BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom Mentor Group - Out Training!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2010-02-07 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2587714

User image

San Rafael, CA
Subject: RE: Dodgersmom Mentor Group - Out Training!!
Ok, I am sorry to rub it in, but...It was GORGEOUS here today! Blue skies and 65 degrees! I went for a ride outside, 16 miles. I think every person who owns a bike in the Bay Area was out today! After a wet, rainy January, everyone was out at the first sight of blue sky! Rain clouds are rolling back in, but I am still glowing from the sun today

2010-02-09 9:38 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey guys...Back from the beautiful Caribbean into the cold Texas winter.

Vacation was GREAT!!  So relaxing!

I'll fill in the details tomorrow but so glad to see that you all have been busy!  11 weeks till my HIM.  I hope I am ready

2010-02-09 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
welcome back Marcy.  we need to start kicking some tail back on here....seems like only 3 of us still active while you were gone
2010-02-10 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
1000 yards in the pool today and 30 minutes on the trainer..tried a few different breathing techniques and still not sure about it, just got to keep at it, swim,swim,swim and swim some more!
2010-02-10 4:34 PM

Hi everyone!  I have not gone missing (for long anyway).  Work got the best of me last week and I only got 1 workout in.  This week I decided to change it up, I worked out yesterday morning at 5:30am (ewwww) but got in a 30 minute run.  Tonight with my trainer and then hopefully bike tomorrow but I have an early meeting so that may not work out in my favour but I'm hoping.  Friday is a rest day and then Saturday more trainer/run and then Sunday I swim, woot!

Did I mention I joined my local tri club?  I'm excited about it but  haven't made it out to any of the swims yet and this weekend doesn't look good for me either.  My friend is coming from out of town and I am puppy sitting, I can't wait!

How's everyone doing?  I haven't had time to catch up on all the posts but I will.  I haven't even updated my training log in over a week either.  Better put that on the to do list.
2010-02-11 6:39 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Well Adena, Wade and Michelene, we still have each other right!

Very uninspired trainer ride tonight.  The gym closed at 3.  Dallas/Ft. Worth is supposed to have a record snowfall and currently we have over 7 inches on the ground.  I know this is nothing for my Maryland and Virginia friends, but it is huge here.

The roads were OK when I went to pick up mom from work at 4, but as the temps drop tonight everything is going to freeze up and I think tomorrow morning is going to be bad.  So far, the only negative I have found from working at home is that I can't get a snow day!

Good job with the early workouts Adena.  Being a morning person, you would think it would be easy for me to do those 5am sessions.  But, the fact that the dog does not let us sleep through the night means that we try to eek out as many minutes in bed as possible. 

I was actually looking forward to getting back in the pool today, but the weather did not cooperate.  I have swims on the plan for tomorrow and Saturday.

This snow here is insane though.  This could very well be a record.  It is 6:30 CT and it is still coming down hard.  I personally love it!

2010-02-11 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
I ran a 5k on the treadmill today without stopping to walk AT ALL!!  i was so strict in my run/walk training for my two 1/2 marys last year that the furthest i EVER went was 15 minutes before a walk break.  I wasn't fast today but plan to work on speed.  Started at 5mph for first 25 minutes, then 5.5mph for 5 minutes, then 6mph for final 6 minutes. 

I swear running for me is so much MENTAL.  I knew i could jog the entire time without walking but my mind really started messing with me around the 12 minute time since i usually do a 12/1 split.

Good luck with the snow Marcy and please keep it there, i have had PLENTY of snow here in IL over the past week.
2010-02-11 8:58 PM

User image

San Rafael, CA
Hello All,

35 minutes on the treadmill this morning. Felt good, but wished I was outside. Turned out to be a gorgeous day here. We were supposed to have rain, but it never came. I am hoping it holds for som outdoor training tomorrow. Regardless a swim is on the schedule. I feel for those of you in the snow! I like the snow when I go to Tahoe and I am on vacation, but would not want to live where it snows. Well, I guess I can't really say that since I have never lived in the snow so don't really know. 

Hoping some of the others will jump back on when the weather lets up. Kudos to you all for "plowing" through and making it happen at home! 
2010-02-11 9:27 PM

Hey folks, nice job on the workouts today!  Wade I totally get the mental part of the run.  I'm still 3/1 walk split but I'm not pushing it just yet either.  Marcy holy geez on all that snow!  I am usually buried at this time of year so I am just trying to be grateful we haven't been dumped on. The last two winters have been brutal, I'll take any break from shovelling that comes my way.  haha  Michelene I'm jealous of your weather!

Puppy sitting tomorrow for me, then Saturday my friend wants to swim with me so I'm hoping for 50 laps in the pool this time.  Hopefully I can get her to time me on my 100's and get a good idea of where I am at with that. 
2010-02-12 2:09 PM

User image

San Rafael, CA
Swam 2000 today. It's raining and the heater at the pool went out so the pool was colder than normal, but not too bad. Of course to listen to everyone there you would have thought it was much colder than it was. I suppose after swimming in the SF Bay which is 48-56 degrees, no pool will feel cold. I really need to look at getting a swim coach, even if just for a few lessons. My stroke seems so ineffecient.

Have a nice long weekend everyone!
2010-02-14 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Happy Valentines day Gang,

Good job on the run Wade.  I actually do a walk/run interval on all my runs over an hour.  I have found that a 5/1 interval really works well for me.  When I do a half marathon, if I don't do the intervals, I find that by about mile 8 I have nothing left.  As a matter of fact, I was actually almost 15 minutes faster doing the intervals than when I just run until I cannot run anymore.

Yesterday I busted out a 2500 swim.  It was only supposed to be 2400 but my mind was wandering and I lost track.  I hit the lap button on my watch after each 100 yards so all I should have to do is count to 4.  Messed that up though .  I was actually really happy considering I have not swam that distance in a long time.  I made a promise to myself that for the next several weeks, on days I do not have a scheduled swim, I am going to go to the pool and do drills for 30 minutes.

The snow is pretty much gone.  It was nice while it lasted, but now we have so many tree limbs to clean up.  Lost 4 big limbs on 4 trees.  2 of the trees we are going to have removed anyway so nature just helped us out a little with that.

Off to the gym at 10 when they open for an hour run, then a nice Valentines breakfast, a massage and Olympic watching.  Plus, I have off tomorrow (one of the benefits of working for a bank) so another good workout day on tap.

2010-02-14 10:01 AM

User image

San Rafael, CA
Happy Valentine's Day! I am so soar this morning from my run yesterday. I went on a 4 mile trail run and it was straight up and down! I ended up walking most of it, even the downhill was tough with the steep descent and loose rocks. I have known for a while I need to introduce some elevation into my runs, but this was way too agressive. But I have to say amazingly beautiful through the Marin Redwoods, with lots of waterfalls. It always reminds me how lucky I am to live here when I have this in my backyard.

Long ride on the schedule today. The sun is shining so no excuses.
2010-02-15 8:07 PM

User image

San Rafael, CA
3 mile run and 1000 in the pool today. Seriously considering a rest day tomorrow after the last 5 days every day, but I have my first race April 17 and Feb is halfway done! Plus, it was 72 here today and more sun tomorrow so hard to rest! We will see how I am feeling in the a.m. My legs are pretty tired after 3 days of running and a good ride/climb yesterday.

Hope everyone if doing well. It is pretty quiet on this thread. Hope the chatter picks up! Would love to hear what you all are up to. Marcy, I saw your training via FB. Nice job and "pat pat"
2010-02-16 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
ran 3 miles continuously again today and swam 1100 yards yesterday.  kind of feeling a little funky like i might be coming down with something and my daughter is sick tonight with a 102 fever so my training will be limited tomorrow which might just be a blessing for me.

2010-02-17 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
35 minutes on the death machine trainer today
2010-02-17 8:16 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Great job on the running Wade!  Today it was actually really nice out but my work schedule and evening plans kept me inside

Michelene...take those rest days. Your body needs a chance to recover.  The season has not even started yet, too soon to be injured!

This weekend I have my last long run before the half marathon, 10 miles.  No matter what the temps, I am going to have to just suck it up, there is no way I can run 10 inside!

2010-02-18 8:56 PM

User image

San Rafael, CA
Rode my bike to work yesterday (26 miles) which includes riding over the Golden Gate Bridge, my favorite part of the ride. I was clear and 72 yesterday! Had dinner with my boss's parents who are visiting from Chicago and they were say how cold it has been and how much they are loving San Francisco. Took the Ferry home, and missed the 8:50pm so had to wait an hour for the next, in the fog, by the dock. I have no voice and a soar throat today. Needless to say took a rest day. I have a "Fit Test" tomorrow to get my body fat, max HR, and some other measurments. I am excited as I have never done this. Hope to repeat in August after my big races are behind me and hope to see great results!

Kids are off school tomorrow and rain coming back so not sure what we will do. Legos?
2010-02-19 11:06 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
swam 1100 today and worked on some breathing drills, still having some problems finding my sweet spot when i rotate to the right to take a breath....then did 30 minutes on the trainer this afternoon

doing 5 miles in the morning and then a night out with the boys tomorrow night.  have a good weekend everyone!
2010-02-20 8:37 PM

User image

San Rafael, CA
6 mile trail run today. Was not feeling 100%, but I ran the whole way and got it done. If the rain holds of I plan to do a ride in the morning tomorrow. I have to admit I have let me swim workouts slide this week. I am not feeling motivated in the pool and definitely think I need some stroke advice. I plan to go to a group workout next weekend with a local tri-group so hopefully that will light a fire for me.
2010-02-20 8:46 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Wade and Michelene.  Great ride and run "M".  Riding over the GG Bridge sounds beautiful.  In my younger years, I lives in Ft, Lee New Jersey which is just on the Jersey side of Manhattan, right by the George Washington Bridge. Back then I was a big time couch potato and did not even own a bike or running shoes, but now I know how cool it would be to ride or run over it into NYC.

Today proved to be a mental toughness day.  Attempted to ride outside on the Trinity Trail, the temps before we got there were OK, but once we started riding the wind got really strong and it felt about 20 degrees colder than it was.  My body felt warm enough, but my ears started hurting from the cold.  After 7 we packed it up and went home. 

I got some new aerobars yesterday and had them put on.  Went to the LBS and had my fit adjusted to them (I was riding my road bike outside).  Got all fit and put the tri bike on the trainer and pedaled for 2 hours!  I LOVE the new bars.  And the fit is spot on.  I think it is the best I have felt on that bike.

Tomorrow is my last long run before the half marathon next Sat.  I really do not feel ready, but at this point there is not much more I can do.  I know I will finish, but probably not as good as I am really capable of.

2010-02-21 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2684110

User image

San Rafael, CA
Hi Marcy. So I have a question for you about road bike vs. tri bike and aerobars. I have a road bike that I just bought a year ago. I love it. Before that, I never had a road bike, just a 15 year old Mountain Bike that I used for my first 2 tris. I get on that bike now and cannot believe I ever completed even 10 miles on that beast. Purchasing a tri bike is not in the financial plan right now, but I have considered getting aerobars. Do you think they are necessary for a 1/2 IM? I worry I will spend too much time trying to get used to the aero position and loose momentum on my training for the longer distance. What do you think? I need to find a place that can recheck the fit on my bike too as I replaced a part to adjust the handlebars, but now not sure everything else is aligned right. 

Good luck on your 1/2 Marathon! Be sure to post a race report here.

2010-02-21 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
good luck on the race next weekend Marcy!!  I need to get a professional fit on my tri bike soon.  The more seat time i put in, the more i am convinced that it's not setup right.

also, my training is on hold for a few days...on boys night out last night, i missed a step down at the bar we were at (and had about 1 cocktail too many by then) and face planted on the ground resulting in a concussion and a broken nose.  the bar owner was freaking out and there was blood everywhere.   Needless to say breathing during workouts (esp. swimming) may be a little difficult for a few days
2010-02-24 4:29 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be MIA the past few days.  If you have looked at my logs, you knowwe have beenealing with some issues with our dog.  Started Sunday when out of nowhere out older beagle (Dodger) started yelping.  She was in obvious pain.  She seemed to get a little better after someresting.  Forward a few days.  The vet thinks she has some degerative disc issues.  She got a high dogase shot of steroids and is on another steroid and muscle relaxer.  Today she is doing better.  Just had us preoccupied for a few days.

Michelene, I think going with a road bike and adding aerobars is a great idea.  Do you need them for a HIM...no, not really.  It does depend on the terrain whether they would be helpful.  On a flatter course, you will get more speed in aero.  On a hillier course, not as much.  The key thing is that you have to get fit properly. The geometry on a road bike is a lot different.  If you have a good bike fitter you will be fine.

Wade...why did you fo that??  A concussion is nothing to take casually.  Rest up and make sure you get Dr clearance to work out again.  So sorry to hear that

At this point I know I will finish Saturday, but concerned that lack of sleep and no training this week may come back to bite me.  It will be a nice distraction though!

Edited by dodgersmom 2010-02-24 4:30 PM
2010-02-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2691653

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
dodgersmom - 2010-02-24 4:29 PM

Wade...why did you fo that??  A concussion is nothing to take casually.  Rest up and make sure you get Dr clearance to work out again.  So sorry to hear that

Honestly I have no idea what happened, wasn't drunk but had a few, just missed the step, think i tried to grab a stool on the way down and it moved resulting with no hand to block the fall and honestly don't remember a single thing after that, don't remember bleeding, going back to my friends house, anything.  Woke up Sunday morning and looked in mirror because i just hurt and saw the cuts and swelling.  Drove home (1.5 hours) and went to bed without realizing i had a concussion (thank God i got home safely).  Dr. said i could resume working out in 4 or 5 days but if i started to feel tired from pushing it too fast too soon to back off again. 

Good luck on your race this weekend Marcy and really sorry to hear about Dodger.  I hope they can keep her pain level down and have her back to her old self
2010-02-26 11:04 PM

User image

San Rafael, CA
Hi Wade and Marcy (anyone else there???)

Marcy, good luck tomorrow in your 1/2 Marathon. Wade, how's the head? Hope you are feeling better.

I have not done anything the last 2 days. Rain and work got in the way. Going for a run tomorrow, running the course for the Escape from Alcatraz to get a preview. Looking forward to it. I am signed up for a swim clinic Sunday morning so good weekend.

The cherry blossoms are already blooming in front of my house so it seems Spring is not far off! So ready for it. Just glad I am not on the East Coast!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom Mentor Group - Out Training!! Rss Feed  

of 8