General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-18 3:42 PM

User image

NH
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival : Official Thread

This is my first HIM, and I see a few others are doing it.  Just thought it would be fun to start a thread.  I know it's a LONG way out but I think it's ok to start early.

2010-01-19 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2620206

New user

Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival : Official Thread
My husband and I are in for this one First HIM for both of us. We are very excited!!
2010-01-20 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2622750

User image

NH
sac1177 - 2010-01-19 6:28 PM My husband and I are in for this one First HIM for both of us. We are very excited!!

Awesome, this did seem like a good first timer HIM.  Though that ski slope run after the swimn will be interesting.

Is your husband on BT as well?  My wife runs, but no tris yet!
2010-01-20 5:38 PM

New user

Yeah, not so sure about the ski slope...My husband is on BT (pfoley58). I'm sure he'll chime in on this thread soon! Get your wife on board! It is great to do the training together!
2010-01-23 11:40 AM

User image

New user
this will probably be the first race that I actually win (competing against my wife... not the field.)
2010-01-27 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2630427

User image

NH
I wish my wife could be converted.  She runs with me on occasion, but it's just a fun way for her to stay fit.  She backs me in my addiction obsession tri training though.

Now that you've layed the gauntlet down Paul, you'd better not lose!

2010-02-19 9:17 PM

New user

NH
This will be my firs HIM as well as my first time writing in a forum or thread thingy, but have competed in several sprints. I not really quite sure what to do as far as training right now 8 months out . I have have never really followed a training program have just biked swam and ran a few times a week and have placed top 3 age group every race. I have a few books with programs that go out about 16 weeks. I think for now getting a good base in is what I should do. But not quite sure about specifics. The race is a long way out but I think its good to start chatting in the off season, gets me pumped.
2010-03-02 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2682950

User image

NH
lov2race - 2010-02-19 10:17 PM This will be my firs HIM as well as my first time writing in a forum or thread thingy, but have competed in several sprints. I not really quite sure what to do as far as training right now 8 months out . I have have never really followed a training program have just biked swam and ran a few times a week and have placed top 3 age group every race. I have a few books with programs that go out about 16 weeks. I think for now getting a good base in is what I should do. But not quite sure about specifics. The race is a long way out but I think its good to start chatting in the off season, gets me pumped.

I've signed up for a half marathon next month, which kept me running through the winter.  I've never run before late last summer, so I needed to get some miles in.  I think this far out it makes sense just to get some work in depending on your goals.

The one thing everyone I've talked with mentions is that the 70.3 is a different animal and you have to respect the distance.  I think 16 weeks is plenty for a program though, especially if you're in reasonable shape for the three sports - which it sounds like you are.
2010-04-21 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Anyone know if the HIM sells out?  I may sign up mid to late summer.
2010-04-23 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2808752

New user

Hope the training is going well for everyone!

We talked to some people from the race at the multi-sport expo. They said the race was half full at that time, the sprint a bit more full, but spaces were filling at a rate quicker than usual.  They anticipated it would sell out, but they didn't say when. 
2010-04-27 5:42 PM

User image

NH
The sprint is expected to sell out in the next few weeks.  No idea about the HIM.

2010-04-28 6:26 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
I'm thinking of signing up for this since it's been almost 3 years since I did a race.  Probably just need you guys to push me in that direction  

That and some $$ to come my way.  These things have gone way up! 
2010-06-18 9:04 PM

Expert
Salisbury

How accurate is the elavation on website?  It looks fairly flat.

2010-06-22 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2931272

User image

NH
Rencor - 2010-06-18 10:04 PM

I think they are accurate.  I've mapped the bike course on Delorme and it looks pretty flat relative to typical New England rides.  Does anyone have any plans to ride the course?  I'd like to try that just to get a feel for it. 

Has anyone swam in the lake?  I hear there are weeds, so I was just wondering if the weeds are throughout the whole swim or just near the shore.
2010-07-28 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2936173

Expert
Salisbury

wbayek - 2010-06-22 9:52 AM

I think they are accurate.  I've mapped the bike course on Delorme and it looks pretty flat relative to typical New England rides.  Does anyone have any plans to ride the course?  I'd like to try that just to get a feel for it. 

Has anyone swam in the lake?  I hear there are weeds, so I was just wondering if the weeds are throughout the whole swim or just near the shore.

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified that it looks flat considering the location.

2010-08-02 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3011094

User image

NH
Rencor - 2010-07-28 8:43 PM

wbayek - 2010-06-22 9:52 AM

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified that it looks flat considering the location.

I drove the bike and run courses and both seem fairly flat, certainly compared to the Timberman route I ride on weekends.  There are a lot of turns and several left turns though, two left across what was a very busy state highway.  I'm guessing there will be some serious traffic control at those turns, though Sat morning the traffic should be lighter.  Much of the bike was on very nice country roads, not even any painted lines at all.  It will be great as long as there aren't too many racers and aren't many cars.

Has anyone swam in the pond?  How are the weeds and such?  It looks like a nice though pretty small pond from the parking lot.  And the hill to run up to T1 looks like a real HR burner!

In general, a beautiful area and the roads looked pretty good.

2010-08-23 9:47 AM

User image

Exeter, New Hampshire
I just finished timberman 70.3 this weekend (6:00:00) and pumpkinman is the next one on my list. I am not a good swimmer and had a very bad one (even for me ) this weekend (49:00), but that time was still 1993 out of 2800. I was just looking at the swim times for pumpkinman and they seem a little too fast. The winner last year did 21:59. Andy Potts set a new timberman record this year and his swim split was 22:43. Chrissie Wellington did the same with a swim of 25:40. No cut to the pumpkinman racers, but I have a hard time thinking that the pond is that much faster than the big lake. The average time at Pumpkinman would put you top 20 percentile at timberman. I should be able to get my swim down to sub 40, but still I would the last out of the water; whereas, timberman I would be solid middle of the pack. Has anyone who has done this race shed some light on it. ( I realize I am overanalyzing this, but I am an engineer and this is what I do ).
2010-08-26 4:20 PM

User image

NH
I've thought the same thing Kevin, and I think the bike may be a little short as well.

Also, any word on the lake conditions from anyone who has done this one?  I've heard there are some weeds and I just wanted to check so I'm mentally ready.
2010-09-06 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3066096

User image

New user

I live in S. Berwick and swam the short course.  The weeds are not too bad, I think they raked them out a bit, at least at the entry.  Once I got a few strokes out, it was clear.

The sprint bike is not terribly hilly but there is this ONE hill that is long and steep near the end just after the wooden bridge--no ability to build speed before.  I'm new to triathlon so maybe it isn't bad for a seasoned vet.
2010-09-06 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3083583

User image

New user

Quick update:  as I exited the pond today I felt weeds, so maybe if you swim until there is 6 inches of water, you won't hit the weeds, otherwise, be prepared for a little bit of that.
2010-09-07 11:27 AM

Expert
Salisbury
I have a couple questions. I received an email that I believe said I could swim Friday morning before 9:00 at the race site. Is this true? (I can't find the email now for some reason)Also, is there an EXPO of some kind? (Again, I can't find my email)

2010-09-07 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3085224

User image

New user

Yes, you can swim on Friday morning but must be out of the parking lot by 9am.   If you go to the pumpkinman triathlon website then click on the Coaching and Training tab, it tells you there.

Good luck!

Don't know about the expo.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival : Official Thread Rss Feed