DQ
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 27s
Overall Rank = 100/189
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/20
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4am, since the race location was 90 minutes away. I had my shake consisting of Endurox R4, accelerade, gatorade, yogurt, chocolate syrup, and peanut butter. This tastes much better than it sounds. I also made a pb&j bagel, but the shake was all I could get down at this hour. I did some stretching and massage with my Tp massage ball kit. I got on the road to pick up Greg(mattmaxmick)and got there at 6:20 am.
Event warmup:

I unloaded my gear and racked my bike. I was feeling good, so I only had to make one trip to the porta-potty, not my obligatory 3. Next, I did about a 3 or 4 minute run, and then a 5 minute swim in Lake Nummy.
Swim
  • 06m 26s
  • 375 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was very pleased with the swim. Not wearing the hr monitor actually helped!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I'm still very average at transitions after 3 yrs. I need to run faster through it, rather than just jogging. I guess I just figure I wont be in the top 3, so I dont kill myself.

Run
Bike
  • 46m 43s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 19.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Here's what I don't understand. The race entry form said the bike course was 15.5 miles. My computer said 15.6, and my buddy's computer said 15.6 miles. Now what happened in one day that made the race course shrink to 15.0? Is this some type of geographic anomoly(sp?) My computer calculated my avg spd at 20.1, I did the math and came up with 20.01. I was flying along at a 21.0 avg. when I heard the dreaded noise"whush" You guesed it a flat. I stopped to check and still had some air. So I just said screw it and kept riding,because it would take me 20 minutes to change a flat. Needless to say I had trouble maintaining 20 mph. I must remember to thank the wheel maker of my bike-bulletpoof. I rode 10 miles on a rim!

Change my tubes before a race, or more often than 600+ miles. I am convinced my avg speed would have been closer to 21.0 if I hadn't had a flat. Overall it was still my fastest bike split to date.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

I took about 10 steps when I realized I still had on my biking shoes. I can really be a knucklehead sometimes!
Run
  • 25m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt pretty good. My legs were pretty fresh, so I figured I would have a decent run. After about 3 minutes, I got the dredded side stitch. I was thinking I'm gonna have a bad run now. I just started taking deep breaths, and the stitch didn,t really get worse. After one mile my split was 8.39, so I knew I was pretty much on target to do 8 min miles. My second mile was 8.39, and my stitch was gone, so I dropped the hammer for the last 1.1 miles. I actually started passing some people, instead of getting passed like usual. My last mile was 7.51, not bad for a clyde.

practice more aerobic threshold intervals.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I cursed myself when I told greg(mattmaxmick) I never had a flat during a race.

Event comments:

Overall, I was very pleased with my time/performance. I was shooting for 1.25 overall time, and I did a 1.22.27.

Last updated: 2005-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:26 | 375 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 14/189
Performance: Good
This was my first race w/o my hr monitor, because the battery crapped out on the previous tuesday. I was ok with this, because my heart rate gets so high, I tend to hold back. This time I got out in front and took off like I was shot out of a cannon! I was looking to have my fastest swim split, and when I got out the water 2nd, and saw my time I was really pumped. It was about a 25 yd run to the transition area, but I did my obligatory shuffle to keep my hr down.
Suit: IM sprint sleeveless
Course: clockwise, with plenty of grass to get tangled in! At least this year there was more water in the lake than 2003,so I only got tangled 50 times instead of 100!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:43 | 15.5 miles | 19.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 105/189
Wind: Some
Course: flat course on local roads with very light traffic. No suprise here with the traffic, because this event was in the middle of no-where. Plus who in the hell is driving at this hour in the morning, anyway? Most people were just waking up, and I'm out here busting my butt on my bike.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:09 | 03.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 120/189
Course: flat on park roads with some shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-07 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Subject: Belleplain Sprint

2005-06-08 12:39 PM
in reply to: #170453

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: RE: Belleplain Sprint
great race.... wow what a super fast swim.... sorry to hear about the flat... i can't believe you rode 10 miles on rim... i would have never done that...
2005-06-08 2:26 PM
in reply to: #171176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Thanks.  Now if I could bike and run like I swim, I might be able to crack into the top 5 in my age group!  As far as the wheel goes, I think it must be bulletproof to carry my fat azz 10 miles on a flat!!
2005-06-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: #171254

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Nice Race Bryan, especially riding on a rim for so long ...as I told greg, I wish I would have known beforehand that you were going to be there as it would have been nice to meet you
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belleplain Sprint Rss Feed