United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m
Overall Rank = 42/
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing really. I did put up the "Suck It Up Buttercup" sign my dad made for me.
Event warmup:

None. That was what the swimming portion was for.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 250 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

It went better than I thought. I am learning to swim freestyle this week and am looking forward to swimming faster. I think I will do the open water option next year as I would like to be able to get into my rhythm w/o worry.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself up in the start. I was faster than many others. Start my watch so I could have the time. Freestyle swim rather than breaststroke.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Put a shirt on to cover the trisausage casing. Baby powder in socks really helps.

Get the bike gloves on before getting on the bike. Put the Garmin on the bike before the race, not in transition. I was worried about it getting stolen. Actually, I need to get a cyclometer rather than use my Garmin. Unbuckle the bike helmet before the race.
Bike
  • 47m
  • 13 miles
  • 16.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed a lot of people and was only passed by a couple of men. I had to get as far ahead as possible because my run is so pathetic. A lot of mountain bikes on the course.

Ride my bike after the tune-up and before the race. My bike had trouble shifting to the largest front chainring.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Had a wardrobe malfunction that required a couple of minutes in the bathroom.

Not have the wardrobe malfunction. Remember to take my bike gloves off. Don't take the time to put the Garmin on. I got slowed down messing with that.
Run
  • 44m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run the entire distance and I did. This is a HUGE accomplishment for me. You know you are slow when the loose dogs in the residential area don't run after you-you are too slow. . . My run was right what I expected it to be. Did I tell you how happy I am not to have walked?

Learn how to drink from a cup while running. Run faster :)
Post race
Warm down:

Eat pizza and visit with family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight, which is 15 lbs lighter than my last tri, but about 30 more than I want to carry. My running speed. I also need to practicing spinning higher gears.

Event comments:

It was well run and organized. There was pizza after the race and all who know me know that I will do about anything for pizza. They had volunteers at key places, but could probably use more. The transition area could have been more secure. There were enough pottys. The course was well marked. I had a nice time. It was fun to see other newbies becoming triathletes. I didn't use my HR monitor because I was afraid it would distract me.

Last updated: 2005-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 250 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes, I wore one
Course: I did the pool sprint. Up and back in the same lane, move to the next lane, repeat, for 5 lanes. The water is right from a spring and was quite warm. The racers were sent off in 10 second intervals. I positioned myself in the back because I do the breaststroke and thought I would be slowest. I passed several people and wasn't passed. The pool was too short and too crowded to get into a rhythm in the swim. That was OK.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:00 | 13 miles | 16.60 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: If the course were divided into quarters, the second and third quarters had headwinds. The other had tailwinds. The first half of the course was flat and the last half had speed bumps and small hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:21 | 03.1 miles | 14m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Paved trail and then gravel trail with some uphill and downhill. In a residential area and then along a slough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-11 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Utah
Subject: Saratoga Springs Triathlon

2005-06-11 4:24 PM
in reply to: #173031

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: RE: Saratoga Springs Triathlon
Congratulations on winning the Athena division.  It sounds like you learned some good things for your next race.  One little suggestion.  Lose the gloves all together.  You really don't need them in a sprint, and you will save a little time in T1 and T2. 
2005-06-12 5:29 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
LOL about the dogs. Anyway, great job and congrats on winning Athena. I hope you got a cool medal or something. Keep up the awesome work with the running!!
Jessica
2005-06-12 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Great Job your second Tri...way to go to win your division!!

You did great on your bike and wooohooo for running the whole way...great accomplishment. L

Keep up the good work!!

I look forward to reading your next race report....great job on weight loss....you rock!
2005-06-13 8:29 AM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
Great report. I tried to look for you but was too busy trying to calm my own nerves at the race. I too thought this was a well run race. It was impossible to go the wrong direction on the bike or run because the road was so well marked and those great large signs at every turn. Also it didn't hurt that there was a volunteer at every corner to point us in the right direction. Did you see the guy walk his bike-- my dad said he lost a wheel or something. I passed him on the first part of the bike portion walking his bike and when I came back he was still heading up. I admired his determination. After I finished he made it into t2 and the went hauling on the run-- he was back like 15 minutes later. It was amazing how fast he was.
Anyhow, great job. Guess I should write my race report, huh?!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Saratoga Springs Triathlon Rss Feed