XTerra
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 17s
Overall Rank = 7/100ish
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Got to race really early as I'm not used to just a running race anymore. So no transition to setup so walked about 1/2 of course
Event warmup:

Forgot, other than walked about 2 miles of course about 45 minutes before race.
Run
  • 37m 17s
  • 4.65 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out moderate, started about 1/3 in front of pack and weaved through traffic until the trail. Then single track, felt like 5k pacing for first 1.5 miles and that if I slowed down, the 8 guys right behind me would run over me.
Started to thin out some, A guy I was tailing around mile 3 slipped right in front of me, went down but popped right back up, nice save! But after about 3 more minutes, he dropped back then faded fast after that. Last 1.5 miles, I couldn't reel in the guy 15 seconds in front of me. The switchbacks were good and bad, I'd turn on a little speed and make up ground, then he'd see the gap close on the next switchback then turn it on and open the gap back up. That went on for 6-7 minutes so I just settled back resigned to not catch him. Good to have a rabbit though as it made the time go by faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Met trid00d, he is fast!

Last updated: 2009-11-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:17 | 04.65 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 7/100ish
Performance:
Course: Definate trail run. First 1/2 mile on concrete to separate the 350 racers. Then narrow trail switchbacks on single track. Loose rocks, roots, etc, felt like no flat sections and longest straight away was 15 yards so constant speed/cadence shifting. Sharp turns, couple of log jumps, ankle twisters but overall great shape, no mud! Doing the 4.5 course meant 1 lap, not 2. Garmin had total elevation gain of 1050ft for the 4.65 miles so lots of ups/downs, nothing longer than a 30 second climb. The downhill parts seemed to always have a sharp turn at the bottom so picking up speed/momentum was tough.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes