The Saint Paul Festival and Heritage Foundation
25F / -4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 47m 1s
Overall Rank = 263/788
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/51
Pre-race routine:

Race start was 9 am which was really nice. Set my alarm for a little before 7. Ate a bowl of frosted mini wheats and walked the dog. The sidewalks were extremely icy when I walked the dog so I was little worried about what the course was going to be like. Got to the Securian around 8:15, did race-day registration, used the porta potties before the lines got long and just wandered around.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 47m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt strong in the beginning. First two miles were sub 8 pace. My goal for the race was to average between 8 and 8:10 pace. Knew I was going a little fast, but felt very strong and decided to just go with it. Felt good for the first 4 miles. Mile 5 had a few rollers in it that drained a little energy from my legs but by the time I got to the turn around I was feeling good again. There were only two water stops along the course, one at mile 4 and one at mile 9. Brought two gu with me but didn't want a gu as early as mile 4 so just waited and had one right before the mile 9 water stop. I kind of wish there was one more water stop along the course but the weather for this race is almost always miserable so I'm sure its hard to find that many volunteers. The GU helped me through mile 9 and mile 10. The last few miles I was definitely cooked. Legs didn't feel like moving, I was getting cold because I was pretty much soaked with either sweat or rain (it rained for about 2 miles in the beginning) and the wind was coming at us. Managed to push it out the last 2 miles and not totally fall off. Pushed it up the really steep hill right before the finish and was glad to come in just a hair over 1:47.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for my two friends who also ran to finish and then we headed to Longfellow Grill for breakfast where we stuffed our faces, yum! Oatmeal pancakes, sausage links, over medium eggs :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bitter cold and icy paths/roads made the last few weeks of my training a little sketchy but managed to pull it together for a fairly good race.

Event comments:

This is the third time I've done this race and I get a little faster each time.
2006: 1:47:45 (8:14 pace)
2007: 1:47:15 (8:12 pace)
2010: 1:47:01 (8:10 pace)

My goal is to break 1:45 in the half marathon some day. But to do that I definitely need to pick a race that is not in the middle of January in St Paul minnesota :) I think I could do it in a fall half marathon where I train hard/consistently all summer.

Last updated: 2009-11-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:01 | 13.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 0/788
Performance:
Course: Out and back course along Shephard Rd. Not very scenic. Rolling the whole way.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-02-11 3:02 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Securian Frozen Half Marathon

2010-02-11 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2668482

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Securian Frozen Half Marathon
Nice pace for a challenging course!
2010-02-13 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2668482

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: Securian Frozen Half Marathon
Great job on a Freezing wet day! 
Not sure how you feel about carrying a small water bottle, but it helped me alot this year on both my mary and half mary.  Takes away the "where the heck is the water when you need it?" issue.
Way to go, Sarah!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Securian Frozen Half Marathon Rss Feed