BT Development Mentor Program Archives » IBD Tri group (I'm Better Doing Tri's) Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-12-28 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: IBD Tri group (I'm Better Doing Tri's) Closed
Name:  suzimmer - Susie

Story:  About 12 years ago I began to have some weird medical issues that seriously threatened my active lifestyle.  I had been a runner for years and enjoyed participating in many sports.  I was diagnosed in rapid succession with Interstitial Cystitis (a bladder disease), asthma and ulcerative colitis ( just recently rediagnosed as Crohn's Disease).    I thought my active days were over.  After a bit of time feeling sorry for myself I realized that knowledge was power and I could take control of my life.  I began researching my conditions, found new doctors, radically changed my diet and slowly began running again.   I had always wanted to do a triathlon, so in the summer of 2006 I signed up for a local sprint distance race.  I was a terrible swimmer and rode my old comfort style bike, but the minute I crossed the finish line I was hooked.

Since that race, I have competed in 14 triathlons.  I have done ALL distances (IM Wisconsin in 2008).  I'm 48 years old and in the best shape of my life.  Even though I continue to have medical issues, because I am in good physical condition, I am coping well.

Family:  I am married (23 years) and we have 2 sons.  One is sophomore in college, the other a senior in high school.  My baby is my Jack Russell Terrier, Toby.

Current Training:  I train 6 days a week.  I attend a coached swim class once a week, run 3 times a week and either do spin or trainer rides twice a week.  I also strength train and do pilates.

2010 Races:  I qualified for the Boston Marathon at Chicago this year, so I will be running that in April.  I am also signed up to do IM Wisconsin in September.  I may do a couple of sprint  or a half IM inaddition, it all depends on the ol' budget.  The two races I'm sighed up for already pretty much ate up all my race money for the year.

Weightloss:  Nutrition is huge issue for me.  I have many dietary restrictions and it can be difficult to make sure I get the proper nutrition to support endurance sports.  People with Crohn's often do not absorb essential nutrients.  In fact, I just learned that I have Ostoporosis due to poor absorbtion of calcium.

Why would I be a good mentor?:  I was a mentor last year and really enjoyed the experience.  I would love to lead a group of people, beginner or not, who have struggled with medical issues (IBD or others) of their own.   I have presevered through tough times and came out ahead due to my participation in triathlon.   I certainly don't have all the answers, especially to the technical  aspects of the sports, but will do my best.  I would like to pass on some positve "karma" to others and help them realize that "you can do it!"

Edited by suzimmer 2009-12-30 4:11 PM

2009-12-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2580143

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Subject: RE: IBD group (I'm Better Doing Tri's)
Hi I'm steve, I would love to join your group.

I completed 3 super sprints last year and DNfed 1.

I am restarting after a break due to travelling too much and a sinus infection.

Story: I have been a couch potato who "exercised" by doing 5-6 3-5K races a year, with little exercise in between.  I have had various medical issues, have been diagnosed with High Cholestral, GERD, Fibra Myalgia, Restless Leg Syndrom, Sleep Apnia.  I have lots of places on my body with little bumps under the skin, that are very painful to the touch.  I am currently 235, which is at least 70 pounds over my ideal weight.  I am on 6 different medicines for the list above.

Family: I am married (23 yrs - 12/27), have 4 children (22,20,18,16).  One Senior in College, Junior in College, Senior in High School and Sophomore in High School.

Current Training: Just getting back into training.  Will be building base miles mostly.  Currently can ride at about 12 MPH for about 40 minutes.  Jog/Walk at 16 min mile pace for about 2 miles.  Swimming pool too cold right now.  Looking to reset with a begginner workout plan starting Jan. 1.

2010 Races: Currently not signed up for any but planning on racing Sprint distance Pineapple Man in May.  Not sure if I will do the super sprint series again this year.

Weightloss: Need to change lots of parameters, drink too much soda and eat too much junk. 

Why would I be a good mentee?: I log my workouts, regularly communicate issues, need encouragement to keep going.
2009-12-29 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Taser-World
I've been waiting for this mentor group to make it to the "Live" forum! Hopefully, you'll accept me into your group.

Name: Dee

Story: Hm, where to start? About 3.5 years ago, I was diagnosed with a large mass on an ovary. The oncologist did a complete hysterectomy, including removal of both ovaries. (Can you say "hot flash?") Fortunately, I didn't need chemo....

I've also had lots of stomach/GI issues. I'm currently on a gluten-free and dairy-free diet, and have been feeling better. (Although, with the holidays here, it's been tough to stick to that diet.) So I seem to have a gluten/dairy intolerance. (I tried lactose free milk, but still had issues.) I also have hypothyroidism, and I continually struggle with getting my thyroid meds adjusted.

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis/osteopenia. Plus, my vitamin D levels are really low. (I've been taking 6000 IU of vitamin D per day but it doesn't seem to help, so something else is probably going on - maybe that dairy/gluten intolerance?)

I also have asthma that's triggered by exercise/exertion and cold. Usually, I can deal with it OK, but I wanted to do a 5K this month and had to pull out due to the cold weather.

(Wow, I sound like a mess, don't I? LOL) Actually, it's not all that bad, I think. And other than that, it's just "minor stuff," like knees and shoulders that ache when I overdo it.

Family: One spoiled-rotten dog.

Current training: Well, I was doing pretty well. But in August, I got a new job, moved to a new place, etc. The training levels dropped considerably, and haven't rebounded yet. Also, I haven't joined the Y yet, which is where the local pool is. (I really need to do that.)

Previous races: I've done a couple of 5K runs wogs (walk-jogs). But money is always an issue, and it's tough to me to justify spending so much on race entry fees. That said, I know entering a race will motivate me to work out more!

2010 races: I haven't signed up for anything yet. I know there are some sprint Tri's in the area though, and I'd like to do at least one. I'd also like to work on my running wogging. I developed plantar fasciitis, and can't seem to get rid of it. But sitting around makes it hurt more than running wogging, so I figure I might as well wog.

Why I'd be a good mentee: I always have lots of questions. I'll visit everyone's logs to check out their training and leave inspires. And I spend a lot of time on BT. LOL

Edited by D001 2009-12-29 11:30 AM
2009-12-29 1:26 PM

Hi I'm Stephanie I would love to join your group.

I completed a sprint duathlon once and several 5ks.

Story: I was a high caliber softball player and played Division 1 as a catcher.  I'm 27 years old.  In college, my knees went "bad", I had a couple of scopes and I was done playing.  It took me a few years to get my knees back, then I got married and had 2 kids.  I miss being competitive and I love to be pushed athletically.  I also am now 20-25 overweight.  I want to get my body back!  I've never been a swimmer, but I'm learning now and really surprising myself.

Family: I've been married 5 years and have 2 boys, ages 1 and 4. 

Current Training: I just started swimming last week.  Since I'm in Ohio, I'm focusing on strength training twice a week, with a once a week swim and once a week run.  I also do cardio on my strength days for about 30 minutes after my lift.

2010 Races: Doing a sprint tri in July. Plan on doing an olympic in August!

Weightloss: I love to drink coke with Pizza.  This is my worst hurdle!  I'm logging my calories now and trying to stay around 1500 calories per day.

Why would I be a good mentee?: I log my workouts and I'll communicate regularly.
2009-12-29 1:44 PM

User image

JMU
Hi, I'm Maggie and I would love to join this group.

Story: I'm 20 years old a junior in college and started doing triathlons in my freshman year and got hooked big time. As for my medical history, I've had some sort of disorder related to eating and eating especially when I'm stressed or around people. Finally, my doctor and I have decided to try this medication (Zoloft, yes that little bouncy ball on the commercial) and it seems to have worked. It's commonly given for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and even though I don't specfically have GAD it seems to be helping a little. But I would like to learn some new foods and how to eat with people without having to run to the bathroom. Anyway.

Family: I have a brother who is at school with me and he is 1 year plus on his kidney transplant from my dad. My mom has vowed to start a walking program for her resolution. And of course my bunny, Pumpkin and a few fish.Smile

Current Training: Ehhh, yeah about that. Well today I start a 12 week training program for a half- marathon that I signed up for. I'm a slow but good swimmer, I love biking (except its winter time now) And I hate running, hate it (hence the half-marathon to motivate me to finally start running) Oh and I rock climb.

2010: Shamrock Half, and probably 2 or 3 sprints or olympics, hopefully and aquabike half IM in May. Maybe 2 century rides this year.

Weightloss: Please? Technically I am overweight for my height and weight. But not by much. 5-10 pounds would be great and I think that will happen during my training. Plus, I'm really starting to look at my diet and what I eat to hopefully help my body's digestive system.

Why I would be a good mentee: I'm looking for a mentor with experience in running and who knows their nutrition. I'm good encouraging others and keeping my log up to date. I plan to work hard and do much better in my triathlons, especially the running part.

2009-12-29 7:03 PM

User image

New user

Baltimore
Hi Susie! I would really love to join your group!

Name: Maita

Story: I had always been active since my college years doing a lot of aerobics and working out at the gym. When I had been laid off 8 years ago, I began to lead a more sedentary lifestyle. Since giving birth to my daughter about 6.5 years ago, it has been a struggle to include fitness in my schedule. I had trained for 2 marathons, a handful of 5ks and a couple of 10ks to deal with my eating habits and post partum depression. I always wanted to do a triathalon so I had slowly trained for a mini sprint and participated in it in September. I am a beginner swimmer and a beginner biker, so that is where I need help at, in terms of it's techniques.

I had been on a fertility protocol for over a year so I had gained 30 lbs. I have lost only half of that and my goal is to lose the last 15 lbs.

Family: I am happily married for 8 years and have one daughter and a cool 150 lb. English mastiff.

Current Training: Unfortunately, my training is not as disciplined as the others because I have been battling a pinched nerve on my left shoulder and it runs down to my arm. I used to do a spinning class once a week, strength training 2x a week, swimming 2x a week and running and biking once a week. For the last 2 months due to my shoulder I just do yoga and run once or 2x a week for the last 2 weeks and it finally has healed.

2010 Races: I have signed up for a sprint triathalon in August 2010. I'd love to do very decently on that race!

Weightloss: As I said before, it would be great if I can lose 15lbs. This makes a huge difference since I am 4' 11" with a small bone structure.

Why would I be a good mentee? I need aid in swimming and biking techniques! I need motivation from athletes of all different levels! I certainly need that positive karma!
HELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!

2009-12-29 7:23 PM

New user

Hi Susie
I am a 42 year old mother of four young children ages 12, 10, 8 and 5.  I have been active most of my life with running, spinning and weights presently 2 times per week.  I competed in my first sprint tri last year and enjoyed it very much.  I have done a few local 5k's over the years.  I am looking for some mentoring for this years tri in August.  I need a specific plan and some coaching with the swimming.  I focused a lot on the swimming portion of the training last year however, I still found it VERY painfull!  I also need some help/suggestions on being consistent with dieting.  I know how to eat clean and healthy however, I have a hard time being consistent with it.  This resulted in weight gain for last years tri even though cardio wise I felt strong.  In the new year I am looking to lower my body fat and weight, eat healthy and be a strong competitor.  I plan to run a half marathon in May to get me ready for an August Danskin Triathalon.

Hope you can help!Laughing

Sue

2009-12-29 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: RE: IBD Tri group (I'm Better Doing Tri's) OPEN
Hi All!
Welcome to the group!  I just went on line, saw the message that my group was live and was so excited to see 6 people already signed up! 

I plan on checking in most evenings.  I am a teacher and so I'm on winter break right now (yeah!), but once I'm back next week I really won't have the opportunity to check things during the day. 

As your mentor I will answer all your questions to the best of my ability, but I hope to provide more than answers, but encouragement to get/keep going on your personal goals.  Along those lines, my first bit of advice is to not start out with too much too soon.  The best way to get discouraged or burn out is to go out all gang-busters and crash.  Slow and steady wins the race.  I'm also big believer in goal setting.  Set a realistic goal.  Maybe for some that goal is just to work out a 1/2 hour a day three days a week.  Once that becomes part of your life...set a new goal.  You get it.  It's great to set a goal to do a race, but the ultimate goal should be the healthy and active lifestyle that comes from training for the race.   ( And then not going back to the couch after the race is overSmile).

But enough of that for now...

Steve:  Sounds like you have a lot to deal with health wise and family - 4 kids wow!  Are your oldest in school?  Sounds like you have some experience with running, how's your swimming, biking?  Do you have access to an indoor pool?  Starting out now will give you got plenty of time to get ready for your sprint in May.  What happened at the supersprint that you DNF?

Dee:  Tell me about those hot flashes! Cool and I've been dealing with night sweats for years...fun.  I too was shocked when I found out about my osteoporosis, since I don't fit in the risk factor category, except for the Crohn's.  I'm on Boniva, what about you?  As far as running and plantar fascitis, that can be debilitating.  Custom inserts in your running shoes could help, but I think there are also some  stretching exercises that you can do that can prevent it.  I'll try to find a link.

Stephanie:  I have much of respect for people who can get in the training when the kids are little.  Do you work outside the home? (Having two little ones and staying home is also a lot of work - I did that for many years).  So with a duathlon under your belt, a sprint and an Oly by Aug is a good plan, especially with your athletic background.  Any swimming background prior to last week?

Maggie:  Are you in a triathlon club at school?  I think it's so cool that schools have triathlon clubs now.  My son's girlfriend is in one at her school. I'm guessing from the name of your half mary, Shamrock, that your race is in March which would give you 12 to 13 weeks.  Are you following a plan?   Have you picked any tri's for the summer?

Maita:   Two marathons...that's impressive! Sounds like you've got the running experience.  Since you've already done a mini-sprint last  Sept, you should be in great shape for a sprint by August.    English Mastiff...that's one big puppy!  Can you jog with a dog that big?  I have a hard enough time with my 20 lb Jack Russell.  

Sue:  Another super parent with four kids!  As I said to Stephanie, kuddos to you for getting the training with young kids.  But something I've always felt,  as a parent you need to build in "me" time, especially us mom's (no offense Steve Smile).  When you set aside time for yourself, I believe you become a better parent and spouse because it gives you a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday stress.   And when that time is in the pursuit of health and fitness...even better!  Sounds like you have a good plan with half mary in May and a Sprint in August.    Look on BT for some training plans.  Also, if you can, look into some swim classes in your area.  When I first started my swimming was terrible. (I actually had a panic attack in the pool).  Swim classes made all the difference.  In fact I still participate in a coached swim class once a week.

Oh, by the way,  Where is everyone from?  When I was a member of a mentor group 2 years ago we had people from all across the globe. How cool is that?  I still e-mail one of the members who lives in France. 
I live in a suburb just north of Chicago.

So, that's all for now....Let the training begin!

Susie
2009-12-29 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2583024

User image

Champion
Taser-World
2009-12-29 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Very cool Dee! I like it.  Right now the bubbles could be for New Year's Eve.

Susie
2009-12-29 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2583142

User image

Champion
Taser-World
suzimmer - 2009-12-29 9:50 PM

Very cool Dee! I like it.  Right now the bubbles could be for New Year's Eve.

Susie

IfI just added a second version that I like more. If you don't see it, hit "refresh" (CTRL + F5). It has water. (And I love water! LOL)

Edited by D001 2009-12-29 8:54 PM

2009-12-29 10:17 PM

User image

JMU
Ohh, I like both of those designs! I'm going to need help remembering how to connect them to my page again though.

Susie, I am in a tri club at school, but they are more competitive than the average person. And they like to hydrate... a lot. I don't ehh hydrate in the same way they do, I'm more partial to the milk, water and on special days Gatorade! A lot of the people who run the practices are the super elite runners or bikers and I'm just not at that same level so it's tough to keep up.

And yes, my half mary is in March, sorry for not elaborating. It's March 21 in VA beach, that gives me 12 weeks to practice and I am following a very simple plan from online that is more about mileage then time. I have a few tris in mind for the summer, one is a sprint and the other an olympic.

Finally, I currently live in Northern Virginia for this month, but normally I live in the middle of Virginia in Harrisonburg down at school, James Madison University.
2009-12-29 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2583111

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
suzimmer - 2009-12-29 9:36 PM Hi All!

Steve:  Sounds like you have a lot to deal with health wise and family - 4 kids wow!  Are your oldest in school?  Sounds like you have some experience with running, how's your swimming, biking?  Do you have access to an indoor pool?  Starting out now will give you got plenty of time to get ready for your sprint in May.  What happened at the supersprint that you DNF?

I have 2 in college, 2 in HS....  Biking is OK, kind of slow but OK.  Swimming steady...  No indoor pool, but local heated outdoor not too far away.  Personal pool is cool for me about 75 or so.

My DNF was a mental breakdown....  I wanted to compete in a triathlon and not just complete one...  Started out fast in the pack instead of on the edge like normal...  Got bumped and banged and forgot how to swim, after doggie paddle for a little, rested on back of jet ski, finally swam to T1.  Got out of T1 ok, but very upset at myself....  Spent 8 miles planning on a new plaque for caboose club for last place in a race.  It was warm, so I was getting very tired....  T2 was a mess, rushed out, clip on number belt came free, missed cut out for entering run (change from where announcer said it would be), mentally out of it and very very upset....  Started up hill, had to walk and was very tired...  came down hill, saw another runner, said good job, she said same to me and I lost it...  Started crying and hyperventalated....  Laid down on side of the trail and that was it game over, 5 people assisting in less then 30 seconds, EMTs, the works...

Worse part was all I needed to do was finish and I got 2nd place for the series in my division because only 2 of us did all 3 races...  I was mad all the way home...  Did a 4th race on that same course a month later and did OK...  But at least I finished it.

I am in Palm Bay, Florida...  Central florida on the east coast.

Edited by otter_sh 2009-12-29 10:38 PM
2009-12-29 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi there,I am hoping you have room for one more?My name is Michelle and I have been trying to start my first tri season for well over a year but have had one injury after another but I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and hope to do an enticer distance in 4 weeks or so ( it is summer here in OZ).I am 40 and mum of 2 / step-mum of 2 more.I was in a mentoring group last year and really enjoyed it but over winter it fell in a bit of a heap. I know I train better when I know there is the added accountability of a group
2009-12-29 11:37 PM
in reply to: #2583269

User image

Champion
Taser-World
slocumml - 2009-12-29 11:17 PM

Ohh, I like both of those designs! I'm going to need help remembering how to connect them to my page again though.

1) Hit the QUOTE button.
2) Highlight all the code from the table that you want, and copy it. (CTRL + C).
3) Go to your blog and paste the code (CTRL + V).
4) Save the page. You may need to refresh the page to see the table (CTRL + F5).
If you have trouble with it, just come back here and let us know.

Also, I'll update the table as we get new members.

ETA: Cool! I just found out that I can edit my previous posts. So I've added Michelle (mmh) to the table.

Edited by D001 2009-12-29 11:46 PM
2009-12-29 11:40 PM
in reply to: #2583291

User image

Champion
Taser-World
otter_sh - 2009-12-29 11:36 PM

suzimmer - 2009-12-29 9:36 PM Hi All!

I have 2 in college, 2 in HS....  Biking is OK, kind of slow but OK.  Swimming steady...  No indoor pool, but local heated outdoor not too far away.  Personal pool is cool for me about 75 or so.

My DNF was a mental breakdown....  I wanted to compete in a triathlon and not just complete one...  Started out fast in the pack instead of on the edge like normal...  Got bumped and banged and forgot how to swim, after doggie paddle for a little, rested on back of jet ski, finally swam to T1.  Got out of T1 ok, but very upset at myself....  Spent 8 miles planning on a new plaque for caboose club for last place in a race.  It was warm, so I was getting very tired....  T2 was a mess, rushed out, clip on number belt came free, missed cut out for entering run (change from where announcer said it would be), mentally out of it and very very upset....  Started up hill, had to walk and was very tired...  came down hill, saw another runner, said good job, she said same to me and I lost it...  Started crying and hyperventalated....  Laid down on side of the trail and that was it game over, 5 people assisting in less then 30 seconds, EMTs, the works...

Worse part was all I needed to do was finish and I got 2nd place for the series in my division because only 2 of us did all 3 races...  I was mad all the way home...  Did a 4th race on that same course a month later and did OK...  But at least I finished it.

I am in Palm Bay, Florida...  Central florida on the east coast.

Wow. But it sounds like you did learn from the experience, since you did the same course a month later and had no problems with it!

Palm Bay, FL. I've driven through there. I think I'll send you some of our snow. LOL

I'm in NC/SC. (I just moved to SC, but my family (and my old house) are in NC.) We had 17 inches of snow about a week ago. It was traumatic. LOL

2009-12-30 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
HI All,
Right now I'm procrastinating...I need to clean my bathrooms (we're having guests tomorrow).  So I decided to check on the group instead.

Welcome Michele!  Now, just clarify for me, is OZ Australia?
 Yeah, injuries suck.  I myself seem to have some kind of ache or pain all the time.  They just keep switching body parts.  In fact, I'm off to the podiatrist tomorrow to have my foot checked out.  Been giving me trouble since Chicago in October. 

So, what is an inticer distance?  A super sprint? 

Dee: I like the second design too.  Thanks for the instructions. Any little technical computer stuff is a bit of a challenge for me.

Steve: It does seem as though you learned from your mistakes.  Going out too fast can be fatal.  It is so easy to get caught up in the excitement at the beginning.  Although everyone is different, I found for me personally, that I need to go out easy in the swim to start, or I can't catch my breath, especially if wearing a wet suit.  Once I establish a rhythm and feel comfortable, then I pick up the pace.  You need to exit the swim feeling good and with energy.   If you are spent from the swim...well you lived it and it's not pretty.

Well, time to get some housework done. UG.

Check in later!

Susie
2009-12-30 11:25 AM

User image

Middletown, PA
Hi, Susie.  I was hoping you would have room in your group for another newb.  I'm a 39 year old, married father of 2 (B-10,G-7) who is trying to bounce back from a torn achilles.  I could use a group environment, to help keep me motivated to train, during those down days.

I'm signed up for a sprint distance tri on may 22nd, so i can't keep finding excuses to put off training.  now i spent the money, so i have to do it.

Drew
2009-12-30 11:33 AM

Hello, I would like to join the mentor group.

About me: My name is Joanna I live in Dallas.  I have been training off and on for about 3 years for a triathlon.   I usually get to week 12 in the training and I die off. 

My Story:  I have been active for most of my life.  I slacked off in my early/mid twenties and now in my early 30s I am wanting to add some variety into my work outs.  I have learned that I am not that bad of a swimmer, that biking is not my strength, and that I still enjoy running.  I have also had a few car wrecks and accidents that have caused some injuries.  My goal this year is to reach each finish line with no injuries.  I work as an Exercise Specialist and have access to a treadmill and weights all day so that helps with my schedule.  The reason I do this is because I can.  I love feeling strong and healthy and I feel that triathlon helps me stay injury free and I feel stronger as I improve little by little in each sport.  However, biking and I have a tough time (weight loss may help this)

Nutrition/Weight loss: I have a lot of food allergies and I am learning how to deal with these.  I struggle with keep sugar out of my diet and I always feel stronger when I do.   Ideally I would love to lose 30+ pounds.  I am 5'11" and my diet keeps me heavier than I would like.  I know that with training and watching what I eat that eventually this will be less of an issue.  I want to keep as much weight off my joints so I don't end up hurting myself.  I want to learn more about race nutrition.

Training: I write out my own programs (I have a degree in exercise) I have several resources I pull from. Currently I am base training Swim: 3xs a week, Bike 3xs a week, and run 3xs a week.  I mix up the times and distances so I am never in the gym longer than an hour and a half and some days not even an hour.  On days I "just swim"  I add in some weight training.    I do indoor cycling and 1 spin class a week right now.  Each workout has a 'purpose'.   I don't want to burn myself out.  So everynow and than I sneak a day off. 

Races for 2010:  Feb. (duathalon...maybe) April (Half marathon)   June (Spring Tri.) July (potential oly. tri)  September HIM (I am crazy).  Goal: To finish each race uninjured.  (I have done a couple of duathlons in the past and I love it!
2009-12-30 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
I will love to join

Story:  This will be my second season. In Oct 08, I was 318 pounds, my doctor said if I dont do something, I will be dead of a heartattack in 2 years.  I was pre diabetic, pre hyper tension, high blood pressure and high chloestrol. At the same time, I saw a re run of Kona that weekend.  I didnt know anything about the sport and googled it to learn more.  Slowly but surely, In June, I finished my first triathlon.

After that race, I have competed 3 more tris, and 3 TT bike races

Family:  its complicated

Current Training:  I train 5-6 days a week though its the off season, training season begins in Jan.  I have a PT who is a triathlete as well.

2010 Races:  "A"  race is Rev3 Half at Cedar Point. "B" race is Wendy Intl Sprint, the first race I ever did.  "b.1" a half mary, I am sponsored by a shoecompany and its in my contract, not too excited about that though. 3-4 other races under the "C" cat

Weightloss:  I started at 318 in oct 08, now I am 239. I have plateued for a bit on the weight loss. WOuld like to be around 200 for "a" race in Sept

2009-12-30 1:02 PM

New user

Hi Susie

If the group is still open I would like to join.  I did a duathlon in Sept and am planning on a Tri and the same duathlon this year. Working right now but will get back to you with more of a bio either this evening or tomorrow.

Thanks
Kemp

2009-12-30 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Susie,

I was wandering if I could join your group, if you’re still open anyway.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Mindy

2009-12-30 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: IBD Tri group (I'm Better Doing Tri's) Closed
"Welcome Michele! Now, just clarify for me, is OZ Australia? Yeah, injuries suck. I myself seem to have some kind of ache or pain all the time. They just keep switching body parts. In fact, I'm off to the podiatrist tomorrow to have my foot checked out. Been giving me trouble since Chicago in October. So, what is an inticer distance? A super sprint"Hi again,I forgot to toggle notifications so have been slow getting back sorry!!Yep, OZ is Australia I think it is a supersprint - 300m swim / 10k bike / 3k run.In the meantime I have managed to break a toe!! Just to add to my woes so I feel your pain I went to let the cat out and kicked the door frame on the way past - it is now nice and fat and purple and SORE!Guess the high heels are out for a bit Good luck with the bathrooms.
2009-12-30 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hi All,
Wow,  We're up to 12 now, so I just closed the group.

Welcome Drew, Kaiserman (what's your first name?), Joanna, Kemp, and Mindy.  Kemp and Mindy, looking forward to reading your bio.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone and what your goals are.  If you haven't been logging your workouts, now's the perfect time to start.  It really is a great motivator.  I'll be checking.Laughing

Speaking of logging training...I woke up feeling very tired so I thought  I'd do some cleaning and get on the trainer later, but after cleaning all day, I'm even more tired so decided no trainer today. (Although I did spend the day house cleaning so that counts for something.  Actually, you can log housecleaning if you wanted to.  I used to have a cleaning service... Ahhh...those were the days.)  But I digress, the point of this is not my cleaning, but the fact that you should listen to your body.  If you just know it's not your day, your feeling sick etc.  It's OK.  There are people that feel "I MUST DO WHAT"S PLANNED TODAY"  Flexibility is important.  Now, if you bailed on the day's workout plan every time you felt the least bit tired, that wouldn't work, but when you just know it's not the day... it's OK, especially in the off season.  Rest is just as important.  Sometimes just starting out slowly can be the key too. There are days when I feel as though I couldn't possibly do that run, swim or bike, but once I get going I start to feel better and I get in the workout.   

I bring this up since many of you have health issues, as I do, so it is very important to know your body.  I take a medication that supresses the immune system.   When I start to feel very fatigued, I know I need rest.  I LOVE naps (when I can take them).   Also, another reason for me to eat the right stuff, but that's for another day.

So to summarize:
- Get to know and listen to your body.  If you take meds, make sure you know what the side effects etc are.
- Get your rest when you need it.  Hard for the parents of young kids, I know.
--It's OK to miss training every now and then, just don't make a habit of it.
- Log your workouts
- and get a cleaning service! Smile

Susie

2009-12-30 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Now I have been accepted into this wonderful little group I should do as everyone else has done and share my "stuff"STORY: ( I'll try to keep it to the short version!).I am a mum of 2 (Cody 14 & Chloe 11) and step mum to 2 (Chloe 17 & Gemma).We live in Australia in a place called The Dandenong's in Victoria with hubby Chris, a 55k Rottie & 2 cats (annoying but cute).I have done 2 x Half Marathons - not setting any world records on time but as I am built for speed and not distance the fact I did them at all was a massive buzz for me. (Have also done plenty of 5 & 10k events and 1 enticer distance triathlon in Jan this year).Got excited about that so signed up for the Paris Marathon for my 40th in March this year. Had all sorts of troubles when i got to 25k and over in my long runs. Had foot problems that meant I had to pull out of the event at the 30k mark and along the way was diagnosed with Hip Displasia - this was a huge shock to me because unless I have major surgery they can't fix it. I spent a few dark weeks coming to grips with the fact my body had a major design fault and what that would mean for my future endeavours.Had Physio & Massage every week for the final months leading up to the marathon to manage my hip and couldn't believe a foot injury sidelined me in the end! I went over to Paris knowing I was not fully fit and chances of finishing were remote but I was there and decided to give it a go anyway. My longest run before the event was 33k but I stretched it out from the 5k mark when I knew I was in trouble and pushed to PB my Half time which I did by 20 minutes or so and then hung on for as long as I could before getting off the course to catch a cab back to my hotel.I'm not beating myself up for not finishing but it is still a disappointment.CURRENT TRAINING: In the last few months I have had cortisone injections into my hip and sacroiliac joint injections (ouch!) to try to sort out exactly what is going on and what the next steps are. I have a new doc and he is working in conjunction with my physio - they seem to think I can get by with only minor surgery (a hip clean up to deal with labrum tear and floating bone) in the medium term (won't even look at it this year) and will hopefully not go for hip replacement before 50 (10 years away). Right now I am working hard on strengthening my hip / back so have gone a bit backwards with my training as we had to reduce the load to get anywhere with the physio. I haven't run in 3 weeks and it looks like another 1 - 2 before I can start back but I am riding and swimming few times a week as well as weights a few times a week.I am on the committee of a new Tri Squad in our area and have been for a 9 months and have probably only managed 5 training sessions due to injury - so embarrassing!!! I'm hopeful I can be more consistent this year and will head back to training with the squad late Jan.My background is in Taekwondo, have been training for almost 20 years. I have my 4th degree black belt and competed at State / National level for years and had my own taekwondo school up until 3 years ago. I am off training for a few months again while I get this hip / back right.WEIGHT LOSS: Well it has just been Christmas!! I need to drop about 2kg to get back to my optimum weight - lack of decent training and festive season eating saw me stack it on in the last month!!I am really looking forward to getting involved in this group and getting to know you all better in the coming months.

Edited by mmh 2009-12-30 5:01 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » IBD Tri group (I'm Better Doing Tri's) Closed Rss Feed  

of 15