Sarasota YMCA
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 17s
Overall Rank = 1459/1573
Age Group = M55
Age Group Rank = 52/54
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5AM. Coffee and some fruit for breakfast. Left for the race site at about 6PM. Not much traffic and got there about 6:15AM. Got a parking spot close to the start/finish line. Picked up my chip and wandered around the vendor tent area and looking for people I knew - didn't see too many.
Was a bit chilly, but not too bad and knew the conditions for the race would be great, especially after the sun came up.

Event warmup:

Jogged around a bit about 20 minutes before the start. Felt stiff and couldn't get loose. Was kind of chilly so didn't want to take off my warm-ups until just before the start. Got into the starting chute with about 10 minutes to go.
Run
  • 57m 17s
  • 4 miles
  • 14m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I wasn't adequately trained for this race, especially compared to last year, so was aprehensive psychologically before the start. Ran "easy" pace with pack through the first mile. Started hurting on the climb up the bridge. Got out of my run/walk intervals. Going down the far side felt good. I felt light-headed for a few seconds at the bottom of the bridge which was a little concerning/scary (particularly for someone with past cardiac issues). Walked through the first water station and grabbed a cup of water. Felt okay so pressed on. Was disappointed to see time of 27 min and change at the turn-around. Grabbed another cup of water at the station just after the turn-around, not because I was thirsty, just because it was there. Took one small sip and then carried it along for about a 100 yds then threw it away.
Did a lot of walking going back over the bridge. I think my legs hurt more when I walked then when I ran.
Probably could have pushed harder over the last mile, but was just out of it psychologically.
Time of 57 minutes was disappointing since I did 48 min last year. At least I broke an hour.
Interesting that my HR and breathing rates never got too high; just my legs felt awful.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. Lose the weight I've gained back since the Sarasota half-marathon last year. Be smarter about my run/walk intervals. Do some training running the bridge.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and walked around for a few minutes. Put on my jacket and then hung around the vendor's tents and watched some of the entertainment on the stage.
Grabbed some food: 1/2 a bagel at the Publix tent and a hot dog at the Boar's Head tent.
Wanted to get a massage but the line was long and I wanted to keep moving around rather than getting stiff standing in line.
Hung around for about 30-45 minnutes and then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, too much weight, age & physique, in that order. Wasn't in a good frame of mind since I knew I wasn't properly prepared. No one to blame but myself.

Event comments:

Not a good outing, but no one to blame but myself. Trying to just think of it as a training run. Need to do a lot of work between now and the half-mary.

Last updated: 2010-01-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:17 | 04 miles | 14m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 52/54
Overall: 1459/1573
Performance: Below average
Mile 1: 12:48 Mile 2: 15.07 Mile 3: 15.14 Mile 4: 14:10 Ave HR: 137
Course: Race started in parking lot of Van Wezel performing arts center on the Sarasota bay front. First mile along Tamiami Trail to Ringling Blvd. Over the mile-long Ringling Bridge (El. 60') over Sarasota Bay. Turn-around at the entrance to Bird Key, then back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes