Outloud! Productions
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 40s
Overall Rank = 410/623
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 22/53
Pre-race routine:

I woke up early on race day. I was out of bed around 4:00am. I got up and drank a cup of coffee while sitting at the computer and posted here on BT!!!! I drank 2 bottles of water then ate a bagel with raspberry jam. I had T bag packed and bike was cleaned and lubed the night before. I unpacked the bag to check the contents again. I was fully packed with bike on top of car by 5:00. I was only a little nervous, really more excited to get there and start.
Event warmup:

I got to tranistion early, about 5:40. After I set up my T area, I met Gomez, Bill, Phil, Brant and Micheal. It was very nice to meet these people. They were all nice and very friendly. Having "friends" to start the race with made it that much more nice. I ran about half mile in front of transition area alone and I swam for about 5 mins before start with Bill. No bike warm up.
Swim
  • 18m 57s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was great. nice and warm. This was my first open water race. I felt great in the water, swam all freestyle, breathing to the right side. I started in the back and right of the wave. after a few mins i found myself in the middle of the pack. I swam at a fairly strong, consistant pace. About every 20 or so strokes, I looked up to make sure I was swimming in the correct direction. About 200 yrds in, I was kicked in the nose which made me stop for a few seconds. I became very determinded after that to get in front of the person that kicked me, and I did. I swam on the left close to the markers for the rest of the race. After the first buoy, I was kicked in the left ribs, and made a nice bruise. I almost swam into the last buoy before making the last turn. The swim was over very quikly to me. The shore was a welcome sight as my wife and kids were to the right of the exit cheering me on.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing would be to start more in the middle and front of the pack. I am happy with my swim performance.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

T1 took a little longer than I wanted. I found my bike with out any trouble. My rack location was in front of a tree and a guy on the next rack had a floating Homer Simpson balloon (good landmarks). I pulled my shirt on with ease. The grass was freshly cut and I had clipping stuck to my feet. I tried to wash my feet with water. I ended up just putting my socks on with the grass clipping still on my feet. This did not bother me at all during the rest of the race. I drank half a bottle of Poweraid and half a bottle of water. I put a HammerGel and a Power bar onder my shorts leg to have on the ride. My wife and kids ran over to the fence and took pictures and cheered me on while I was in T1, it made it very special.

The only thing differant would be to go faster.
Bike
  • 37m 18s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

The road was clear of most debris. There was a slight tail wind on the way out. I was really going fast on the bike. This was my first race on the Quintana Roo Caliente-I love this bike!!! It is fast, smooth and easy to ride. I stayed in the areobar the whole time. My cadance was in the 80-95 range for most of the ride. There was a down and up under a set of railroad tracks and two overpasses. The rest of the ride was flat. I was able to maintain a spead of 25-27 mph with a top speed of 32 mph on the way out. I was at 23 mph at the top of both overpasses! After the turnaround at Mason rd, the headwind was there, not bad, but there. It slowed me down some, but not much. I was still spinning 21-23 mph and 20 mph on the top of the overpasses! I have riden this route several times and I am farmiliar with it. It was kinda nice to have a "home field advantage". I probably worked too hard on the bike, but it felt good. I ate the Hammergel at mile 11. I upshifted and began to spin easy (over 100 rpms) for the last 3/4 mile or so.

I would like to learn to have my shoes on the bike and do the mount/dismount thing. I am very happy with my bike performance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

T2 was quik. I was abble to rack my bike and change shoes fast. I kept the same shirt and socks on. I finished the half bottle of Poweraid and the half bottle of water. Wife and kids were at the fence again to cheer me on and take pictures.

The only thing differant would be to go faster.
Run
  • 29m 14s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good at the start of the run. My legs were fairly fresh. Wife and kids were at the 1 mile aid staion cheering and taking pictures. By the time I passed the 1 mile aid station (I didnt stop or get water), I felt like I was walking. at about 1 1/2 miles, I said outloud "come on now, what are you doing, this is a race, not a nieghborhood jog". That worked and I picked up the pace from there. I was passed by many and I passed a few. One man and I passed each other a few times back and forth, the last time I passed him he said "there goes my friend with the good pace". That comment made me feel great and I picked it up from there. At the next turn was the most talked about sign "aligators in park, DO NOT DISTURB". I got a good laugh. After we ran along the bayou, I could hear the cheers and the announcer, I was happy to see the finish line. I did not sprint to the finish, but did pick it up some. As I ran through the trees, I heard the announcer say "Here comes Joe Lechnar from Katy"!!! I sure did like hearing that. Wife and kids were at finish line waiting for me and cheering. They really made it special for me.

I would like to run faster and more consistant.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around for a while after the finish. I got some water and watermellon. I had some good stretches and then went to the finish line to watch for the other BT'ers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The only limiting factor was me.

Event comments:

This was my second triathlon. It was my first open water and the swim was almost 3 times as long (880 vs 300). I had a very good time doing this race, mostly due to my wife and kids being there and meeting the other BT'ers. You guy rock! I wish Phil would have stayed at the finish line. I liked waiting for you guys and watching you cross the finish. Michael, I hope you are recovering fast from your bike crash. Gomez, I hope the head has stopped ringing from the kick during the swim. Bill, Brant good race. It was a true pleasure meeting and raceing with you all. I hope we will train/race again soon!!

I also enjoyed talking to my friend Chad. I have known his family for a few years now and it is nice that we both do tri's. I was only 4 mins behind him this time.

I am very happy with this race! I feel I did a very good job and all the training payed off!!

Now on to Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon July 17th.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:57 | 880 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 33/53
Overall: 488/623
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Tri shorts
Course: Out and back 1/2 mile through subdivision lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:18 | 13 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/53
Overall: 179/623
Wind: Little
Course: The bike was an out and back ride on the Grand parkway. We rode on the inside lane which was coned off for us, there were police at all intersections to stop traffic and allow us to pass. The turn around was in the U-turn at Mason rd. Some had a hard time with this turn, there were a few crashes. I think most were from getting wheels stuck between the concrete slabs. The road was clear of most debris. There was a slight tail wind on the way out which made a little head wind on the return. There was a down and up under a set of railroad tracks and two overpasses. The rest of the ride was flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:14 | 03 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/53
Overall: 489/623
Course: The run corse was mostly nieborhood sidewalks going up and down curbs and driveways. Some of the run was in the park with a couple of small bridges. The finish line was between a row of old pecan trees. NICE.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-14 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Tejas Triathlon 2005

2005-06-14 11:34 AM
in reply to: #174614

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Tejas Triathlon
Sounds like a really good race!  Great ride!  Very cool that your family was there to cheer you on and share in the day
2005-06-14 12:04 PM

User image

Master
It was a great race, Thanks.
Here is my scary pre-race picture.
Do I look intimidating?
The picture was snapped right before I had a chance to smile or make any expression at all.
The second is of (not sure), Me (freeswimmingfish), Gomez (csgomez), Luis (velasqu7) & Micheal (Cmikul).
The third is of Bill (RGRBILL), Brant (OLDAG92), me (Freeswimmingfish) & Micheal (Cmikul).

Edited by Freeswimmingfish 2005-06-14 12:19 PM

(tri3.jpg)

(tri2.jpg)

(tri1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tri3.jpg (58KB - 21 downloads)
tri2.jpg (53KB - 21 downloads)
tri1.jpg (40KB - 18 downloads)
2005-06-14 2:40 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Great job, Joe.  Good luck at Jeff & Breades.

2005-06-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: #174678

User image

Elite
Texas
Great race Joe! See you at Jeff & Brede's. Will you hold my timing chip for me next time?
2005-06-14 4:50 PM
in reply to: #174810

User image

Master
RGRBILL - 2005-06-14 1:47 PM

Great race Joe! See you at Jeff & Brede's. Will you hold my timing chip for me next time?

I will not hold your timing chip, I know where it has been......

2005-06-14 5:03 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Fair enough. I'll just strap it to Phil's other ankle so I can get some hardware too...
2005-06-14 5:28 PM
in reply to: #174874

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
It was so great meeting all you guys and everyone was so nice and easy going.
I mean - Tiger Phil - guy took third in the age group and yacked with me for 10 minutes about training.
Me - Mr. Novice... Very cool attitude guys. I REALLY appreciated you all there at the end pulling for me to finish! Joe's right - Having people you know (or even just met) there definitely takes the edge off of your nerves.

2005-06-14 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
That was a great race....  I really enjoyed and I enjoyed meeting you guys..  Great times man... and I completly missed the alligator sign...  I am glad i did not see it... he he.. 

Great pictures too....

Cheers..
2005-06-15 3:29 PM

User image

Master
I added a few pics, but they are small, so I put them here too:

(tri6.jpg)

(tri10.jpg)

(tri9.jpg)