Shadow Tours
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 28m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, my buddy and I drove out to Ocotillo the day before in my motorhome and stayed at the Ocotillo RV park (Tiny place but great people) and it was only 2 miles to the start/finish of the century. We BBQ'd some steaks and baked potatoes, got our cycling gear ready, and hit the sack early. We woke up at 5:30 AM and we were pleasantly surprised by the mild temps. We were expecting and had gear for pretty chilly weather (Low 40's). Luckily, it was already about 54 degrees by the time we stepped out of the motorhome to make the 2 mile trek to the start. We were also really worried about the winds because we were told it can get extremely windy out there, but again the wind gods were kind and there was not even a hint of a breeze that early
Event warmup:

Breakfast consisted of poptarts and oatmeal. No real warmup to speak of, unless you count the 2 mile ride to the start line
Bike
  • 7h 28m 50s
  • 100 miles
  • 13.37 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride started off well, we really tried to pace ourselves on the way out from the start because we did not put in enough training over the holidays to be adequately prepared for this ride. Also, both my buddy and I got sick within the last three weeks which really hampered our training as well. However, we fared pretty well all things considered. We averaged about 12 MPH on the way out to the turnaround, which was not too bad since it was mostly climbing. I was really hoping to average at least 15 for the ride, but the heads winds on the way back changed all that. What downhill advantage we had on the way back was cut short a bit by the wind. That was a little frustrating to say the least, since the race organizers claimed that typically there is a tailwind on the way back coming from the NNW. No such luck for us of course.
Post race
Warm down:

2 mile ride back to the campground. Of course we did not do this by choice, we simply had no other way back. Took a shower, downed a Vitamin Water and hit the sack for a half an hour.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Headwinds and really unsure of the course and the difficulty of the climbs. I am pretty confident I will do better next year.

Last updated: 2009-10-15 12:00 AM
Biking
07:28:50 | 100 miles | 13.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was absolutely beautiful. This is a unique century, in that you complete the entire century on one road! There are no turns, literally no stoplights, only 2 stop signs along the route. It is a 50 mile ride out, turn around and head back the way you came. As far as climbing is concerned, this is where it gets challenging. There is a total of over 5,300 feet of climbing along the course. Many people would believe that all of the climbing is on the way out to the turnaround and then it is basically 50 miles back downhill. I can tell with great certainty this is not the case. You have to prepare mentally to climb on the way back, because you will!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge