General Discussion Triathlon Talk » donating dual red or platelets and recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-09-17 3:22 PM
in reply to: kdlsch111

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: donating dual red or platelets and recovery

Originally posted by kdlsch111

I gave blood last year for the first time in a long time and did some research. It takes 6 weeks to be 100% back to normal. The main time you would notice is if you were racing in that 6 week timeframe, so I give in the offseason. THis doesnt apply to whole blood.

I red shirted for the University of Wyoming Track team my Freshman year of College.  When I met with the coach the summer before my freshman year as a prospective student he shared some of the team information he had written up to give me an ideas of what type of a program he ran.  He had a PhD in high altitude training so listing that part of his training plan for his athletes was to increase blood volume may have not seemed like an odd thing for him to list.  Along with the blood volume he explained to me that he counseled athletes to not give blood if there wanted to be on the team.  So I didn't give blood while I was on the team and haven't give blood anytime I have been training for something.  I have always assumed the 6 weeks thing since that is about what I saw in the research too but knew people that were able to give blood with seemingly like impact on them.  Thanks for all the comments. I have wondered about this for decades.  :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » donating dual red or platelets and recovery Rss Feed  

of 2