General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Valentine's Day 10k and 5k Run and Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Valentine's Day 10k and 5k Run and Walk - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bartlett, Tennessee
United States
Bartlett Parks and Recreation
41F / 5C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 40s
Overall Rank = 31/267
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

I ate a bowl of oatmeal with a sliced banana and wheat germ at 7:30 - 2.5 hours before race start. I got ready to race, packed my gear and left home at 8:40 for a half hour drive to the race site. I registered, picked up my packet, got the blood flow moving in my legs by rolling them with the stick, and did some light stretching before starting my warm up run.
Event warmup:

I did a 1.5 mile run warm up followed by 6x100m strides. Finished warm up and strides about 10 minutes before race start. Walked to the start line and did some more light stretching while waiting for the start.
Run
  • 45m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The 10k was scheduled to start approx. 5 minutes after the 5k race began. We ended up starting a 10 o'clock race at about 10:15, waiting for walkers in the 5k to clear the 10k route. This wait led to a late start but not a big deal for me. I wasn't feeling 100% going into this race. I didn't pre-register for this event because I wasn't even sure last night that I would be running this morning. I had not run since Tuesday and took off the last 2 days for rest & recovery. I felt a little sluggish during warm up. We ran into a chilly headwind during the first couple of miles. I ran the first couple of miles at half marathon pace and was able to pick up the pace each mile. By mile 3, I thought I was on my race pace for the day...just had to survive the hillwork ahead. Overall, I was happy to pull off a negative split race, especially with the hills on the back half of the course. I focused on maintaining a quick cadence from start to finish and just hanging tough during the last mile. I believe that my training runs on the hills in Germantown were helpful going into this race. My finish time was right where I want to be at this point in preparation for the Germantown half marathon.
What would you do differently?:

Go into the race 100% healthy.
Post race
Warm down:

I ran an easy 2 mile cool down run (legs felt very heavy), drank 8 oz. of chocolate soy milk and did some light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Taking the past couple of days off, not feeling 100% well.

Event comments:

This was a great race in that it was an opportunity to practice racing when I'm not feeling 100%. Running a negative split each mile into the race was very nice, especially since I would consider it a hilly course. Great swag bag - including a sweat shirt with a cool looking race graphic on the front and sponsors on the back and a Fed Ex ballcap. Plenty of good food and beverages after the race.

Last updated: 2010-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:40 | 06.21 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 31/267
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 7:31/mi. AHR 158 bpm, Mile 2 - 7:29/mi. AHR 165 bpm, Mile 3 - 7:28/mi. AHR 167 bpm, Mile 4 - 7:17/mi. AHR - 172 bpm, Mile 5 - 7:14/mi. AHR 174 bpm, Mile 6 - 7:08/mi. AHR 174 bpm
Course: Overall this was a fairly hilly course with a climb near the end of mile 1 and predominantly uphill from miles 3-5. While much of the run had nice straight segments, the course weaved uphill through a subdivision on mile 3 & 4. Mile 5 featured one steep uphill ascent and a long stretch of road with a mild upgrade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-02-14 12:37 AM

User image

Germantown, TN
Subject: St. Valentine's Day 10k and 5k Run and Walk

2010-02-14 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2672035

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: St. Valentine's Day 10k and 5k Run and Walk
Nie job on the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Valentine's Day 10k and 5k Run and Walk Rss Feed