BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom Mentor Group - Out Training!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2010-01-01 11:19 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: Dodgersmom Mentor Group - Out Training!!

NAME: Dodgersmom/Marcy
STORY: I am 45 years old.  Married to BT'er Doughboy.  We live in the DFW area.  I started doing tri's 5 years ago after being an avid mountain biker and adventure racer.  To date I have completed many sprints and OLY's and 4 HIM.s  I am a solid MOP'er (middle of packer), but race for me, to have fun and keep fit. 
FAMILY STATUS: Married to Steve (Doughboy) for almost 17 years
CURRENT TRAINING: I am a USAT certified coach so I use a mix of BT plans and make up my own.  I work from home so it makes it easier to get my workouts in during the day which is a huge plus.  I am strongest on the bike.  I have always been a decent swimmer, but really need to work on it more. For me, the run is always a struggle, both mentally and physically.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last year's big race was the Eagleman HIM in Maryland. I did not have a stellar day to say the least.  I finished, but it was a struggle.  I also did some smaller local sprints, bike rallies and runs. 
2009 RACES:  This year will start with the LoneStar HIM in Glveston and end with LongHorn HM in Austin.  In between lots of local smaller races.  The thing about living in this area is that you can find something hapening every weekend.
WEIGHTLOSS: One weightloss goal...sub athena at some point this season.  I am getting pretty close, but those last few are always the toughest
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: BT has been such a huge part of my triathlon life.  The things I have learned both from reading the posts and advice from others has helped me so much.  I believe that what comes around goes around.  I do not have all the answers, but I have been around the block enough times to know who to ask or where to go.  I race for fun, and if you have the same goals - to cross the finish line smiling - you will be a great fit in the group!

2010-01-01 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2587714

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
Subject: RE: Dodgersmom Mentor Group - Open
Marcy, I would like to join if you have openings....My story

NAME: bulldog520/Wade
STORY: I am 38 (39 in 10 days) years old.  Live in Champaign IL.  I did my first sprint 2 years ago and realized that I REALLY hated running.  I started tri training last January and decided that i needed to get better and enjoy the running aspect more so i cancelled all of my tris planned and just focused on running.  I trained in running only and ran (ran/walked) 2 half marathons.  I am a MOP/BOP'er that is only interested in getting myself fitter, faster and enjoying each race
FAMILY STATUS: Married for 14 1/2 year, 2 kids (6 yo girl/6 yo boy)
CURRENT TRAINING: I plan on keeping up the running and getting back into the swimming and biking.  I also work from home and do most of my workouts during the day too.  I am strongest on the bike but really need to work on swimming.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am planning on 3 sprints, 1 olympic distance, 2 half marathons and a couple 5k's 
WEIGHTLOSS: i lost about 15 pounds with just the running but my diet has to be changed.  i want to lose about 25-40 pounds this year which i think is doable with the additional training and a proper diet

2010-01-01 5:45 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hi Wade!  Sounds like you and I have a lot in common.  I have at least gotten to the point with my running where there are actually times I kind of enjoy it!

Welcome to the group!

2010-01-01 7:59 PM

I was wondering if your group was still excepting members?
2010-01-01 8:12 PM

Veteran
Hi, I am looking for a mentor group. May I join your group?
2010-01-01 9:02 PM

New user

Philly 'burbs
Hi Marcy!

My name is Pam- I'd like to join your group!  I'm 37 and in my second year of tris.  I have completed 5 Sprints so far, and love it!
I am just strating to train again, as of today- after taking some off time.  My husband and I are both tennis and squash coaches ( and have other daytime jobs too). Although finding the personal time to train can be hard, I have found that I really miss it (oddly enough?!)
In short, I got bit by the tri bug.

My biggest hurtle last year was just proving to myself that I could get through it.  Now that I know I can, I really want to improve.  My weakest part is the run- never liked running, still don't like it.  It just hasn't "clicked" for me yet. (although I always try to smile during the run, I think it helps- a mental thing) I like the swim, I could swim forever...slowly.  The bike is fine, again, speed is generally not my friend. 

I train with my husband, Ty my biggest fan. He's always along for the run, strenthtraining, and running along the beach on the swim- he's the one who found BT, (Hense Ty for Ty4.

I would be delighted to loose about 10 pounds and gain speed. I'm 5'2" on a good day and currently 130. Improvement is my personal goal this year I would love to be in the top 1/2 this year- I'm not looking to break any records, just finish well and hopefully inspire some of my students! 

While I know I can finish the sprint, I need to learn the true skills behind all of the parts, and teach my body and my brain to work smarter.

I look forward to hearing from you!
What a great way to start the New Year
All the best-

2010-01-01 9:15 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hi Pam, Jeanette and Bryan.  Welcome to the group! 

So, how has everyone started the new year.  Friday's are usually my off day, but I could not let the first day of a new decade go by without doing something.  I have a Computrainer so this morning I rode an hour of the Ironman Louisville course.  If I decide to do an Ironman in 2011, that would probably be the one I would choose.  It fits best with my strengths and weaknesses.

Today, my focus is the LoneStar Half Ironman in Galveston.  I have done 4 HIM's but have never broken the 7 hour mark.  That is my goal for the race.  The course suits my needs pretty well.  Flat bike course and multiple loop run.  One thing I hate is being out there on a course all by myself.

Tomorrow is my long run day.  I have been having some weirdness with my knees so I am going to take it easy.  Any oain and I am going to stop.  Too early in the training season to mess them up.

What about all of you?  What are your racing goals for the upcoming season?

2010-01-01 9:37 PM

Veteran
Thank You for this group.
I am entering triathalons after a year and a half off. I like the shorter distances and I am doing this to have fun while getting back into shape. I love swimming it is my strong point, ok on the bike and grin and bear it for the run. I did 3 half marathons to try to improve my running- more like jogging though.
I have swim and run gear, but right now no bike.
belong to Bally's so I will train there as it is 10 degrees outside.
I am following plan from couch to sprint starting on Monday.
My new years resolution is to do at least one race this year, either the womens tri or/and the chicago triathalon.
2010-01-02 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Good morning all!  What's on the plan for today?

I have a 1:15 run.  May split it run/elliptical to make sure that my knee is OK. 

2010-01-02 5:35 PM

Let me first start by explaining my current situtation.
I did the 2009 Chicago Marathon this year with little of no training. My goal for the race was to finish which I did in 5:35. I also did a sprint tri last year with no swimming or bike training. Now that I know I can do these I thought this year I would try to train and actually take these races seriously. I recently started running since the marathon so today I ran 2 miles in 26 minutes.
2010-01-02 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2589686

New user

Philly 'burbs
Hi Guys-

I would really like to improve all of my times this year, but especially my running.  That in mind, I went out with the hubby for a chilly run today- 2 miles in 25min. He really helps me pace- I tend to just go at one speed and then poop out.  I'm leaning that I have to read the road, know when to slow, know when to lenghten my strides.  Very new at that. There was a  very strong headwind today- real temp of 25 windchill felt in the teens.  Came home and did strenthtraining- ab specific, and then off to tennis.  felt pretty good as I've never run in such cold weather- you know it's bad when the dogs (greyhounds) won't even go out.
I train at a local college which is closed until next weekend- so I'll get back in the pool in a week.... any suggestions for a good sprint plan that will help "push" me?  I'll spend some time tomorrow and pick out the races I'd like to do this year. I personally want to stick to sprint tris this year and really improve my times, while getting ready for the Philly marathon in the fall of 2010.
Best to all-
Pam

2010-01-02 10:14 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey gang!

Life got in the way for my training today.  My bro and SIL came into town on their way driving east from Sacramento to Virginia.  They are moving there.  My nephew (their son) has been here for the week so they came here to pick him up on their way.  They are spending the night and heading out in the morning. 

They were the priority today.  I loved having my nephew here, as I only get to see him maybe once a year, but I am also looking forward to having my life get back to normal, back to my regular routines and more importantly my regular eating patterns.  Having a 13 year old in the house means having food that I would normally never have.  I know I can just say no and not eat the junk, but my willpower has been worn down by what seems like 24.7 war games on the Xbox

So yellow square for me today, but tomorrow is a 1:30 bike ride.  If it is nice out I will attempt to get outside, but if not I will hit the IM Louisville course on the Computrainer.

Goodnight all!

2010-01-03 9:55 AM

Hi there!  Do you have room for one more??

NAME: talluleh/Adena

STORY: I'm 44 years old and live in Burlington Ontario, Canada.  Two and a half years ago I got out of a 10 year relationship and found myself about 50lbs overweight, terribly unfit and very unhappy.  I joined a gym and got a trainer in Jan 2008 and have been working out steadily since then.  I lost 25lbs over time but I found that I had trouble with motivation on and off.  A few weeks back my trainer and I were chatting over a few glasses of wine about what to do about this and she suggested yet again that I find a goal.  After some thought it came down to a Try a tri / sprint.  I was a strong swimmer growing up but haven't been in water other than a bathtub in many years but I did love the swim.  I joined a learn to run program in 2008 and ran a 5k that year and I have zero bike experience other than using the stationary bike for cardio.   I think the fact that there are three sports to train for with the tri will keep me from getting bored.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no kids.  My ex got the dogs in the separation.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have a plan set out using basics from "Triathlon Training for Dummies", stop laughing.  I can do more than the original plan sets out as far as running and have used a stationary bike for cardio so I think I'll use this outline but increase the run and bike times, set a baseline and go from there.  I will continue my twice weekly weight circuits with my trainer and the total training time weekly will be approx 5-6 hours for this round.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Try-a-tri in Milton on June 3 and Sprint Tri in Muskoka on July 24

WEIGHTLOSS: I would love to lose these last 25lbs! I have a training plan set out as you can see and I also have a nutrition plan for myself which is basically 1200-1300 calories per day.  The plan is limited carbs, not no carbs but carbs mostly from vegetables and whole grains.  I will assess  how I feel weekly and adjust from there.

I hope you still have some room left as I think having a mentor and support group would be fantastic!

Thanks so much for your time. 
2010-01-03 10:10 AM

User image

Pensacola FL
Room for one more?

NAME: DFSpence/Doug
STORY: 24 Live in Pensacola FL. Starting to train for first tri.
FAMILY STATUS: Single
CURRENT TRAINING: Just got a road bike for Christmas. Already have a good base for swimming and running. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Training for the FloraBama tri in April
WEIGHTLOSS: In the ideal range for my height, but wouldnt mind losing a couple.
2010-01-03 1:14 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Dodgersmom Mentor Group - Out Training!!

Hi Adena and Doug!  Welcome to the group.  I think I am going to close it out now as we have a nice number of people!

I will post a list of all of us.  It would be great for us all to add each other to our friends lists.  This way we can help hold each other accountable.  I know that sometimes I need that.

Finished my 90 minutes on the trainer today.  My goal with the bike is to learn to be more of a spinner than a masher.  For a long time I used to thing it was a bad thing to go into my small chain ring.  I would mash the pedals at lower RPM's.  A good friend and multiple time Ironman told me that all I was doing was using up my legs for the run.  So, today I kept my cadence in the 82-84 range for almost the whole ride. 

Now to watch some football and relax the rest of the day.  Other than a trip to the grocery store there is not much on my agenda.

Have a great day everyone!

2010-01-03 3:44 PM

I'm really new to the site so forgive my first stupid question. How do I add people to my friends list? Thanks.. **edited - I found it, not I'm not entirely sure I'll ever find it again but I've added everyone. phew!

Edited by talluleh 2010-01-03 4:07 PM

2010-01-03 5:03 PM

User image

Pensacola FL
Biked for 30mins at the gym today (7.6 miles). Did a crossfit style pyramid workout with pullups, pushups and situps.

My cannondale is at the bike shop for a few days for a tuneup and a fitting. Will probably run tomorrow. 
2010-01-03 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2591076

New user

Philly 'burbs
Hi everybody,
Just a quick note for today- basically took the day off from training.  Spent 1 hour of hard tennis singles, then 1 hour on court with student for some hard singles and on court pressure training.  Had the best intentions,  but after the run and tennis yesterday, my feet are plain old tired.
Decided to forgo the run today, so opted for an indoor 1 hour core workout.  Tomorrow I should be able to get some gym time, if the weather is still really cold (by Philly standards). I've got to get on the bike!  BTW did anyone watch any of the ironman highlights of the last decade on the US network on New Year's day? So inspiring!
Pam
2010-01-03 7:33 PM

Hi folks, well today has been a busy one for me, sort of.  I registered for membership here, thought I'd give it a try.  I meant to go Bronze and somehow ended up with Silver (slippery fingers oy) and then signed up for 30 days of nutrition support. I'm hoping to get a solid foundation for nutrition in the upcoming 4 weeks that I can carry with me until the race.

I started setting up a training log and at the last minute, about an hour before I was going to the gym, I imported a 20 week sprint training plan from the site.  It's a bit different than the one I had all laid out for myself which I had gotten from Triathlon Training for Dummies.  It's longer and more challenging, I figured since I've got the membership here I may as well get all I can out of it and I love how it imports everything into the calendar here and I can track, get stats etc.  It may sound ridiculous but this type of stats tracking can really help me stay motivated.

Instead of the 20m run I had planned I did 24m on the bike at between 8.2-8.5 and a 12 minute run where I only walked 3 minutes.  Am I the only completely new person here that also needs to drop weight as well?  I feel like such a novice.

Good job to everyone that got out there today and did something, anything, or even those that just rested.  Resting is good.  I didn't go outside except to the car and back, I'm not sure of the temps here, all I can say is bloody cold!

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day for me but I am seeing my trainer for 60 minutes of circuit training, want to keep my strength up. 
2010-01-03 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2591363

New user

Philly 'burbs
Hey Adena-
I can't figure out how to add everyone as a friend.  How did you get it to work?
Thanks-
Pam
2010-01-03 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2591449

Hi Pam, under your training log, it's under settings. I 'think' on the left side near the bottom is has a 'friends' link thingy (I'm so technical), click that and you can add friends. You'll need to know everyone's handle but there are only 7 of us so it doesn't take long. I think you can also get to it through 'settings' but I can't find the link for that.. I hope that was right. Let me know.

2010-01-03 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
hey everyone, i was traveling with the family and start back at my training tomorrow...i can't wait
2010-01-03 9:02 PM

User image

Fort Worth
I'd love to join if you've still got room.

NAME: Josh (the Fort Worth Squatch)
STORY: I'm 32 and teach school in Fort Worth, TX.  I am beginning to train for my first triathalon.  My goal is to complete the Caveman Triathalon in late April (so easy a caveman can do it--let's hope I can too!)
FAMILY STATUS: Married with a son (5) and daughter (8).
CURRENT TRAINING: I've been following a Couch to 5k plan for about a month.  I added in swimming and cycling starting last week.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: The Caveman Triathalon in Flower Mound, TX.
WEIGHTLOSS: My goal is to lose around 30-35 lbs by race day.
2010-01-03 10:24 PM

User image

San Rafael, CA
Hi,

Can you squeeze one more into your group?

Story: My name is Michelene. I am 37 and just joined BT. I completed 7 Sprint distance triathlons last year and 3 the year prior (my first excusion back into any form of physical activity after 4 years and the birth of my 2 kids 21 months apart! I have loved doing tris and it motivates me to get out and move like no other sport has.

Family: Married to Eric (who inspired me to "tri" after watching him complete the Escape from Alcatraz in 2008) 2 kids age 5 and 3

This Year's Races: It is all about 70.3 for me this year. I have registered to do an all women 1/2 Ironman Barb's Race which runs with the Vineman Full IM. My husband will be racing that day too in the Aquabike. I plan to do a couple Sprints and One Olympic before the big race which is July 31.

Current Training: Just got back to it Jan 1 after an inactive Nov. and Dec. Rode 20 miles today and felt slow and weak, but felt good to be back on my bike. Ran on the treadmill yesterday since it was raining. Trying to pick the right BT Training program right now too.

Weight Loss: I could stand to loose 10 pounds, but what I really get out of the training is overall better health. I am in a better mood and have more energy when I am training. I had high colesterol before I started doing tris and now it is totally normal.

I would really love to join you all so I hope it works out. Thanks!

Michelene
2010-01-04 7:47 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Dodgersmom Mentor Group - Out Training!!

Hi Michelene and Josh.  Always room for a few more. Welcome to the group!

Josh,  I did Caveman last year.  It was a fun race!  Michelene, I had not heard of an all women's 70.3. That sounds like something I would enjoy!!

What's on the plan for today gang?  I have a 60 minute ride which I will do on the trainer at lunchtime.  Tonight when Steve gets home we have a 30 minute run and upper body lifting

Have a great day everyone! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom Mentor Group - Out Training!! Rss Feed  

of 8