Running Fit
21F / -6C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 0630. Planned on getting out of bed around 7am but my DH was so gassy that I thought I would choke if I didn't leave the room. ;) I got up ao 0640. Started my morning with peanut butter toast with sprouted bread and a banana, cup of coffee. Tried redoing my profile pic on facebook, now that doppleganger week is done, and it would not let me put up a new pic. After lots of frustration I saw the time was almost 8am and started to freak. I quickly dressed (luckily I had set everything out last night) and was out the door by 8:10a.m. Swerved all over the road, pinning my number to my shirt while driving down the highway and then took the wrong exit. I ended up stopping at a gas station to ask for directions and using their bathroom (good idea because I was running short of time and hate port-a-potties). Turns out I was only 2 miles from my destination so all was good.
Event warmup:

8:50am arrived and parked. Made my way to the gathering area and met up with Sushigirl, Kristen, Travljini, and Paul. Andrea (travljini) had her new doggie and hubbie there to cheer her. Hopefully she will post the picture that her hubby took of all of us. I looked for HNewman (Heather) but there were lots of bumblebees, just none that I saw with blond hair. I never made it inside. About 5 minutes after arrival and pics, Sushi said "was that the gun that just went off?" Off we went....
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Don't know my official time, started my watch late and stopped it late. 33:09 when I stopped my watch. 35:19 gun time when we crossed the finish.

Ran with Kristen, Andrea, and Jaclyn. At one point, Kristen thanked me and Jaclyn for pacing and told us we were good pacers. That term has never been used in the same sentence when referring to me or Jaclyn before. Jaclyn got evil and decided she would push the pace up the hills until I couldn't take it anymore. I surprised her and never let up. I couldn't talk and was breathing like I was going to die but I didn't let up. We stayed together until the finish. We pushed and pushed hard. I've never done that before during a race. I usually back off because I like to be comfortable. I moved out of my comfort zone and put myself out there today. Today, I can actually say I tried to finish fast and strong. That is a very vulnerable feeling because if I didn't finish "fast", I can't ratiionalize it to myself. I went with the attitude that I would give 100%. Usually, I rationalize my slow times to myself. No excuses this year. I am giving everything I have.

Funny quote of the day: Jaclyn "Oh dear, my boob is full"
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was warm enough with my tights, and long pants over, my long socks, an underarmor shirt, a long shirt, a jacket, a headband, a cool pink borrowed neck band from TrishM (thanks Mother Hen), gloves. I didn't feel over or underdressed.

We talked, we laughed, we paced, and were paced. Awesome race!
Post race
Warm down:

Into the "warehouse" for water and a half of a banana. I still have trouble eating after an event. They had lots of superbowl junk, hot dogs, chips, muffins, and cookies too. My stomach couldn't handle any of it. Not that I would eat a hot dog anyway, ick.

Out to the car with Paul for a beer. Yum beer. That finisher's pint glass came in handy and was well broken in. I started to redress becaause I was cold only to notice that my hair had turned to ice. Brrr..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I pushed. Maybe less clothing and weight would've made a slight difference but I don't know that I could've pushed myself any faster with what I was wearing.

Event comments:

Great time, great friends. WOO HOO!!!

Last updated: 2010-01-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Don't know my official time, started my watch late and stopped it late. 33:09 when I stopped my watch. 35:19 gun time when we crossed the finish. Ran with Kristen, Andrea, and Jaclyn. At one point, Kristen thanked me and Jaclyn for pacing and told us we were good pacers. That term has never been used in the same sentence when referring to me or Jaclyn before. Jaclyn got evil and decided she would push the pace up the hills until I couldn't take it anymore. I surprised her and never let up. I couldn't talk and was breathing like I was going to die but I didn't let up. We stayed together until the finish. We pushed and pushed hard. I've never done that before during a race. I usually back off because I like to be comfortable. I moved out of my comfort zone and put myself out there today. Today, I can actually say I tried to finish fast and strong. That is a very vulnerable feeling because if I didn't finish "fast", I can't ratiionalize it to myself. I went with the attitude that I would give 100%. Usually, I rationalize my slow times to myself. No excuses this year. I am giving everything I have.
Course: Mostly flat is what the website said. 4 definite hills, at least more than I am used to in my flat area. Definitely raised my HR and pushed hard up those hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-02-07 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Subject: Super Bowl 5k

2010-02-07 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2659681

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: RE: Super Bowl 5k

That was super fun, Jo!!  You rocked the last mile, completely!  And I can't believe you put my boob quote in your RR!!  (blushing)....

2010-02-07 12:22 PM

Master

Awesome race and awesome race report!  And yes...THANK YOU for setting such a nice pace.  You ladies are wonderful.  See you on Sunday at Trainerfest!

2010-02-07 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2659789

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

sushigirl - 2010-02-07 1:12 PM

That was super fun, Jo!!  You rocked the last mile, completely!  And I can't believe you put my boob quote in your RR!!  (blushing)....

I probably shouldn't have put the gas part either.  Oh well, I guess I am not as politically correct as I should be.  My bad.

2010-02-07 3:39 PM

User image

Arcata, CA
Great Job!!!  
2010-02-07 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Yay!!!!  I'm so glad you had fun and rocked your race girl!  Lmao at the boob comment!  Been there done that on a 75 miler bike ride! :-)

Congrats on a great race Jo!!! (((hugs)))

2010-02-08 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Wow Jo-- you've inspired me to push harder. I'll try to find a nice 80 year old to make me run faster (they currently finish way ahead of me). Maybe running almost late gave you an extra adrenaline rush? You have a wonderful sense of humor too Congrats! You deserved the beer!
2010-02-09 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
great race! Considering the full boob comment- that will be me all racing season. I have threatened to nurse in transition. Congrats!!! Keep up the good work- I have a great feeling that this is going to be your running season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Super Bowl 5k Rss Feed