LinMark
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 49s
Overall Rank = 154/350
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/22
Pre-race routine:

Standard pre-race breakfast, got to the site about 1 1/2 hours early. Just kind of hung out looking at the bay, it was a nice morning.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 41m 49s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I chose this race because it is close to 1/2 IM distance plus I expected the conditions to be as bad or worse than my goal race in August. Well, the bay didn't disappoint. Perfect weather, water was a little warm, but the chop was relatively heavy. The first leg of the triangle took me over 20 minutes, it was tough to get into any kind of rythmm swimming into the chop. My goggles got really fogged up and I ended up doing a fair amount of breaststroke the first leg.

2nd leg went better, was able to do freestyle the whole way except to sight, chop seemed to be pushing me a little which was good. 3rd leg went well too, it was along a sea-wall type thing, so it was easy to sight.

Overall, navigation went okay. The fogged goggles cleared themselves up (weird). Because of the chop I wasn't comfortable swimming for a ways w/o sighting, and when I did sight I had to stop and breaststroke (chop+fogged goggles), so I wasn't able to get into a good rythmm.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more in OW. I don't think there is anything left to practice in the pool besides a little more sighting. I didn't get very tired and was able to push towards the finish pretty hard. All it boils down to is that I need more practice.

One of these days I'll get beyond simply looking at the swim as a survival test and more as an actual race!
Post race
Warm down:

Shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience swimming in relatively heavy chop. I felt bad for the 4.4 mile swimmers, since they were less sheltered than our course (and therefore had even more chop!).

Last updated: 2005-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:49 | 1760 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/350
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Sleeveless
Course: Triangle (sort of)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-13 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Subject: Chesapeake Bay 1 Mile Challenge

2005-06-13 11:09 PM
in reply to: #174233

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: RE: Chesapeake Bay 1 Mile Challenge
Nice job! The chop was pretty rough this year. One thing I've learned about swimming in waves and chop is that you have to give up the idea of a steady rythmic stroke and adjust your stroke with the waves. I find myself speeding up/slowing down my stroke as the waves pass through to try to pause briefly at the top of a wave then quickly 'grab' a few strokes as I pass down the back of one wave. This is nothing scientific, just something I found that works for me.

Are you in for the 4.4 next year?

Edited by econway 2005-06-13 11:09 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chesapeake Bay 1 Mile Challenge Rss Feed