BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group - CLOSED UNTIL DEC 2010 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-01-02 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2588049

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group - open

Ann and Charlotte - you are both in...seems to add nicely to the mix in the group.  Ann, an Olympic will be fine if that's what YOU want to do....that's the question.

Charlotte - you are set up nicely to have a great year....

Welcome aboard ladies.....more later....

I think we will take ONE MORE NEWBIE and then shut it down.....who will be our last new member??????

2010-01-02 4:44 PM

Extreme Veteran

ALL - later this evening or tomorrow - after we add one more newbie - I am going to copy all of these posts over to the other list....along with a bit of intro to the existing group....you will be welcome....all questions are welcome and they are some smart folks so they can help you too.....one of them is also a mentor in another group and the others are qualified to do it if they chose.  Feel free to fire away at any of us.

I travel some with work so I am in and out from time to time but try to check in regularly.  For example, I am travelling with work leaving tomorrow back on Monday afternoon, out Monday evening, then back on Wednesday and then to Disney with my wife and wonderful sherpa, Debbie for her first half marathon.....on Saturday.....

Hang in there....ask away and we will get you all to the finish line....

See you at the finish line,

Bryan

2010-01-02 7:08 PM

Chapel Hill, NC
Bryan et all...

thanks for taking me in.

I live near Chapel Hill NC, and work at UNC. I am 31 with 2 young children... 3 1/2 years and 15 months. My wonderful wife keeps us all on an even keel and puts up with my 4:40 wake up time.

I've done several sprint tris and 1 xterra... allbeit almost 4 1/2 years ago. children and graduate school got in the way. I have made the goal of doing 2 xterras this summer.

I am a biker at heart. I lived in the mountains of NC when I did my first xterra and fell in love with road riding as a training tool. Now that I live in the flatlands, I've picked up the trail riding again.

As I said in the earlier post, I do the other two disaplines so that I can race. I really enjoy the race-day atmosphere.

This will be an interesting experience for me, as I am trying to do this with a training plan and a much more diaplined approach.

right now I am spinning 3 times a week for 60-90 minutes. We cycle through sub-AT endurance rides, speed play, and intervals. I am intermitantly adding running & swimming into the mix.

My 2010 races:

Xterra Tsali - 6/6/20
Xterra Atlantic Cup - 6/20/10

I know they are close together, but should be fun.
2010-01-02 7:32 PM

Extreme Veteran

Walker - are your current rides outdoors, on a trainer or in spin class? 

So all of you know, I am a big fan of spin class IF they are (that's a big IF) IF they are set up to simulate outdoor rides.   If they have a bunch of crazy jumps or up/down/up/down/up/down crap then I am not as much of a fan....in any case - I ride as if I am outside.  If you go to a spin class you are hereby ordered (wow that was strong) permitted to NOT DO WHAT THE INSTRUCTOR SAYS IF THE INSTRUCTOR IS NUTS - and you can tell them I said that....LOL....simulate an outdoor ride and spin class can actually do you as much or more good than an outdoor ride....(the sound you hear is the soap box scraping on the floor as I climb off).

2010-01-02 8:13 PM

Chapel Hill, NC
Bryan,

The rides are in a spin class, though luckily taught by riders and not aerobic instructors. I agree completely about the crummy classes that are out there. If one of my normal instructors miss class and the sub is not a rider, I settle in for an endurance ride in zone 2. I also tend to ride with a HRM so make the class what I need it to be vs. what the instructor wants it to be. My gym tends to show old tours or tris on screens, so if a class is going badly, I can focus on the displays, or on the music.
2010-01-02 8:23 PM

Extreme Veteran

Walker - sounds like my club...the instructors at Lifetime here in San Antonio are almost all riders and I ride outside with many of them so they do a nice job....I reinforce from time to time that is why I come to class....on Saturday mornings if the weather is bad I ride the 8:30 class then ride alone from 9:30 - 10 and then ride the 10 - 11 class for an awesome 2.5 hour ride....it is really good when it is intervals or hills....makes that second hour grueling but fun.....on your next "on your own" ride....try this one....warm up, then do a 20 minute time trial (as hard as you can without blowing up) then 2 minute spin to "recover" and then hit it again for another 20 minute TT -- good luck on the second 20 minute interval....the goal is to ride both 20 minute intervals very similarly in exertion without an explosion.  This is a classic power measuring workout to determine threshold power....

2010-01-02 8:45 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana

I'm very interested in this group if you still have an opening.  I've been training on my own, and I'm ready to start an organized countdown for my 2010 events.

I was a college swimmer and I completed two half-marathons last year.  Right now I only average about 12 minute miles on the run, but I had no issue going the whole distance without walking.  I'm slowly adding seat time to my bike rides so that I can improve my bike leg, which is my weakness right now.

I'm still planning my race calendar, but I've done some sprint distance triathlons in the past and plan to do some Olympic distance this spring and summer and end with the 1/2 Ironman distance Rev3 event at Cedar Point in Ohio.

Right now I swim once a week, run 2-3 times a week, and cycle 1-2 times a week.  I usually do some eliptical or aerobics classes too for some variety until I can get back outside more.

I know I should swim more, but right now I'm happy with my swim endurance and pace, so I really want to build up my mileage on the bike.

2010-01-02 9:00 PM

Extreme Veteran

swimmermama - welcome aboard....you will be the door closer as I am going to close up our little group.....so you made it.....yippee!!!  As far as your training right now...I would like to see you on the bike more....focus on that limiter....if you have access to spin class it is better than a trainer....see my post above regarding instructors....but time in the saddle will make a big difference....the swim will come back very fast....trust me....

Welcome....please take some time and read over this post and the earlier ones.  I am about to give you all the link to the other group....please save that as your favorite as we will move there from this point forward.....

if you come back here I will find you and redirect you....don't worry.....

2010-01-02 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2590029

User image

Regular
Indiana

Oh... and my name is Nancy, by the way Wink

I'm 34, and have a 7 year old and a 5 year old.  I'm usually home, but my husband travels for work and is a pretty serious cyclist, so our training time has to be pretty organized to fit it all in.

2010-01-02 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2590058

Extreme Veteran

Folks --- here is the link to our HOME....PLEASE SAVE THIS PAGE AS YOUR FAVORITE.....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=100380&posts=1&start=1

This is where we will be housed from this point forward.

Edited by left.right.repeat 2010-01-02 9:52 PM
2010-01-02 11:25 PM

User image

Montana
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group - CLOSED UNTIL DEC 2010

43 year old divorced male from Montana with  2 children, boy 11 and girl 8

Training for a HIM in Oliver, BC in June then plan to do some other races over the summer, though  I have none planned as of yet.  I have done 12 Xterra triathlons over the past 3 years.  I started out as a biker and thought triathlon would be a great challenge.  The swim is by far my biggest challenge as I only learned to swim in the past 4 years.   I used to say survive the swim and race like hell on my bike and hope to have enough  left for the run.  Though I seem to have improved dramatically over the past few months on the swim. 

2010-01-03 12:59 PM

Extreme Veteran

Bikemt - you are welcome...please go to the link in the post above or below to find our active group

2010-01-03 1:00 PM

Extreme Veteran

We are closed....sorry if you didn't get in....

If you did get in - please go to

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=100380&posts=1&start=1

this is where our group will be housed

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group - CLOSED UNTIL DEC 2010 Rss Feed  

of 2