General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Max Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Half Max - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log
St. Louis, MO
United States
77F / 25C
Total Time = 5h 51m 15s
Overall Rank = 167/338
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/50
Pre-race routine:

Saturday: I left Kansas City and arrived in Innsbrook, MO around 2:00pm. Went directly to the race site and checked in and picked up my race packet. I then went to my hotel and checked in. The room wasn’t ready and I went to get a late lunch. Back to the hotel and settled in. By 4:00pm I headed back to race site to watch a free swim clinic by Jamie Cleveland and Andrea Fisher. Picked up a few pointers and filed them into the mental filing cabinet. Went to dinner at Applebee’s and then back to the hotel to relax. Shaved legs and in bed by 9:30pm.

Sunday: Woke up before by alarm to take a pee. Alarm went off at 4:00am. Ate breakfast (orange and poptarts with Gatorade to drink). Packed up and headed to the race site by 5:15am.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site by 5:45am. On the way to transition area, I stopped for another potty break. Got in line for body marking and then found a rack for my bike. The racks were un-numbered so it was a free-for-all. I picked a rack halfway between the bike exit and the run exit (they were on the opposite ends of transition). Racked my bike and organized my area. Put on my wetsuit with over an hour left until the race start. Sat through the pre-race meeting and went for a warm up swim. Water was 76.7 degrees. With a hot day developing I should have had a water bottle on me, but didn’t.
  • 38m 22s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters

My swim improved considerable from my first half-ironman last year. I really made an effort to draft behind someone and keep with the pack. I started off well, right behind someone. Then another person bumped me off my draft – that was a bit rude. I looked up and saw a group ahead of me, so I put in a few sprint efforts to catch up to the group. The water was clear enough for me to see the person’s feet in front of me. At about the half way mark, the first of the people in the wave behind me (I was in the first wave of male 30-39) passed me. They were women 18-45. The women passing me were FAST but I accepted the fact that I would make it back up on the bike. Made it out of the water – at the time, I felt like I was pretty slow, but I knew it was going to better than last year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s

Got to transition and took my time changing out of my wetsuit. The wetsuit really stuck to my forearms and I had to struggle to get the sleeve offs. I took a drink of water and two E-caps. Grabbed my GU packets and put on my bike gear. Wished some fellow competitors good luck and off I went. The transition area was pretty long and the ground was a bit uneven.
  • 2h 36m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.41 mile/hr

The bike course was definitely the hardest I’ve ever rode in a race. The course started out in a park like resort, with plenty of hills. The worst part were speed bumps that caused you to slow down at the bottom of the hills so that climbing back up the hills became an effort since the bumps reduced your momentum. Once outside the resort, the course was a lot better. The hills were more rolling and the day was actually a bit cool for the first lap. The course ended with a killer hill before the start of the second lap. It was exhausting. I turned the corner for the second lap and heard a spectator mention to the person in front of me that they were #42. I had assumed the 42nd person to pass, making me 43rd. Not too bad and I was going to pass a few people before we got out of the resort. The second lap got really hot and the wind started to blow. Ever time I climbed a hill I kept thinking to myself, “that’s the last time I do that one!” I passed a lot of folks climbing the hills on the last lap. Everyone was reserving their energy for the run I suppose. I should have done the same. My bike pace turned out to be 21.4 mph.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s

I got off the bike and into transition. This time I didn’t waste as much time and racked my bike took off my bike shoes and then put on my running shoes. Took another drink of water (which was way too warm). Grabbed my hat and race belt and left the transition.
  • 2h 32m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile

I started the run actually running. But by the time I hit 200 meters (clear of the spectators) I had to stop and walk. I probably should have kept going, because as soon as I slowed down, my legs got the best of me. The hills and slower pace caused my legs to slowly cramp. Every time I tried running again, I couldn’t make it more than 300 meters before a calf would begin to lock up. I would have to stop and let my muscles relax. There were a few times I thought my legs would prevent me from walking up the hills. The run course was not only hilly; it was mainly on gravel roads. At least I wasn’t the only one. There were plenty of people walking. I was able to try and run a bit of the flats and downhills, but in no way did I get any running up the hills. The course did have plenty of water stops and I would take two cups and pour them on me. I also tried to get a few electrolytes but it was too late for me. I will need to do better on my nutrition during the bike legs. A few notes. I was starting my second lap and a woman next to me looked at her watch. I asked her what time it was and she said she put in a 15 minute mile. I promptly went past her, so I knew I wasn’t going as slow as she was (though it felt like it). I came to find out that she was only on her first lap. Ouch! When I got into the finish shoot, I was surprised to see the time under 6 hours. I was running in the shoot and it was at 5:51:00. I made it across the finish line (with both calves cramped) but with the crowd there I couldn’t stop and walk in. I was also glad to know that I beat my goal time.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down??. After crossing the finish line I went directly to the transition area, packed up and then took off from the race site. Note to self, 3 hours in a car right after a race – not a good idea.

Event comments:

This race was really well organized. The competition was strong too. I can’t believe the number of folks that passed me. I ended up with a fairly decent time (better than I thought it would be considering the amount of walking I did on the run). The crowd was great too. After making the turn for the second bike lap the crowd at the turn really motivated me. I had some considerable problems with my right eye. I wear glasses normally and in races wear contacts. During the swim it felt like my right goggle was a bit leaky. Not enough where water filled the goggle, but it felt that there was some moisture moving around. I didn’t notice anything during the first transition, but after about 1 mile on the bike, my right eye kept blurring and my contact was really moving around. I kept trying to keep my eye closed to get enough tear moisture to correct the lens but it just didn’t work. The run was fine, but when I got back into my car I checked my eye and it was totally red. I quickly took out my contact, but didn’t have any means for cleaning out my eye. Once I got back into KC, I stopped at a drug store and got some Visine. I flushed out my eye (with a bunch of gunk coming out) and using some eye drops. My eye is still a bit red, but is improving. I almost think I had a minor cut on my eye.

After the race, I packed up car and got the hell out of dodge. I stopped at a gas station to pick up some Gatorade and some “road trip” food.

Last updated: 2005-04-19 12:00 AM
00:38:22 | 1900 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/338
Performance: Average
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Time: 02:39
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
02:36:57 | 56 miles | 21.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/338
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Time: 01:15
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
02:32:05 | 13.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/338
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

2005-06-07 10:30 PM

User image

Kansas (Kansas City area)
Subject: Half Max

2005-06-08 7:33 AM
in reply to: #170817

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
Subject: RE: Half Max

I'm curious, did you feel you had taken in enough nutrition before you got off the bike. 

I hate hilly run courses after a hilly bike. You did a great job with an impressive time.

2005-06-08 6:18 PM
in reply to: #170888

User image

Kansas (Kansas City area)
Subject: RE: Half Max
I do feel like I had enough nutrition on the bike. My plan was to make sure I hydrated enough (drink both water bottles) + pick up a water bottle. I was right on track on the first lap and finished a water bottle of gatorade endurance formula, the same with the second bottle. I also grabbed another bottle on the course. Right before I got on the bike I had taken two endurolyte capsules (electrolytes) and taken another capsule midway through the second lap. I also had a GU packet during the second lap. I probably could have taken another GU packet or two (I had another two packets on me, but didn't "feel" like I needed it).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Max Rss Feed