General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-08-02 5:59 AM
in reply to: #2600824

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon : Official Thread
Great race!  I took almost 70 minutes off of my time from last year, so I'm definitely happy.  Course, the lack of a flat tire and hardly any wind helped with that!  Still I'll take it.

The only things I didn't like were the expo - I know they had good intentions, but that setup did not work at all - they should go back to what they had last year.  Also, the finishers shirts - yes, I know what the thought there is, but having to wait in line for 10-15 minutes in the hot sun while my knee is in a good deal of pain and all I want to do is go see my family is not the way I want to end a race.  I'd rather just get the shirt at the expo.

Other than that I was glad the weather broke for us and especially for the spectators.  It  ended up being a beautiful day!!

2010-08-02 6:31 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I'm with you - that lineup for registration was a MESS.  OMG.  I couldn't believe how long it took to get through.  Plus not enough pens to sign, not enough room, etc.

I did get my shopping done while my SO stood in line for me ... but it wasn't fun for him. *sigh*

Seriously - for parts of the race yesterday that t-shirt was all that was motivating me. *laughing*  I DID hope they were the navy blue of the volunteer shirts (my favourite colour) but I did like the design with the lighthouse on the back.  Plus I was happy it was a long sleeve this year - always useful. 

My line for t-shirts wasn't as long - so I didn't notice.  But there were some people standing in line who didn't look so good...
2010-08-02 4:41 PM

Madison, WI
I had a good race too - my first (last?) 70.3  I was soooo glad the weather worked out as it didn't look good at 4 AM at all. 

I felt strong on the swim and bike and for most of the run....until mile 8 when i really had to dig in mentally and physically to finish.  probably should have paced the run better, but very happy with the results as i didn't really expect to flirt with a sub 5 time.

glad to hear many others had a good race and met their goals.  hopefully ironman will get the pre/post race stuff a little more organized next year. 

by the way, my steelhead source said it will 'always' be under 78 as it just depends how deep you want to take the reading! 
2010-08-05 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft Campbell, Kentucky
OK, now that I am back in the land of internet............ My sister in Wisconsin only has dial up....Surprised

I agree with what everyone already said. The sign in, registration, Expo was terrible. Took me over 2 hours to go thru it all. It might have been longer. The good part was getting to talk with a bunch of folks while standing in line. Alot of new people who had a million questions. The same with going thru the stations for your registration, they could have all been in one line in sequence.

I got lost trying to find my way around town and ended up following someone with bikes on top of their car and made it to the transition area.

This was my first time I did Steelhead, and while I knew there were 2 start points, it never occurred to me how we got there. hahahhaaha, OK so we all walk. Other than the rain, it was a pretty nice walk.

I did the same, started slowly on the bike to start off, once the roads dried I picked it back up.

The actual race itself was ran very well. Aid stations in good spots. I did stop to talk to the Lauf Deutschland Lauf for minute.

I ended up with a 5:36, pretty happy all considered where I was 72 hours earlier and NO swim training at all.
2010-08-06 12:59 PM

Madison, WI
nice job, laffenguy.  i was wondering how things went for you.  enjoy your remaining r&r !
2011-11-10 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2683283

User image

Liverpool

I'm there! My aunt lives 20 minutes from Benton Harbor, so we're going to make it a family reunion of sorts. I can't wait!!!

Plus, I'm recovering from foot surgery so I'm even more eager to get moving. I hope to best my 703. Syracuse time from 2010, 6:41.42.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5