Kinane Events
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 33s
Overall Rank = 3988/11783
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 386/693
Pre-race routine:

I woke up about 30 minutes late. My alarm on my Blackberry did not go off. It appears I accidentally changed it from AM to PM. I still had plenty of time to get to the race and I knew it really did not matter because it was a timed race. I tried to park at Edison High School like I did last year but, because I was late the lot was full and I had to park on the street. Also, there was a huge line for the buses and I did not make it to the start line until 8AM.
Event warmup:

I realized that I forgot the quick connect strap to my Garmin in my car while waiting for the bus. I lightly jogged about 1/2 mile to and from my car.
Run
  • 2h 06m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

When I got the start line, I told them I was late and they let me just start running. It was nice because the road was empty until I caught the back of the last group that had started. The first 10 miles went well and I was not having any problems maintaining a good pace as reflected in my split times 3 Mi:27:27 Pace:9:09, 8.2 Mi:1:14:26 Pace:9:05. Then at mile 10 I started feeling a twinge in my left hamstring. I then had a total leg lock up at mile 11 and had to stretch it out. Then my right and left leg alternated cramping for the next two miles. I believed because of my missed training, I was ether going to have a sub 2 hour run or blow up. I blew up...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, even if I would have slowed my pace which may or may not have prevented me from cramping, my finish time would have likely been the same.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did not taper for this race and it was training for Ironman California 70.3. I would have also bought the proper running shoes (for me) earlier so I could have gotten more miles in them. I knew I was not ready for this race because I lost 2 weeks of training during my build phase due to being sick.

Event comments:

Even though I cramped at mile 11 and missed my goal of a sub 2 hour half marathon, I cut 0:13:34 off of last years time. I will be happy if I can replicate this time at Ironman California 70.3 in March.

Last updated: 2009-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:06:33 | 13.1 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/693
Overall: 0/11783
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-02-07 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
Subject: Surf City USA Half Marathon

2010-02-07 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2660195

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Half Marathon
Sounds like a pretty good race, even with the cramping issues.  I think Surf City is one of the best-run races around.
2010-02-07 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2660195

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Half Marathon

dang... hate to meet you straight up when yer not late...  you'd leave foot prints all over my face...  GJ..

Lori

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Half Marathon Rss Feed