BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-12-27 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2572886

Subject: RE: Ersmith29's Group - OPEN

Hi Emily,  I'd like to join the group as well.  Hoping there's still room!

NAME:
Carolina

STORY:  Completely new to doing tris - or any organized races, for that matter.  Watched some close friend finish the Nation's Tri in September and decided I'd like to give it a try.  I've already started committing myself to races, to hold myself accountable, but will absolutely need advice, help and motivation.

CURRENT TRAINING: To date have been doing spin classes and short runs, but am signing up for swim lessons and a local running group, both beginning in early January.

2010 RACES:  Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run (April, 2010), Capital of Texas Triathlon - Sprint (May 2010), PanMass Challenge (August 2010) and possibly UVM Triathlon (June 2010) and Nation's Triathlon (September 2010). 

WEIGHT LOSS:
  Realistically, looking to lose about 20-30 lbs.

2009-12-27 12:18 PM

New user

Philadelphia

Hi!  I really hope this group is still open because it feels like a great fit!

STORY: I got into working out after the birth of my second baby in 2006 logging in at least an hour of cardio/resistance training six times a week and maintained a very fit bod.  I primarily work out in my basement with videos from Beachbody to include just about anything from Chalene Johnson and Tony Horton. Fast forward to the present (12 weeks post baby #3) and I find myself 20 pounds overweight and having a tough time getting back into my pre-baby workout routine because after each workout my joints simply feel over taxed.  Last summer when I was pregnant I had a couple of friends who did the Danskin tri.  I was itching to join them, but clearly not the time.  This year I'm determined to go for it.  I feel the need to do something completely different and hope training and completing a race will provide a great sense of accomplishment.  I have never biked, swam, and frankly have failed at running in the past.  I'm hoping that I will thrive with the low impact nature of the swimming and biking.  I'm also hopeful that if I go about it properly I will be able to run.  I have no idea where to start with training because I don't seem to fit into a specific category.  I have a base of endurance that got largely eroded in the three months I took off for the pregnancy and have no base in swimming, biking or running.  HELP!  I'm also rather intimidated by all of the equipment...what do I really need, and what can I live without?

FAMILY: Married for almost ten years with three kids 7.5, almost 5, and 3 months

TRAINING: Sprint tri.  If successful would love to build and go for Olympic next season

RACES: signed up for Philly Women's tri for July.  Considering Diamond girl which is shorter and in June.  Apprehensive to sign up for more than one event my first time out.

I am super excited about training and accomplishing this! Hope to hear from someone soon!

2009-12-27 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2578725

New user

Philadelphia
Hi Mary!  Just read your post and I feel like you're my twin.  I too would describe myself as short and dense have 20 pounds to lose, just joined LA fitness and am also signed up to do my first tri in July with the same goal of finishing (and yes, having control of all bodily functions would be nice!).  I'm currently at home with my 3 kids (7, almost 5, and 3 months), but am no stranger to a male dominant workplace.  Show them you can kick some A double S!  Anyway, hope this group is still open so we can connect on this journey.  Go us!
2009-12-27 1:12 PM

New user

Name: LJ

Story: I'm a newbie.  I have no recent athletic experience.  I haven't worked out in the last couple years and desperately need to get back into shape. I do race for the cure every year and always say I'm going to train for the next one, which I never do!  This year I am going to train and I am going to achieve a goal! I desperately need motivation and accountability.  I really hope this will be where I can find it.  I am planing on starting the couch to sprint program tomarrow.  I hope there's still room in the group?

Family Status: Married 20 years with a college student, high school student and a 7 year old that I home school

Current Training: Just getting started

This Year's Races: NONE

2010 Races:  Bloomsday, Race for the Cure, Valley Girl Tri

Weightloss:  Definitely! I need to lose about 50 pounds. Hopefully training will help?
2009-12-27 2:37 PM

oops, think i missed the "closed" cutoff. deleting!

Edited by IronDiva 2009-12-27 4:48 PM
2009-12-27 2:44 PM

User image

New user

Emily,  I would like to introduce myself and ask that you please include me in your group. Thanks in advance !!!!

NAME: twads/Trey

STORY:  I started running again last year about this time.  Since then I have lost 45 pounds and run several races including 5Ks, 10Ks, 10 Milers and a Half Marathon.  I have rapidly dropped my pace as the weigth fell off, but I don't really break 8 these days.  I ran in most of these races as a means to train for the Marathon I have upcoming in Austin on 2/14.  It will be my first!  I love biking and currently ride my mountain bike frequently.  (NEED a road bike!)  Regardless, I have been interested in Tris for a long time but never felt the nerve to jump in without having enough fitness under my belt.  But, I am finally doing it.  I had my first day in the pool yesterday and felt like a wet noodle.  I need so much guidance.  PLEASE Help!

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Training to race the Austin Marathon on 2/14/10.  Would like to add a sprint Tri and others here as well...

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Clarendon Day 10K, Capital 10 miler (Richmond),
Race for Cooperative Development 5K, Richmond Half Marathon, Gonzaga Turkey Trot 10K, Jingle All the Way 10K

2010 RACES:
  Austin Marathon 2/14/10... Need Others / Guidance?

WEIGHTLOSS:
  Lost 45 this year.  Could stand to lose another 20 to really feel competitive.

2009-12-27 3:07 PM

Subject: RE: Ersmith29's Group - FULL
Hi Emily I hope that there is still room to join your group. I truly enjoyed your bio/background because it is similar to mine.

Name: LadyBanks/Princess (my real name) Smile 

Story: I have never done a tri but I have been wanting to for a couple of years now. I have a couple of books about training for my first but it just seems so  hard to fit everything in. I used to be an athlete when I was in high school and college- I ran track. I would also like tips on finding races that are in my area. I work full time as well as go to school full-time.

Family Status: Divorced w/ 2 teenage boys

Weightloss: I would like to lose about 50lbs and to overall be active again. I know that this is something that I can have and do for myself. I honestly just need a lot of positive encouragement and movitation.

I am excited to get started!
2009-12-28 9:28 AM

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED
Oh wow!  Look's like we have an awesome group!  We're all closed out here now, but welcome to everyone who's in   I'm so excited to have such a great group.

Sorry, I'm a bit behind from holiday travel, but I'm rapidly getting all caught up here.  Hope everyone had a great holiday and I hope you're all ready to kick off an awesome 2010 season!! 

2009-12-28 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2579917

User image

Seminole, FL
HELLO. I TRIED TO ADD YOU AS A FRIEND TO SEE IF YOU HAVE ALL OF OUR GROUP POATEDPLATED ON YOUR PAGE.fcOR SOME REASON YOU HAVE TO ADD ME BEFORE I CAN ADDED YOU
2009-12-28 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2580573

Veteran
Hi Jen -

I've just gotten the group loaded so you should be good now!

Thanks!
2009-12-29 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2581148

User image

Seminole, FL
HEY EMILY YOUR PROFILE IS STILL PRIVATE. SORRY TO NEBE A BUG

2009-12-29 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2581639

Veteran
No worries at all!  Sorry about that, I *think* I've got it all updated now.  

So hopefully we're all set now. 

btw - to the group - I'd like to come up with a cool name for our group.   Any ideas?
2009-12-30 7:09 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
Hello, Emily!  Sorry to be a pest - but will there be like a mass e-mailing to the group about information, training, etc...?  I am not really sure how this process works and could use some instruction.  The information is so good and I am really looking forward to getting some good tips - that I am anxious to not miss a thing!  Thanks!
2009-12-30 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2578939

New user
Cincinnati, OH
So glad to hear from you!  We DO sound an awful lot alike!  Isn't that strange??  I am anxious to hear how other people overcome obstacles as well as keep some momentum going on what I have decided to do.  How to make time for it all - stay motivated - not let it consume me to the point where I injure myself - all of those things are what I can use some advice on!  Ah well - glad to have someone along with me for the ride.  How is the Philly weather?  Cincy has been pretty mild so far this year, but even so - I have forgone the outside running to the treadmill right now.  Had my first swim yesterday which was actually my first " competitive swim" in over 25 years!  It felt surprisingly good and I am not sure as I thought I would be.  Going to try to get in a run followed by a short swim in today.

What event is the biggest concern for you?  Mine would be the cycling.  I've not ridden a bike in 20 years, don't even own a road bike yet.  I am using a recumbent at home and will be amping up the spin classes to 2xs week just to get myself acclimated to riding through the winter months.  Once spring gets here and I can have some daylight to ride outside without the worry of getting clobbered by a car, I will actually take the plunge and get a bike.   It's quite an investment and one that I am not even sure of where to begin.  I will probably go to a cycle shop and get fitted which - from what I read - is the best approach.

Anyway - glad to hear from you on this post - it should be a good time - and hope to hear from you soon!  Have a happy new year!
2009-12-30 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2583489

Veteran
Alright gang - since we're officially up and going here, just wanted to offer a few setup tips. 

(I copied these directly from the instructions, btw...but still useful)
Add your mentor and other group members to your training log for easy access to view their workouts and to leave comments.  You can configure your training log settings and add these people by username to your 'friends' list via your training log control panel.
*You will want to set your log to 'public' for this program so your group can see you.

I've set my profile to public, so let me know if you have any problems viewing it.  

We've got a really big group here, but that's great.  Hopefully we can create alot of positive energy  

Technical stuff out of the way...I'd like to hear what you guys are up to this time of year.  Looks like we've got some races coming up in April - just around the corner

I'm new to being a mentor (probably obvious!), but I was thinking about throwing out a topic weekly or so.  Of course, any questions are totally fine anytime, but this way gives us a bit of direction.  Let me know what you think!

2009-12-30 10:04 PM

New user

Hi there, well I started my couch to tri program this week.  I skipped to week four since I'm not a total couch potato. That means it'll only take 18 weeks instead of 22 Laughing.   I went and signed up for a gym membership so I could swim today.  It just seems odd wearing your bathing suit while it's snowing outside.  But I'm dedicated.  I am discovering that finding a tri event at this time of year seems next to impossible? All of the races near me are already full. Anybody have any suggestions on where to look for races? Any advise is appreciated.  It's kind of depressing to set your goals on races you can't get into? I'm not quiting though!

2010-01-01 9:30 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
I don't know if I have my settings incorrect but I cannot see any postings or updates for this group.  I've followed the directions - at least - I think I did! - but nothing is coming up as far as new messages and/or replies to the postings.  I'll check more today.

But I have been totally faithful to the program this week (even today - logged over 4 miles this morning) and hope to continue it.  I really need to get some type of schedule down so I know what days I have to go to the gym and what days I can get my workouts in in the morning.  Definitely a morning-worker-outer - love the 4-5 am time frame - but need to have a definite schedule.  I see some of the plans on line and maybe I can follow some of those.  Cycling will be my hardest event and I would like to be able to get in two spin classes a week.  Is this too much?  I do not want to burn myself out right out of the gate.  Any advice?
2010-01-01 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2585514

User image

Seminole, FL
I know swimming in the cold is very strange but keep it up you will love it. It will be hot soon enough.
2010-01-01 10:53 AM

User image

Seminole, FL
Hey tri2009 I tried to give you a reply to your sweet inspire but your profile is still on private. See if you can reset it to public so we can connect! chat at ya soon
2010-01-01 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2587587

User image

Seminole, FL
Hey Emily you are going to be a great mentor. A weekly post would be great so we can all connect on a topic weekly. What about the group name tristrong or triurbest just a thought. Looking forward to a great2010!!!
2010-01-01 3:05 PM

User image

New user

Got my first run of the year in. 12 miles around one of my old routes from college. Hope everyone is getting an early start to their New Year's Resolutions. My only goals for the year are two Marathons and, at least my first Tri.  Happy New Years Everyone!

2010-01-01 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2585514

Veteran
Hi LJ - Awesome to you for getting started already!

I know what you mean about races filling fast!  A couple of places you might want to check to some races are the race calendar here (click on the RACES button above), active.com or also try posting in the local forums, as many of the locals will be familiar with some of the smaller events.  You might also check with your local YMCA and rec centers.  Around here, many of them host their own triathlons. 
2010-01-01 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2587587

Veteran
Hi Mary -

Problem with receiving postings may be on my end.  I have to admit I'm still figuring out parts of the site, so I'll try it again here shortly - so sorry for the frustration.  (How embarassing to admit here that my full time job is in IT - doh!)

Yay for another morning exerciser!  I too love getting in my workouts early b/c the days get far too busy otherwise.  As far as 2 spin classes per week, I think you're fine.  I teach spin 2x week and think it helps my training, esp this time of year when it's tough to get outside.  However, just be sure you're spending some time on the bike b/c part of the bike training is getting comfortable with your position on the bike as well as working on your handling skills. 
2010-01-01 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2587687

Veteran
Hi Jen -

Thanks for the suggestions - love them both!   We'll see if we get any votes or other suggestions, but I definitely like them, esp TriStrong
2010-01-01 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2588045

Veteran
Jessica - Great start to the new year, 12 miles already   Way to go!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6