General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Push through or pull back Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-12 4:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: Push through or pull back
OK-

So, I've hit kind of a burnout point, I think. I'm in week 11 of the BT 20 week oly plan. I just keep delaying workouts the last couple of weeks. My legs are perpetually sore, I'm tired and I'm not having a boatload of fun at the moment. Is this normal for when you hit the peak weeks of a plan or should I pull back some on training? If I should pull back, is it better to pull back on number of workouts or duration of workouts? My other option is to hope the recovery week next week re-energizes me or maybe that now that I've hit peak, I'll adjust into this training volume.

2010-01-12 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2610414

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Push through or pull back
What's your recovery plan like after the big workouts?  ie getting any extra protein in, ice baths, massages etc.  If your starting to hit some big volumes you might need some or even all of the above to help you get through them.

In time you need them less. 
2010-01-12 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2610459

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
cottoneyes - 2010-01-12 5:22 PMWhat's your recovery plan like after the big workouts?  ie getting any extra protein in, ice baths, massages etc.  If your starting to hit some big volumes you might need some or even all of the above to help you get through them.

In time you need them less. 
So far none of the above. My recovery plan is typically lie face down on my living room floor for about 15 minutes after setting out a towel to soak up the sweat. Sadly, my volumes are laughable for most on this site, but the bike is killing me on both the medium and long bike and even my long run is starting to get to the point where it is a long run for me. I thought about an ice batch after my last long run, but I've never done one. How cold should an ice bath be? It sounds like abotu the last thing I'd want to do coming in out of the 18 degree weather, but if it'll freshen my legs any I'll listen.

Edited by randomguymike 2010-01-12 5:26 PM
2010-01-12 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
cottoneyes seems like a pretty smart man/woman(sorry, didn't check your logs). Lots of sleep, good food, and massages can make a world of difference.
2010-01-12 5:27 PM

User image

Regular
Depends what your goal is?

Personally I'd lighten up on the load, if your feeling burned out then no point hurting yourself just to log some numbers! There will always be tomorrow when you're feeling re-energised.

The plans aren't gospel as there's many different levels / volumes out there to suit your requirements. Listen to your body and adjust to suit.

Also - take a step back and remember why you Tri and what your training for. It's a tri / life balance thing after all

Rich
2010-01-12 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2610463

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
randomguymike - 2010-01-13 10:24 AM
So far none of the above. My recovery plan is typically lie face down on my living room floor for about 15 minutes after setting out a towel to soak up the sweat. Sadly, my volumes are laughable for most on this site, but the bike is killing me on both the medium and long bike and even my long run is starting to get to the point where it is a long run for me. I thought about an ice batch after my last long run, but I've never done one. How cold should an ice bath be? It sounds like abotu the last thing I'd want to do coming in out of the 18 degree weather, but if it'll freshen my legs any I'll listen.

First thing I'd recommend is active stretching while sitting there for the 15 minutes.  No matter the volumes this will help with the movement later on, worse thing to do is completely stop after a hard workout, at least try to move around a bit.
Can't help with the ice bath, I'm close to the ocean so use that when I need to, usually is quite cool most of the year, others might be able to help with this.
Massage I try to get every couple of weeks, we have these chinese massage places at shopping centres which are quite cheap, I find them good for recovery.  I only get them to work on the legs, the rest of the body is usually okay.
I have a protein shake after longer hit outs to help with recovery, or days when I have a few big sessions.  Some say this isn't important, but if you try to aim for 1.5 - 2 grams of protein in your diet for every kg of body weight you should get enough this way.  There's 4 calories for every gram of protein so if you do a food diary online for a few weeks you'll get an idea if you have enough protein in your diet.
Don't be afraid to skip a session if you are pushing on towards a goal-race, recovery is important and more mistakes are made from over-training than under training, it's a fine line to work out.  Volume will come in time, I keep getting amazed how each year (4 years in this sport now) I can do so much more than a year ago.

2010-01-12 6:19 PM

Veteran
Hey Mike!
I think you answered your own question in your first sentence! I have been there too many times in the past until I learned to read my body. Ultimately you have to decide but I would consider seriously taking a day or even two off. Sometimes it is the hardest thing to understand but if you are overtraining you are losing fitness! Overtraining means your body is not adapting and recovering. If you do this now with your recovery week coming up, you should be able to hit your most important phases upcoming in good shape. At the very least you should cut back intensity before anything else and running before biking or swimming, especially with your tired legs. Take care and train smart. Rooting for you!
2010-01-12 11:56 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
This is one of the problems with generic training plans... they don't take you and your life situation in account.

It really does sound like you need to take a few days completely off to recover. Have you been taking a complete rest day during the last few weeks? What about changing one training session per week to a "free" session, i.e. you can do whatever you feel like. I've found that this helps me a lot
2010-01-13 5:21 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
I'd take a few days off to start with.  Once you start again focus more on recovery after training, check your nutrition strategy (throughout the whole day not just after training).

You could also try changing your training program a bit - tailor it to your lifestyle or substitute workouts that bore you with ones that you like. 
2010-01-13 6:02 AM
in reply to: #2611009

User image

Champion
MA
audiojan - 2010-01-13 12:56 AM This is one of the problems with generic training plans... they don't take you and your life situation in account. It really does sound like you need to take a few days completely off to recover. Have you been taking a complete rest day during the last few weeks? What about changing one training session per week to a "free" session, i.e. you can do whatever you feel like. I've found that this helps me a lot

I agree with ^^^

Generic plans make assumptions about things so you need to learn to listen to your body to make changes that work for you.

You live in IL and doing a 20 week plan now at week 11 to race an early season tri in warmer weather. I'd guess after that you will be training for local races. You have maybe 30-40 weeks of tri training ahead of you. You need to keep fatigue at bay and also keep your mind on.

Take a few days off until you are excited to get back to training. Learn to listen to your body and try to avoid getting to this place in future.

Last week I was feeling off and fatigued. I have a coach so we had me take a 1.5 days off and had two very light days. I feel so much better.
2010-01-13 6:07 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Another thing that I would question is what is your effort level during your training sessions?  If you have to lie face down for 15 minutes on the floor afterwards, it sounds like you may be doing all your workouts as hard as you can.  This is not necessary, and can actually cause injuries.  Some should be hard, and some should be easy.

2010-01-13 7:11 AM

User image

Runner

You're going too hard too often.  Back off volume, back off intensity.

2010-01-13 9:43 AM

Champion
South Jersey

Pull back. Reduce number or workouts, duration, intensity...whatever you have to do to feel better, even if that means a few days off. It's only January.

2010-01-13 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
Lots of good points above. 

One other thing to think about is that your run speed seems much faster then your bike and swim comparatively.  If the run is a strength for you consider either backing off the run volume or just running slower.  Hopefully that will give you more energy for your swim and bike workouts.     
2010-01-13 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2611009

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
audiojan - 2010-01-13 12:56 AM This is one of the problems with generic training plans... they don't take you and your life situation in account. It really does sound like you need to take a few days completely off to recover. Have you been taking a complete rest day during the last few weeks? What about changing one training session per week to a "free" session, i.e. you can do whatever you feel like. I've found that this helps me a lot

^^^^ This is the only thing that helps me at all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Push through or pull back Rss Feed