Running Fit Adventures
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m 17s
Overall Rank = 9/95
Age Group = O'All female
Age Group Rank = 1/40
Pre-race routine:

We had coffee and some hotel food while getting ready...AGAIN, in Fit2Tri trail race style, we got to the race, grabbed our packets, and as we were pinning our numbers and heading to the port-a-johns, the race announcer said "we'll be starting the race in about 10 seconds"!!!!! Didn't use the port a john..just headed for the start, waiting for Betsy to get there too. Think we were only about 30" behind the actual start??
Event warmup:

See above!!!
Run
  • 2h 02m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off running hard, trying to get past the pack...lost Betsy in the crowd, never to see her again :(

It was COLD and windy! Wind picked up 1/2 through making it feel colder. Aid stations were about every 3 miles...should have taken my own water...also should have taken 2 more GU than I did..will try to remember that for next year! Was feeling a little sluggish around mile 8 or 9..got to aid station at mile 10 and suddenly there were like 5 people there from behind me that I hadn't seen...one of them a woman I had been running with early on but passed :o Took my GU and took off!!! She hung around until we got to the thicket and cypress stump field...she was taking a gingerly approach, so I took the opportunity to get ahead and just tried to push it to the end...I had heard someone say "first female" at that aid station and I wanted to be sure that was still me at the finish line!!
What would you do differently?:

Bring water and take in more calories...and get to the race a few minutes earlier!
Post race
Event comments:

I enjoyed the race again this year...trail runs are a nice laid back event! COuld have used more aid stations...or bring your own stuff! Lots of people got LOST..I mean LOTS! They need to work on their marking system a little better I think. I'll go back. It was fun.

Price for overall winners was a Gator Head!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-02-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:17 | 13.1 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/40
Overall: 9/95
Performance: Average
Course: Not as challenging as I remember last year - had to re-route us due to LOTS of water...one short river crossing that was COLD..mostly fire roads and single track, sand, gravel, dirt and leaves. A few slower uphill climbs. Was looking for a little more excitement, but I am happy we didn't have to go through 6 foot deep water!!
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-02-14 12:14 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: Dances with Dirt - Green Swamp

2010-02-15 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2672340

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: RE: Dances with Dirt - Green Swamp
Great job!  You are a force to be reconed with! 
2010-02-15 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Good job,  I did the 50miler and we must have had a lot more water on the course since we were in it for at least 15 miles thoughout the course.  
2010-02-15 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2674461

User image

Master
South Florida
My coach did the 50k...which turned out to be a 60k   He said the course was more challenging than last year.  We only had one water feature - a small river crossing...maybe mid-calf deep, but SHOCKINGLY COLD!!!  Awesome on the 50 miler! Was it any longer than 50 miles?? I had planned on the 50k but a few weeks before realized I did not have my mental game on, so stuck to the 1/2.  Next year!!! 
2010-02-16 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2674527

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I added about a mile.  On one section between 22-26 saw a guy who was doing a relay and told him his trail was about a mile back.  Saw two other "relay members" about another mile up and off the track.  After the first couple of miles I figured why bother avoided the water which warranted a comment by a guy asking me where the bike was to consider doin a tri.  

between miles 22 and 33  some people missed a turn so you had 50 milers coming to the aid station from both directions. 

At mile 42 some were being told to go one the "relay" route since they were misdirected earlier that day.

I would be surprised if 15 of the current 26 finishers actually followed the same route.
2010-02-18 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Congrats! That's some cool hardware though I hope those gators had natural deaths. Sounds like a fun day out on the trails.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dances with Dirt - Green Swamp Rss Feed