Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Floridians I need Advice!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-29 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Floridians I need Advice!!
HI Folks,

My DH and I (and our 1 year old) are hoping to go to Florida for the second week of March. My dad has a place booked for the month in Davenport (which I think is a suburb of Orlando) – so we are seizing the opportunity for free digs. Anyway, I am looking for some ideas on the best and most exciting things to do in the Orlando area! We are planning to go to Disney of course. We are hoping to do one day with just the two of us, and then bring the baby for the next day. We are trying to cash in on the Give a Day thing… but it is proving to be a challenge.

What about Busch Gardens (vs Disney)… would it be better for us to go to one or the other with a 1 year old.

I hear Cape Canaveral is only about an hour and a half away…

Should we try to go to Miami??

I have heard FL has been getting some pretty crappy weather. What can we expect? Will we be able to swim in the ocean? We are coming from Canada, so I can guarantee the weather will be better than it is here, but should we bring shorts and tees, or jackets and pants?

Anything else?

Again, family friendly things are good. We will likely rent a car... but want to always be able to bunk down in Davenport.

I thought of trying to do a tri while I was in Florida… but it seems too complex to try and get a bike and arrange the whole thing… and I am worried about Alligators!! ?

Thanks in advance!

2010-01-29 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2642557

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: Floridians I need Advice!!

You might want to post this in the FL forum as there are lots of people from around Orlando.

2010-01-29 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks, I didn't even think of that... not sure how to "move" my own thread, but I will post it again there. Admin can move if necessary!

Cheers,
2010-01-29 11:42 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

With a child that young it probably doesn't matter Bush gardens or Disney.  Busch gardens tends to have more roller coasters than Disney.  Little kids love the Magic Kingdom, but it can be daunting depending on how crowded the park is.  We didn't take our daughter to Disney until she was 4.

Florida is a loooooooooong state.  It's not like the orlando area is a quick jaunt to Miami, it's probably a 4-5 hour drive from Orlando to Miami.

In the Orlando area there is also universal which has a bunch of roller coasters.  For adults only I'd do either Epcot with all the World showcase, or Universal which has more roller coasters and more adult themed things.

There's also Sea world to consider, which can be fun.  In March, coming from Canada you will probably be ok with shorts and tees.  Could get some rain, but typically temps in the 70's during the day.  I'm from Florida so swimming in March would be insane to me, but hey, you're from the Great White North.

2010-01-29 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Woah woah woah!  Welcome to our state, for sure, but if you tried to do all you are mentioning, you will waaay overexert yourself and your baby.  Especially since Davenport appears to be about 35 minutes from WDW.  You probably will need to rent a car if you are going to do half of what you say.

We are planning to go to Disney of course. We are hoping to do one day with just the two of us, and then bring the baby for the next day. We are trying to cash in on the Give a Day thing… but it is proving to be a challenge.

For the day that is just the adults, I would suggest Epcot, especially if you are a lover of world foods.  I adore the food and ambiance at the restaurant in Morocco.  Lots of eye candy in the international section, but perhaps a little less interesting to a 1 year old.  Definitely take the 1  year old to the Magic Kingdom and bask in the unadulterated wonder you'll see on that 1 yr old face when a parade of characters sings their way past!  In planning your day, know that it takes a good 35 minutes to get parked, tram to the ticket and transportation center, then take a boat or monorail to the park before you even get in. 

What about Busch Gardens (vs Disney)… would it be better for us to go to one or the other with a 1 year old.

Busch Gardens is going to be a little over an hour away from where you are staying.  If you and your partner are really into roller coasters, this would be the place to go sans child.  Even with your babe, there are lots and lots of animals to see at Busch Gardens (I live in Tampa, and IMHO it's better than our local zoo in that regard!) and two dedicated kid-only play areas, although they are heavily water-play related.  Also, they have a "kid exchange" program (Disney does too, just ask a cast member) where one stands in line for the roller coaster, then you switch off and the other person goes basically to the front of the line. It really depends on what you are looking for -- 1 is a good age for the wide eyed wonder of Disney, but a 1 year old would have fun anywhere. 

I hear Cape Canaveral is only about an hour and a half away… Should we try to go to Miami??

Miami is Waaaaaaaaaaaay out of your way; I wouldn't try that.  It's like a 4-5 hour drive.  As for Cape Canaveral, it's about 1.5-2 hours from where you will be staying, and it' pretty neat if you are into rockets, but may not be much fun for your 1 year old.  I took a 3 and 6 year old last year and they both thought the best part was the playground that could be had anywhere.  But they also really enjoyed the rockets; your 1 year old won't.  I would personally save that for a later trip unless you or your partner are really into outer space.  I find the place absolutely fascinating!

I have heard FL has been getting some pretty crappy weather. What can we expect? Will we be able to swim in the ocean? We are coming from Canada, so I can guarantee the weather will be better than it is here, but should we bring shorts and tees, or jackets and pants? Anything else? Again, family friendly things are good. We will likely rent a car... but want to always be able to bunk down in Davenport.

It will be warmer than Canada, for sure!  By March, you should expect shorts and tees mostly, but bring sweaters/long pants for after dark, as it can sometimes get chilly at night.  You'll especially want layers for the baby.  You will be able to swim if you have access to pools; most hotel pools are heated to boot.  (Though most locals won't hit the pool until at least April!)  There are some of the world's best beaches on the West Coast, but where you are, you will have to travel 1-2 hours in either direction to get to a beach, since Orlando is smack dab in the center of the state (you could do Daytona to the Atlantic, but it will likely be swamped with Spring Breakers, and I personally feel the Gulf beaches, like Ft. DeSoto, are much nicer!). 

I thought of trying to do a tri while I was in Florida… but it seems too complex to try and get a bike and arrange the whole thing… and I am worried about Alligators!! ? Thanks in advance!
  Don't worry about gators.  I wouldn't swim in a random retention pond, but organized races are pretty safe, and gators don't live in the Ocean.  It's more the logisitics of finding a race that works for your dates.   Most races directors can recommend a bike shop that does rentals near the race site, if need be.   Depending on when in March, there is also the Disney Princess Half Marathon (which also has a 5K component if you would rather go shorter).  Disney races are expensive, but lots of fun, good support, pretty medals,etc. 

Have a fun and safe trip!

Edited by dinabean 2010-01-29 12:08 PM
2010-01-29 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2642638

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
For Epcot, I have a couple suggestions:

If you're going to have dinner there at any of the international places, BYPASS the Future exhibit and go in behind it and make your reservations right away. Then go back and see what you want to see. Also, the Italian place is AWESOME!

Don't try to do ALL of Epcot on one day. Break it up with some time in Magic Kingdom. If you try to do it all at once, it just gets into overload.

The water park is a lot of fun too.

2010-01-29 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2642698

User image

If you are interested in planes or history, I went to a pretty cool place called Fantasy of Flight. It is about 30 minutes from Davenport.

2010-01-29 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
I thought of trying to do a tri while I was in Florida… but it seems too complex to try and get a bike and arrange the whole thing… and I am worried about Alligators!! ? Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about the gators, you don't have to be faster than the gator you just have to be faster than the last guy.  Wink
2010-01-29 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Kennedy Space Center (Canaveral) is the better part of 2 hours taking the Bee-line tollway from Orlando.  It's good if you like space mission stuff.  My advice is to do KSC before you do Disney.  KSC is really a government facility that offers tours, but they don't really get the "tourist/entertainment" gig the way Disney does.  After you spend a day at Disney, you'll be frustrated at all the little things KSC doesn't do (and you didn't realize Disney does, until you've got the immediate contrast).  Your 1-year old won't really care. 

Atlantic beaches (Canaveral/Cocoa, Daytona) have better surf action if you like playing in the surf but tend to be colder and windier than Gulf beaches.  Gulf beaches are probably a little closer to Davenport and you don't have to drive through Orlando to get to them. 

Might be worth hitting the beach AFTER your day at Disney.  Our feet were sore for 2-3 days after spending a day at Cocoa Beach with all the little tiny cuts from shells/sand.  It would have been miserable to spend an entire day standing. 

Not sure how a 1-year-old will respond to Disney.  If you've got a third adult (Grandpa) to watch the stroller while you and Mr. Dog hit the coasters, it's probably worth paying for Grandpa's admission, otherwise you'll be riding by yourself and then your husband riding by himself so one of you is with the stroller.  (Disney will let you ride one after another without waiting in line again and they have a stroller/kid exchange area at most of the big rides). 

If you've never been to Disney (Magic Kingdom), it's a Theme Park, not an Amusement Park.  Think of it as a showcase for Disney animation/characters/themes.  Some of the animation is pretty dated (but fun from a nostalgia perspective).  If you don't appreciate the tie-in to the characters and history, it can seem pretty lame compared to amusement parks. 

On the Gulf side, I remember going to Tarpon Springs (North of Tampa) and browsing shops at the sponge gardens.  You might also consider Crystal River for Manatees (check to see if they're around before you go). 

2010-01-29 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2642745

User image

I wouldn't listen to any of these native Floridians telling you not to wory about the gators. They just want to go through your luggage for valuables after you are torn to shreds. Gators are everywhere in Florida, retention ponds, drainage ditches, swimming pools, bathtubs, water rides, and often hide underneath rental cars, pouncing when they see tourists.

2010-01-29 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok... honestly wasn't too stressed about the gators... I just know there are tons of threads about sharks so I thought I would throw it in there.

This is great food for thought... even Mr. Dog is now tracking the thread!!

We will be renting a car for sure... but you have all convinced me that Miami is out. We were planning one Adult day where Calla stays with Grandpa and his Snowbird Cronies. However, since we are travelling with a one year old... I don't really care how amused she is the whole time. I am definitely ready to geek out on space stuff... so whether she is thrilled or not is a moot point.

I have been to Disney and FL... but the last time was in 1988 and the trip truly ended in tragedy (my Aunt was hit by a car and killed)... so I am looking forward to creating new memories of Florida. I am also pretty sure that Disney has quite expanded since those days... so there is much to see and do.

I would LOVE to do Sea World... but the cost for all these places seem to be adding up. Maybe a few lower price events would be good. That is why I was thinking of beaches... or anything else.

Grandpa has a house rented and it has a pool... so that should be a blast. The baby likes water... but she really is still just a baby, so water venues are still going to be based on how long she stays warm in the water.

2010-01-29 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2642777

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
eberulf - 2010-01-29 12:35 PM

and often hide underneath rental cars, pouncing when they see tourists.

The locals or the gators?
2010-01-29 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2642923

User image

Champion
graceful_dave - 2010-01-29 2:24 PM
eberulf - 2010-01-29 12:35 PM and often hide underneath rental cars, pouncing when they see tourists.
The locals or the gators?

Both
2010-01-29 5:46 PM

User image

Veteran
I live in NH but have a vacation home in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.  New Smyrna is approx. 1 hour and 15 min from Orlando.  New Smyrna is a wonderful treasure in my eyes. If you would like an adult day on the beach this is the place to go.  15 miles of white sandy beach.  You can rent bikes and ride on the beach stopping along the way for lunch or drinks at Chases on the Beach or The Breakers.  If you want to bring the baby for fun in the sun and sand that would work too.  You can enter the beach in your car or if you would prefer a no drive zone you can do that too.  Bring your running shoes, rent a bike and guess what you can do your very own triathlon!  I would recommend a day at the beach for sure, you won't regret it. And coming from Canada, in March, you will love Florida.  All the natives will look at you like you are nuts when you are enjoying the ocean water, but to us true northern s, it is a treat!  NSB is north of Coca Beach and just 20  min south of Daytona.  A real family beach.  Let me know if you would like more information.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Floridians I need Advice!! Rss Feed