to the "Settings" button on the top of the page.  Then click on the last tab "Training Blog Customizations."  Then click on "Friends."  You can either type the person's user name, or click on the little dots to the right and you can search for someone.  

Let me know if you still can't do it.  

eta (edited to add) - Does everyone know what an inspire is and how to view/give one?

Edited by Boston Beginner 2009-12-15 1:11 PM

2009-12-15 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls

WOW, looking at some of my mentor buddys sites--guess I need to start building!  Just need to slow down the rest of my life first.

2009-12-15 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2560767

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Dragonflyer - 2009-12-15 5:01 PM

WOW, looking at some of my mentor buddys sites--guess I need to start building!  Just need to slow down the rest of my life first.

"Hug The Monster"
2009-12-15 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2559985

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Seren - 2009-12-15 12:37 PM
Boston Beginner - 2009-12-14 10:32 PM

Welcome Serenity.  I was starting to think no one liked me.  I did the Nantasket Tri 2 years ago.  It's a great race.  I hope your injury is healing well.   Even though you hate the pool, do you have a place to swim for the winter?  Looks like you have a good schedule for next year.   I look forward in helping in any way I can.

I do have a 25m pool for the winter.  It wasn't bad when I was able to mix it up with OWS at Walden or the ocean.  I suppose if I had a plan, I could stay focused enough to stay more than 20 minutes.   I chose the 20 week Olympic plan which will start at the end of February.

I find the days when I have swim 1000, 1500, 2000 yds straight, are the worst.  I really try to mix in as much drills and different set lengths as possible.  The ladder workouts or 100s with breaks in the middle I find to me the least boring.  There are a couple of swim focused winter programs here.  There is also a pretty good swim plan website folks talk about.  I will find it for you.

2009-12-15 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2559987

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2009-12-15 12:38 PM The Red Sox huh?  How about if I am anti-Yankee's, is that good enough?  I hate to say it, but it looks like my Mariners are going to land your Jason Bay .   Thanks for the idea of the 20 week plan, I'll look it up and see if it something I can handle or not.  I would have started working harder several months ago but I thought there was no way I could handle the swim.   Since I've been going to Master's I think I can handle the swim, so that's why I'm starting to look at it again. 

Indecision is my problem with the bike and run. I was doing good outside this summer.  I ran with my sister and biked with my brother.  Then my brother moved away and since the days are shorter by the time my sister gets off work it is dark so she quit meeting me.  I have a treadmill and a trainer, but they feel like 10 times longer than an outside workout.  I've always been afraid to run outside by myself for some stupid reason.  I either need to mentally toughen up and hit the treadmill or stop being a chicken and go outside.  I know that's all just whining and excuses though.  I need to decide a direction and go that way.

Looks like you are getting Cliff Lee from the Phillies too.  

I use the treadmill at the gym during the week because I have the kids with me.  I try and run outside on the weekends.  If you are nervous, try doing some sort of loops or out and backs within a mile or so of your house.  This way you may feel more comfortable always being somewhat close to your house.  If it's a safety issue, I know there are a lot of women who run with pepper spray.

2009-12-15 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2560118

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

fdaniele - 2009-12-15 1:17 PM

Hello Everyone.

Look forward to interacting with a 36 year old sprint triathalon rookie, well here I am. Played soccer, track in H.S. and ended up rowing in college (1.5 seasons), but that was a while ago. I am a less than novice swimmer, I like to bike and running ummm so so.. So this all adds up, to me trying to get in shape and changing my lifestyle from late night to early morning. Yes I have joined a gym, with a pool and indoor track, no I don’t own a bike and found a 16 week plan that I think is doable. Let the fun begin.  I am fine with my weight for my height and build, so at this point weight is not an issue, good genes, but may be heavy for this sport.

Current training: very light lifting (1X), 35 minutes ellipitical (4X).

Goal 2010- 16 week training, I tri per month as weather permits, and have a ton of fun.

Smile

Welcome.  Is it Fransesco?  It is good that you have pool at the gym.  Do they have a masters class?  Depending on the people who run the class, it can be a very useful tool.  Do you know what your plans are for getting a bike?  Borrowing? Buying used?  I think picking a bike is the hardest part of this whole triathlon thing.  I had a borrowed bike for a year before I bought my bike last year.  What a difference.  

I am looking forward to helping you out as best I can.

2009-12-15 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Reminder - if you have your blog settings to private, you will have to add us as friends in order to see it and inspire you.

2009-12-16 5:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Let the advice start flowing--NUTRITION?  belive it can be one of the most important parts of our daily routines--what works best for a daily diet to maintain energy and fitness?
2009-12-16 5:59 AM
in reply to: #2561449

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2009-12-16 6:43 AM Let the advice start flowing--NUTRITION?  belive it can be one of the most important parts of our daily routines--what works best for a daily diet to maintain energy and fitness?

Here's the quick and dirty answer, then other people can chime in.  From what I have read, you need calories to work out, eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, carbs before working out - to store energy, protein immediately after - to rebuild muscles, and it depends on your workout.  Going to the gym a hour a day is a lot different than burning 3500 calories on a 4 hour bike ride.  That brings up the point of nutrition while exercising.   There is also a difference between nutrition and diet.  Lots of answers to this question.  I have a book called Nutrition for the Endurance Athlete by Monique Ryan that is very good.  I know there is a whole group in the Nutrition Thread that does the Paleo Diet for Athletes.  I am not familiar with that one.  I hope this is a good start.

2009-12-16 6:18 AM
in reply to: #2561460

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
Good info.  I am having trouble with deciding what to eat and when to eat as well.  Of course right now through the holidays is horrible for me because this is when all my favorites are made!  Getting off the eating 3 meals to switching to 5-6 is hard to do when you grew up eating that way and lets not forget meat and potatoes!! Anyone else feel this way?  
2009-12-16 6:24 AM
in reply to: #2561479

User image

Stamping Ground, KY

Curious about everyone’s training schedule.  Do you follow this sites plan or work off your own?  I am having trouble with deciding what to do and when to do it.  I am a flight nurse as well so I work 24 hr shifts every 4 day, this makes it challenging as well with training.  I'm trying to come up with a regimen when I'm working, i.e. walking steps in the hospital, push ups, to playing the wii (lol) while I am here.  Any suggestions?

2009-12-16 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I too work in health care although not your hours-but also understand the problems with crazy hours.  On my job in the hospital I try to do the stairs and walk as much as possible like yourself and feel it's a good warm up to getting ready for a run after work.  Also do the routine of getting up extra early for a work out (it helps to have equipment in the cellar)  So what works best for myself is to squeeze it in when ever possible and then on the off days put in those extra reps and mileage.  Not the best work out sch. but you need to do what works best and still gives time for work, fun and of course work outs.
2009-12-16 7:40 AM

User image

Regular
Billerica
I can see I am going to have to keep up better withthe conversation other wise I have some reading to do. I'm not exactly computor literate but working on it, so I'll try and keep up.
?? Is there a way to add this mentor thread to your training blog or so you have to just search for it each time you log on??
Going to work on after this post adding the rest of the group to the friends list.
I also have a crazy work schedule in law enforcement that sometime does not allow for a workout some days. Working at night and having your biological clock off from the rest of the world makes workouts again challeging. I just do my best to try and balance the the time I have to workout and get some quality workouts.
2009-12-16 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2561486

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

skymedx - 2009-12-16 7:24 AM

Curious about everyone’s training schedule.  Do you follow this sites plan or work off your own?  I am having trouble with deciding what to do and when to do it.  I am a flight nurse as well so I work 24 hr shifts every 4 day, this makes it challenging as well with training.  I'm trying to come up with a regimen when I'm working, i.e. walking steps in the hospital, push ups, to playing the wii (lol) while I am here.  Any suggestions?

I follow the plans on this site.  They are created by USAT Triathlon Coaches, I believe, and have worked for me.  I find them easy to follow, easy to load into my training plan, and if I have any questions about a specific workout, I just post the question and get an answer pretty quickly.

As far as following the plan to a tee, that won't happen unless you are training to place in your AG or turning Pro.  There are other things in our lives that take precedence sometimes.  Here's my tip of the day:  Don't stress about it.  One workout is not going to make or break your season.  Stressing about it will actually have an adverse effect.  You miss one, you miss one.  There are tons of excuses valid reasons why we miss workouts - it's raining out, it sunny out, the kids are sick, the goat ate my shoes, project at work, husband/wife is pissed, etc.  That being said, you can still expect us to give you a hard time about it.

One last thing to add is that there are so many people on this site, there is a good chance someone is in a similar situation that you are in.  Post a question and the right person will respond.  In your case, I know there are many folks who have similar schedules as you do that can let you know what works for them.  

2009-12-16 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2561538

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
It is very challenging, I get up for my shift at 4:30 a.m. leave the house by 0530.  Hard to get anything before that!! I did bring my tennis shoes to put on to walk through the hospital.  Thats the plan alsong with climbing 7 flights of steps, just trying to get motivated to do it.  Thanks for the info.
Also reading everyone elses challenges doesn't let me whine too much about myself!!! LOL

Edited by skymedx 2009-12-16 7:47 AM
2009-12-16 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2561610

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

scogz1 - 2009-12-16 8:40 AM I can see I am going to have to keep up better withthe conversation other wise I have some reading to do. I'm not exactly computor literate but working on it, so I'll try and keep up.
?? Is there a way to add this mentor thread to your training blog or so you have to just search for it each time you log on??
Going to work on after this post adding the rest of the group to the friends list.
I also have a crazy work schedule in law enforcement that sometime does not allow for a workout some days. Working at night and having your biological clock off from the rest of the world makes workouts again challeging. I just do my best to try and balance the the time I have to workout and get some quality workouts.

Are you state police?  You have had some crazy accidents up in your neck of the woods lately.  I am working on creating a BB Mentor Group box that you can put in your log which will have a link to this thread. 

2009-12-16 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

You guys must work weird hours.  Looks like the days will be slow around here.  I was thinking that we should list some goals that everyone would like to accomplish for the next 3 months.  I want to make sure that everyone is getting what they want out of the group.  I realize everyone is not here to accomplish the same thing and want my answers and suggestions to fall in line with what everyone is trying to do.  This is totally optional, so don't feel like you have to write anything down.  I will come up with my goals and post them later tonight.   I hope everyone is having a good day.

2009-12-16 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2560904

User image

New user

Boston
Thanks. nice to be a part of. Close, Francesco. No masters that I know of, will find out. For a bike, am thinking of getting one, used for sure. I need a 58  inch, saw some on Ebay, but am definitly going to need some assistance on a bike.

By the way, I am going to do the 22 week couch program. Not sure if loads into the training calendar.  I added in my workout from yesterday and changed my setting so you should be able to view it.

2009-12-16 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2561620

User image

Extreme Veteran
skymedx - 2009-12-16 7:44 AM It is very challenging, I get up for my shift at 4:30 a.m. leave the house by 0530.  Hard to get anything before that!! I did bring my tennis shoes to put on to walk through the hospital.  Thats the plan alsong with climbing 7 flights of steps, just trying to get motivated to do it.  Thanks for the info.
Also reading everyone elses challenges doesn't let me whine too much about myself!!! LOL

I wondered with a username like skymedx if you were a flight nurse.  My brother is a paramedic that does life flight.  They have a treadmill in their quarters, and he took a bike trainer in for the slow times in between calls.

The plus side to a crazy schedule is that you have bigger chunks of time on your days off to get in those long rides and runs. 

2009-12-16 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
Usually its quiet here at the office, but today has been crazy.  I will try to catch up tomorrow and list some goals.   BTW, I am a visiting nurse.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36