BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-12-22 9:34 AM

Veteran
Subject: Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED

NAME: Ersmith29/Emily

STORY:  I have been competing in tris since 1997.  I started out with the Danskin because I read about it and it sounded interesting.  I had NO athletic background and if you met me, you'd probably be very surprised to find out I tri, just not the normal stereotype superfit triathlete.  After the Danskin, I was hooked immediately and signed up for a half, then my first full irondistance in 1999, with no clue what I was doing.  Over the years I've figured it out, at least a little more and am still at it & still love triathlon.  I work full time, teach spinning, and have two young kids so I know well the challenges of trying to squeeze it all in, but for me it's worth it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 young kids

CURRENT TRAINING: Training to race several half marathons and 1-2 him's in 2010. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2009 Escape from Alcatraz, 5430 Series (Sprint, Oly & HIM), 2009 IM Wisconsin (14:59:50)

2010 RACES:
  2010 5430 Series, including Ironman Boulder 70.3, Denver Rock & Roll Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS:
  After recently having two kids, looking to get back to my racing weight and regain my 'mojo'   I've got about 30 lbs to lose.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I really enjoy helping others get involved in our great sport.  I teach spinning, which I love because I love the interations with my spinning folks. Over the years, I've seen many of them grow in their fitness & take on challenges such as century rides, marathons, and triathlons.  I'd like to think that some of this inspiration comes from my coaching. 

Over the years, my tri-career has been a little of everything.  From a 16:45 in my first IM, to a couple of finishes in the 12's, I know what it feels like starting out with no clue what you're doing and not really having any athletic background.  I actually started exercising b/c at 17 my doctor told me to lose some weight. 

I'd like to join the mentor program so I can help others.  When it comes to tri, I've been there, done that and think the knowledge I've gained from my experiences can benefit others.

2009-12-23 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2572886

User image

Seminole, FL
Subject: RE: Ersmith29's Group - OPEN
Hey Emily, I would love to join your group. It is great that you are a girl #1 and married with young children. It really helps to have people who have similar back grounds to relate to in this crazy tri-world. Anyway, I would love to have you as a mentor. Thanks, Jen
NAME:
JenMcConnell/ Jen

STORY: I started training for my first triathlon last year at this exact time. My first was a sprint in May 09'. I had not trained in six weeks and thought well I already paid I might as wel do the thing. Just cross the finish was my goal. Well, I did it. I finished and I was sold on this wonderful world of tri-ing ! I have since done 2 more and a crazy trail/hill 10k run race and get faster every race. I am not fast but just love seeing if I can beat my last race pace. My fav. sport was swimming then biking and has moved to running! I love love love to run. I never thought I'd say that. I am very slow but aim to get better this year. I am using the Jeff Galloway method and have for a month now, not loving it  but doing it no the less for the sake of speed. Go slow to get fast? We will see if it pays off inseason.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 3 year girl and 15 month old boy. Hubby is putting some pressure for me to get pregnant soon. I still plan to train if I do.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently training for the a half marathon in March and Oly as well as the same 4 sprints as last year.

2009 Races:
Madria Beach Mad Dog Sprint
Top Gun Sprint
Sand Key Sprint
Suncoast Sprint
Richmond TT 10k

WEIGHTLOSS: Would like to lose some more. 15- 20lbs.

Looking forward to a stellar season with some new tri-buddies to spur on!!!!
2009-12-23 8:44 PM

User image

Florida
Hi Emily!
I would love to join your group.

NAME:
tri2009:) / Tricia

STORY: I am a tri newbie. Here's my couch to tri story... While recovering from my Jan. 2009 foot surgery I decided I would like to start running again. It had been a few years. I decided a 5K race would be a good goal and began training. I did my first 5K race in May and continued to do one each month all summer. I was also biking and swimming more than ever before so I checked out a few books about triathlons. It seemed insane at the time to even consider it... but I kept reading. Soon I started tri training and in Oct. 2009 did an aquathlon. Two weeks later I finished my first sprint tri. I was slow, but I loved it. I even sang aloud on the bike leg!
I plan to continue doing sprint distance races in 2010, and possibly work towards an Olympic in the fall or next winter. (I'm in FL)

FAMILY STATUS:Married with 3 kids

CURRENT TRAINING:Taking a short break due to holidays and involvement in musical- but ready to get back to it!

2009 RACES:
3DRacing Summer Race Series, Run for the Ages 5K, Run for Reading Aquathlon, Boca Bop Sprint Triathlon

2010 RACES:
Tour de Cape, FGCU Eagle Sprint Triathlon, ... and more...

WEIGHTLOSS:
I don't need to lose weight but I do need to eat healthier.

Edited by tri2009:) 2009-12-23 8:54 PM
2009-12-24 1:32 AM
in reply to: #2576212

Name:  ENOENO Lee Ann

Emily I would love to be  part of this group to learn more about triathloning (is that a word).  

Story:  I have finished 2 marathons and 2 1/2 marathons in the past couple years and really enjoy running but can see the benifit of cross training and multisporting.  I went and watched a friend do the HIM KS June 2009 and yes I had to try it.  So in December 2009 I did an indoor tri at the local YMCA and yes AM HOOKED!!!  Anyway My Weak Link would of course be swimming but I also only have a mountin bike at this time so I need pointers on buying equipment for this sport too.

Family Status:  Single w/ a gorgous pitbull mix and pug

Current training:  marathon in April so starting to train for that also 20 mile trail run in February training for that

2009 races:  Run thru History 10K, Rock Chalk Jayhawk 10K, Heart of Wichita Marathon, Indoor Triathlon

2010 races:  Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run 20 miler, Eisenhower Marathon, Mudwater triathlon, Twin Cities Marathon

Weight Loss:  Yes I definitly need to loose weight I thought that marathoning would take off the weight but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Another reason I thought that tri-ing would be a good sport.  I probably need to looe about 40 lbs.

2009-12-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2576139

Veteran
Welcome Jen!  
2009-12-24 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2576212

Veteran
Welcome Tricia!

2009-12-24 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2576412

Veteran
Welcome Lee Ann!
2009-12-25 12:37 PM

Regular
Show Low, Arizona

Edited by twinstrimom 2009-12-28 3:49 PM
2009-12-25 3:41 PM

User image

Hi Emily! I would really love to join your group

STORY:  I am VERY new to this whole Tri thing and am really serious about doing some tri's this summer. I am from Michigan, I recently graduated from college, and have wanted to do triathlons for a very long time but never had the time/money/energy etc... to do it during my college years.  I am a music director, I try to work out as much as possible, and winters are VERY loooong here in the mitten!  I have absolutely NO idea how to really train properly - I have tried to read up and of course get as much information from BT - but it's always nice to ask someone who has already been there done that. I used to run track for a couple years in high school - but I was never a "track star" to say the least. I am generally athletic but the college years really took their toll on my body and am currently trying to get back in to shape and I definitely need to lose about 25 lbs. I am very excited to start becoming the girl I've always wanted to be and do some things that I've always wanted to do! Can't wait to get started!!!

Training: I was working out really consistenly for a few months - spinning class, kick boxing, running - but then i threw my back and neck out really bad and had to take a short break - and then the holidays started, work got crazy, etc...etc... so I definitely fell off the wagon for a little while - after the new year I will be starting my training up again.

Single Status: I am single, single, single!!!! and loving it!! I am not married or have a boyfriend - which just makes more time overall Laughing

Races: None so far - as I mentioned earlier I am a rookie- but I want to do a couple olys this summer and maybe a HIM in September - but I'll see how I feel - don't want to over do it the first time around!

Weight loss:  Ummm...yes, I certainly need to lose about 25lbs - college was NOT kind to my figure and it would be great to be back in shape and fit into all my clothes again Not to mention the confindence and health that comes with being in shape.

Well, that's me in a VERY teeny, tiny nutshell. I am really excited to get started and to start
 tri-ing!  WooHoooo!!!!

Arianne

Edited by rabbitar 2009-12-25 3:53 PM
2009-12-25 4:51 PM

Hi Emily.  I would love to join your group.

STORY:  I am a previous athlete, from my high school and college years, but have let my athletic aspirations on the side line.  I have never done a triathlon, run a 5k here or there, but nothing consistent.  I swam competitively through out my childhood and look forward to getting back into the water.  I need this goal to get me going and will need someone to guide me!  I work full time and have active kids...I am going to struggle to get to keep a training program.

FAMILY STATUS:  married with 2 kids, 10 year old girl and 6 year old boy.

CURRENT TRAINING:  training for a sprint triathlon in April - need to start asap!

WEIGHT LOSS:  could afford to lose a few lbs!

Edited by khewson 2009-12-25 4:58 PM
2009-12-25 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Hi Emily. I would love to join your group.

STORY: I started triathlons in 2008 to keep myself busy and loose some weight. I did my first danskin sprint and I had a blast, but after finishing I felt like I was so far behind everyone else and kind of pushed it to the side and just focused on running after that. I did my first half marathon last March at Disney and loved it! I continue to run, but I really want to get back to swimming and biking so I'm hoping to sign up for the danskin sprint in May at Disney. I was a member of a great mentor group in 2008 and it really helped me to stay focused and it was nice to have others to talk to with the same interests and challenges.

FAMILY STATUS: married with no kids, yet 

CURRENT TRAINING: training for danskin sprint triathlon in May

WEIGHT LOSS: Yes, please :-

2009-12-25 11:17 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Is there stillroom in this group? And is a 'dude" allowed in?  lol

Name: James Ford

Story: Always been involved in jogging, but 3 years ago I decided I wanted to get back into Triathlons (when I say get back into, I mean I had done one about 8 years earlier) I am a competitive guy by nature andplaying softball did not do for me, so I thought who better to compete against than myself. I am on track to do my first HIM this fall and hoping to step up and become an Ironman in 2011, when I turn 40.

Family Status: Married with 3 boys (10, 8 and 1)

Current Training: A lot of firsts for me this year. My 1st Half marathon, my 1st HIM and my 1st marathon.

Let me know if there is room! Thanks

2009-12-26 12:31 AM

Hi Emily,

I would also like to join  your group, if I may.  I was "talked into it" by my husband.  He did a sprint Tri on the spur of the moment and didn't do to bad and he was hooked.  I was excited (and emotional) just watching him.  We decided to train together for many reasons.  The biggest one is to lose weight and to get ourselves healthy again.  I am a stay at home mom now but for more than 7 seven years, I have put the health of others before my own.  Now, I am on a baby aspirin a day and I need to lose about 40 to 50 more pounds (I've already lost 20).  My husband is at a much different level than I am and he's just NOT a woman!

Family Status:  I am married (age 41) with a 7 y.o. girl and a 3 y.o. boy.  and you're not kidding it's sometimes a struggle trying to get any training done, especially with school holidays.
Physical Status:  I am over weight and I have a bum left knee (surgery to repair a meniscus) and 2 rounds of PT. 
Training Status:  I joined BT back in September of this year and I've been doing the really slow couch to sprint program.  Running is by far my hardest part.  I still can barely run more than a minute or two at a time and my pace is getting better, I'm now up to 14.43 min. mile   20 years ago, I was able to run a 10 min. mile and ran 5 miles 3x a week ...hmmm life happens.  After the holiday, I'm going to go back and continue doing my training program.
Races for 2010: still working on finding one in my area and around school schedule.  Right now, I just want to finish my first tri with a decent time.
Weight loss: I've already lost 20lbs and I need to lose at least 40 more (maybe even 50lbs - my wedding weight).  I'm also doing the dailyplate.com to help with calorie control.

I'd be greatful if you accept me into your group.
Thanks,
Basia  aka: Talked-into-it 
2009-12-26 2:53 AM

Hi Emily - I would like to join your group.  I am completely new at tris.  I've never been athletic and while I can walk for miles, I am fairly out of shape and need to lose about 75 lbs.  I want to get fit, lose weight and do a tri.  Doing the tri is just because I've never done anything like this in my life and it would be a huge accomplishment for me physically/fitness wise esp. since I've never been athletic.  Another challenge - I have a hard time putting my face in the water so I've never learned to swim.  I can float really well :o) - and can do the back stroke somewhat, otherwise, this will be the part that is the most challenging for me to overcome.  Right now I can only jog/run for about a minute at a time doing a walk/run interval by walking 2-3 minutes and jogging for 1 so I've got a ways to go on that but think I can do it.  Biking - I just purchased a bike and just need to start biking to build up.  

What I need is lots of encouragement, a work out plan/program - as I have not idea how to best approach training,  and accountability each week.  Does this sound reasonable as far as what you can do as a mentor or am I off base on what to expect.  Just let me know.  

Oh - a little about me - I'm American but live and work in Thailand.  I plan to do a tri in the states next time I'm home, which most likely will be this coming summer so the goal for my training is to be ready in 5-6 months.  I'm single and have no children, but work a lot of hours so time is somewhat limited but I really want to do this well so if you can help me with a workout plan / program, and will be keeping me accountable, I will do my best to keep up. :o)

Please let me know if there is any other information you need from me.  Thanks so much for considering "taking me on". :o
2009-12-26 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I think this group was closed long before I tried to join...buried in the instructions mentions 5 mentorees per mentor, but I had to look many times before I found that nugget! Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by quincyf 2009-12-28 7:40 AM
2009-12-26 12:53 PM

User image

New user

Hi Emily, I'd like to join the group if there is still room.

STORY:  About six years ago, I started running in college after partying a little too hard and needing to lose weight and gain a little more focus. I completely fell in love with it and within about two years and 40 lbs less, I ran my first marathon. I've struggled to keep up with it since graduating and adjusting to working full time, but I'm starting to get back into it again. Two years ago, I decided I wanted to do a triathlon. I started swimming twice a week and I bought my first road bicycle. But its been about twenty years since I've even touched a bicycle, so I put racing goals off for a little while to get better at the bike. After an entire winter on my indoor rollers and moving to a neighborhood with bicycle lanes, I'm finally comfortable on the bike again and ready to tri. Running is definitely my biggest strength, swimming comes fairly easily and the bike will probably always be my biggest challenge.

Training: Currently running 3 days a week and up to 10 miles on my long run. Working on cutting down my 5k times until I start my official marathon training in January. Swimming about 400 - 800 yds once a week since that's all my skin can handle in the dry winter weather. Biking about once a week until I get my new indoor trainer then I hope to move it up to two or three days a week.

Family Status: Unmarried but I have a live in boyfriend and we just adopted two adorable 10 week old kittens. Between the three of them, I tend to have my hands full enough.

This Year Races: Southern Lights 5k (24:24), Cincinnati Thanksgiving Day 10k (50:49), and Reindeer Ramble 5k (24:05)

2010 Races: Kentucky Derby Marathon, Tri for Sight (Olympic) and a mini sprint in February if the weather is decent.

Weight loss:  None really, but I could probably lose 5 lbs. I've gained since starting a desk job three years ago.

All I'm really looking for is some accountability. I'm fairly self motivated, but I'm notorious for signing up for races, training for them and then just not bothering to wake up and race them. I think I just like to prove to myself that I can do it and care a little less about getting the official race time. I'm getting better about seeing things through to the end though and hopefully this will help. Looking forward to seeing everyone else reach their goals too this year!

2009-12-26 2:03 PM

User image

New user

Hi!  I am interested in joining your group.  I am married also with two young kids.  I recently started training for my first tri in 2010.  I will be signing up for the Irongirl in Atlanta June.
2009-12-26 4:27 PM

I'm so glad to have found this mentor opportunity.  I've got my sights set on a sprint triathlon this summer and would love your help as I train for this event.  

I've never done anything like this before...I've run a few 5K's in the past few yearsand grew up a competative swimmer--but that's been a while! We had our third and final baby this past August and I'm really looking forward to be able to get fit and stay that way!

My challenges will be finding time with three young kids at home, cold Montana winter--limiting outdoor runs/bikes, and a certain distaste for biking (mainly because I have not done it).   The great news is, my husband is on board and wants to compete as well.

I've worked out steadily most of my life and started P90X three weeks after last babe was born.  I love it and will try and combine some of thsoe workouts with a traiing program for the sprint.

Looking forward to know how to get started!

Thanks for you time helping all us newbies!

Edited by rebamt 2009-12-27 9:49 AM
2009-12-26 5:27 PM

I would like to join the group!

NAME:
Emilie

STORY:  I have been wanting to do a tri for a few years now, and it is just time to do it!  I was a highschool/college athlete but since then i havent done much. I am excited to find a group that has mom's with small children, i think it will be easier to relate.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 young kids. 3 1/2, 19 months and 14 weeks

CURRENT TRAINING: Training to race several half marathons and 1-2 him's in 2010. 

2010 RACES:  I havent committed to any yet. but  I am looking.

WEIGHTLOSS:
  After being pregnant so often the last few years I have about 30 lbs to lose.
2009-12-26 6:00 PM

New user

Hi Emily.  I would love to join your group.

STORY:  I am a previous childhood and high school competitive swimmer, but let go of my health and had some medical issues in college.  I have never done a triathlon, but ran my first and only 10k Nov. '07.  Loved it, but life got in the way and I didn't continue on.  Looking forward to getting back in the pool with a training goal, running again to beat my 10k time and learning to love the bike like my hubby. =)  I work full time and two toddlers to deal with, so I'll battle exhaustion and priorities along the way, but I need this and it will benefit my family.

FAMILY STATUS:  married with 2 kids, 3 yo boy and 1 yo girl, DH is ready for #3 but I have some weight to lose first

CURRENT TRAINING:  want to start training for an olympic distance asap!

WEIGHT LOSS:  moving, but still have about 40-45 lbs. to go
2009-12-26 7:50 PM

NAME: Joe

STORY:  First of all - Congrats Emily on what you have achieved. What an effort, well done!! and  I would love to join your group and learn from you.

My story is that I have always struggled with weight, so in 2007 my brother and I joined a loal gym and entered a bodybuilding competition. In 16 weeks I lost 30+ kilo (I know, I know, not healthy!!) and jumped on stage at the state trials. Gee it was an amazing feeling. Since then my weight has continued to move up and down, often by 25kg plus at a time.
I continued to pour my efforts in trying to build muscle but finally succumbed to the notion that genetics do play a major part. I then decided to take up tris and have started doing 'beginner tris' 375 swim, 10k ride and 2k runs.
Unfortunately, my efforts are obviously severley hampered by being a smoker, which MUST STOP.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 wonderful kids, aged 13 and 11.

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting tomorrow, training starts again. With the support of family, a commitment to preparing for an Olympic distance in March is thte major focus.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
2010 RACES:

* Feb 7 - 375 / 10k / 2k

• Feb 28 - 750 / 20 / 5k

• March 14 - 750 / 20 / 5k

* March 28 - Olympic distance at Mooloolaba

• April 11 - 750 / 20 / 5k

* Mid August - Half ironman?????????

WEIGHTLOSS:
      In absolute all sorts at the moment. Along with training, dieting starts Monday. Struggling greatly with the best attack here, having previously focused mainly in low carb with great success. Will probably go with fruit veg and salads.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD STUDENT:  Determination and a steel clad commitment to stick to goals and compelte an Olympic distance tri. Having never, EVER swum pre 08, I am fully aware to the effort required. Can't wait to do whatever it takes.

• Edited by guins 2009-12-26 7:54 PM

2009-12-26 10:21 PM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2009-12-27 12:34 AM

New user

Las Vegas
    Hi can I still join this group?

NAME: Aly

STORY: I am completely new to tri's. I trained for a 5k run back in May 2009. I went from the couch to walking and ended with a very slow jog.  I really enjoyed myself and want to find something to keep me motivated to continue to get fit. I also have a weight lost goal I want to meet in 2010. I started at 209 lbs and have made it to 169. I need to have a good push to help me make my goal of 140.
    FAMILY STATUS:  Seperated three years with a 10 year old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Training to race a sprint in April. 

2010 RACES: Race against the Sage in Las Vegas, NV

WEIGHTLOSS:
      209 to 169 still have 30 more pounds to lose
    2009-12-27 8:01 AM

New user
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hello Emily!  I would like to join your group because it seems like there are a lot of BUSY women in here and I'd love to know how to be able to make it work and all...

STORY: I am new to tri-training and plan on doing my first sprint tri in July.  I have run a few 5ks about 2 years ago but got disappointed with my times and so I stopped.  I am very competitive so I have a hard time getting my pace right with other people around.  My only goal with this tri is to be upright and in control of all my bodily functions when I cross that finish line.  I am short and probably not your typical athlete although one of my life goals is to become an athlete.  I work full time plus at a very high-stress male dominated job so in some ways - I have to be some type of scrapper to survive at work!   I am ready to go!

FAMILY STATUS:  I am a 41 year old with a 17 y.o getting ready to graduate and a 20 y.o. who has given me a wonderful son-in-law and two absolutely perfect grandbabies!  So Pre-Empty-Nester who needs something to do. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  Holidays have slowed me down a bit but am currently biking and running a lot.  Just joined LAFitness to get in the swimming.  Just started spinning and I love it!

2010 RACES: Cincinnati Flying Pig 10k; Cincinnati Sprint One-World Triathlon July 2010

WEIGHTLOSS:  Short and dense - I have about 25 lbs. to lose.

What I Hope to Achieve:  I have never been happy with my weight but I am shutting that portion of my plan out.  I would rather work into being an athlete.  I want to run and train and do things that other people in my circle only dream about.  I used to have the talent and speed when I was a kid to do well bt was never given the chance.  Now is my chance.  I want to do well.  2010 needs to be my year for making my dreams come true.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to join you group.  Please let me know.  Thanks!

2009-12-27 10:23 AM
    in reply to: #2576139

Southwest Florida
    Hi Emily, I would really love to join your group, as someone else said it's nice to have a lot in common.
    NAME:murquizo / Mary

STORY: I'm a Tri newbie and very excited for my first race in May.  I started with a 5K in 2008 (couch to 5K training) with more walking than running and finished my first anyK race at 44:30 and in 2009 beat my time by 7 minutes.  I'm hoping to beat it again in April 2010.  I've been training for one month and feel great.  I just (1st time today) started to ride my bike with a group and did ~ 12 mi - it's a lot different than a spin or stationary bike but so much fun.  Biking is what I really need to work on and I know I can do it.  I'm really looking forward to the whole thing and being here is an added bonus.  I'm also in FL.

FAMILY STATUS:Married with 2 kids (with hopes of becoming divorced soon)

CURRENT TRAINING: One month in training with the Sprint 3x balanced program although I do end up doing more swim and bike time than running.  I train about 6-8 hours a week.

2009 RACES:
    Do The Right Thing 5K

2010 RACES:
    Do The Right Thing 5K, FGCU Eagle Sprint Triathlon, Cape Coral Yacht Club Sprint Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS:
    I lost 60 pounds in 2008, lost a few more and maintained it in 2009 but I do need to lose another 50 pounds.  I'm already stronger than I've ever been and while I'm eating healthier and training for my triathlons I know I'm working toward a healthier me.  Slow weight loss is good.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6