General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thrill in the hills trail half/full? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-02-15 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL
Subject: Thrill in the hills trail half/full?

Just wondering if any tri peeps are doing this race. I'm signed up for the half. This will be my second trail race ever. Hoping it is "easier" than Twisted Ankle marathon was last spring.

At least it won't be hot, right?

race link

2010-02-15 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2674325

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Thrill in the hills trail half/full?
I'm in for the Half and hoping it goes better then RTR last weekend.  I did Thrill in the Hills last year and loved it.
2010-02-15 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Doing the full
2010-02-15 9:10 PM

Veteran

I haven't registered yet but probably in for the Full unless I come to my senses soon and try to beat my time from last years Half.  

No big whopper hill like Twisted Ankle just roots and dirt mostly.

Edited by rockrunner 2010-02-15 9:12 PM
2010-02-15 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
I've got the 1/2 on my radar, will most likely be a last minute decision, but I do love a good trail run.  I am already doing the Berry 1/2 mary on March 6, really just trying to get some speed back in my legs before the ING bc I am realllllllly lacking in the motivation dept. right now!
2010-02-16 3:30 AM

User image

Kennesaw
I'm in for the 1/2.

2010-02-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2674796

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Signed up today for the 1/2, hip has been feeling decent.  Hope to see some of you guys and girls out there!
2010-02-20 5:13 PM

Ran the course today.  All the snow is finally gone - still pretty muddy though.

Lots of volunteers out cleaning up the race route - should be a great race.
2010-02-25 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

I need to know what you people are wearing. I am in the skirt vs tights debate. I ran this am in a skirt when it was below freezing and I was pretty cold but had a good run.  I just need to know what all the cool kids are doing to help me make my decision.

Weather Forecast:

Sunny
Sunny
High
51°F

Low
28°F
Precip: 0%

details details Abundant sunshine. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the upper 20s.

2010-02-25 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2693433

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Wow you are much braver than I.  Anything below 50, and I will always be in my tights.  As for Saturday, I think tights, longsleeve under armour top, gloves, and a beanie will suffice.

NatNegativeSplit - 2010-02-25 1:19 PM

I need to know what you people are wearing. I am in the skirt vs tights debate. I ran this am in a skirt when it was below freezing and I was pretty cold but had a good run.  I just need to know what all the cool kids are doing to help me make my decision.

Weather Forecast:

Sunny
Sunny
High
51°F

Low
28°F

details details Abundant sunshine. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the upper 20s.

2010-02-25 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2693433

Weather Forecast:

Sunny
Sunny
High
51°F

Low
28°F

Trust me - I won't be wearing a skirt!!!!

Last year it was raining and cool.  I wore shorts, a tech t-shirt and a long sleeve tech top and I was fine.

But then again - I'm from north of here and I like to run in the snow.

2010-02-26 6:01 AM
in reply to: #2694184

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

daspanglers - 2010-02-25 7:54 PM

Weather Forecast:

Sunny
Sunny
High
51°F

Low
28°F

Last year it was raining and cool.  I wore shorts, a tech t-shirt and a long sleeve tech top and I was fine.

But just incase you want to wear a skirt there is a manly option with tons of pockets for gu and gear--perfect for trail running!:

utilikilt

I do like the cold but I like to dress so I what I am wearing is a nonissue. If I am uncomfortable I will hyper-focus on it and it ruin my run. So I do tend to over think my outfit choice.

2010-02-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2694668

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Call me crazy, but I am thinking about transferring up to the full distance.  I was originally planning to do the 1/2 in the morning, then run a real easy 8-10 later on the in the day to get the mileage.  I'm not sure if I'm going to feel like getting out twice to run tomorrow, so I'm thinking I might just do the full distance tomorrow at a painfully slow pace.  I'm hoping the trails wont be so difficult that it destroys my run, at least hopefully not any harder than Kennesaw mountain trails.  Anybody want to weigh in on the difficulty of the course?
2010-02-26 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2695873

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

No idea. I think the trails at Kennesaw are pretty tame unless you are going up and over--which I never do.

I am going to call you crazy and offer a cautionary tale. . .

I too thought about running the full and talked myself out of it since I want to have strong race at Ga ING.

I have done one trail marathon --Twisted Ankle-- and while I had no problem running the weeks afterwards my overall fatigue lingered. Typically after a road marathon I cut back a little and resume training within a week or 2--in fact I ran my 3 fastest marathons 7 weeks apart last year. But the trail marathon (the 4th in the string of 'thons and my slowest ever by a lot) left me super tired and I just couldn't train the way I am use to. I even had to walk in a 10k the weeks following that trail marathon. It was just embarassing.

So the point of my tale is that I see you have ING on your list and wanted to say that if that is an A race for you I would recommend NOT doing the full tomorrow. Just my 2 cents (and I know I don't know you or what sort of runner you are). I would recommend though going out and giving 100% in the half tomorrow. IMO running a half trail marathon hard will be near the equivalent effort of running an 18-20 mile long run on the road.  You still have time to get in another long run or 2 before ING.

Either way, good luck and I hope you have an awesome race!

Edited by NatNegativeSplit 2010-02-26 3:23 PM
2010-02-26 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2695980

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Hmmmm you bring up some good points Nat.  I have been tossing around this idea based on the fact that I recover pretty quickly from 1/2 mary's (typically a day or 2).  And ING is definitely not an A race, NYC is, soooooo this one tomorrow and ING are really just fun runs to get out and do something.  But now that you have called me crazy I will have to dwell on it just a little more befor I make a final decision.  See ya out there tomorrow! =)
2010-02-26 8:31 PM

User image

Duluth, GA
I'm doing the Full. I'll be starting dead last and see how I end up. Last year it was WET and muddy with some very cold puddles. It's not a very technical run, you just have to remember to pick up your feet. I think I remember a grassy section (gas lines) that is a long steep hill.
I'm not going to be in any big hurry to finish, just going to enjoy the day.

I recover much quicker from a trail run then on a long road run. I just think the trails are kinder to the body (but I'm old)

2010-02-26 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2696414

User image

Veteran
Boulder
That's what I'm talkin about!! See you out there
bgood - 2010-02-26 8:31 PMI'm doing the Full. I'll be starting dead last and see how I end up. Last year it was WET and muddy with some very cold puddles. It's not a very technical run, you just have to remember to pick up your feet. I think I remember a grassy section (gas lines) that is a long steep hill. I'm not going to be in any big hurry to finish, just going to enjoy the day.I recover much quicker from a trail run then on a long road run. I just think the trails are kinder to the body (but I'm old)
2010-02-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2694668

Ummmm....no.  I'll stick with some shorts.  Thanks for sharing though. 

Maybe I'll see the rest of you out there.  Have fun w/ the race.  I'm sleeping in - only 3 miles from my house!

NatNegativeSplit - 2010-02-26 6:01 AM

daspanglers - 2010-02-25 7:54 PM

Weather Forecast:

Sunny
Sunny
High
51°F

Low
28°F

But just incase you want to wear a skirt there is a manly option with tons of pockets for gu and gear--perfect for trail running!:

utilikilt

I do like the cold but I like to dress so I what I am wearing is a nonissue. If I am uncomfortable I will hyper-focus on it and it ruin my run. So I do tend to over think my outfit choice.

2010-02-26 9:36 PM

Veteran

They have changed the start, its in a different place now, no more wide open  powerline hill to thin the crowd out a little.

This may bunch everyone up more when you hit the single track near the start so if your in for a speedy run you may want to get near the front and go out faster for the first little ways since there maybe some congestion. 

I'm in for the full...have a good race everyone!

2010-02-28 2:46 PM

User image

Kennesaw
I had a good time. The event seem well organized and I enjoyed the trail, but I am slow (very slow) and fairly new to trail racing, so I was wondering what the veterans of these types of races thought. Was it a thrill for all?
2010-02-28 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2698249

Veteran

trimojo - 2010-02-28 3:46 PM I had a good time. The event seem well organized and I enjoyed the trail, but I am slow (very slow) and fairly new to trail racing, so I was wondering what the veterans of these types of races thought. Was it a thrill for all?

I thought they did a better job this year putting on the race than last year and the new start area seemed better too.  I did the Full so it was like 2 different races as the the first lap had vastly more runners and the second lap I only saw 4 or 5 other runners the whole time. I think all races are kinda thrilling and I had a good time at this one too. 

Trail running is much slower than pavement running in general and it shows in the trail race times for sure. You have to adjust your expectations for that so if your trying to compare you really can't as every trail course is different.

2010-02-28 5:10 PM

User image

Duluth, GA
I don't think the course was much different then last year (other then two loops). It was getting very slippery as the day got warmer (on the second loop). It was good they gave out finisher metals to everyone who did finish, not just the first 300 as they did last year (if you're into metals). Times are also slower because you have to wait out the single track traffic jams. It sure was lonely out on the second loop. I passed about 5 or 6 runners and 3 passed me with in the last 3 miles. It was a great day to be running in the woods. Next month, Oak Mountain 50K.
2010-02-28 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
The course seemed very different to me this year.  I guess it was really just the beginning and ending, but without the mud it looked very different to me.

Great race, very well organized, a great place to run.  This will be a regular race for me each year.

I'm curious, if I were to go out there to run would I get lost?  Are there maps, or can you follow the blaze marks and not get lost.  There was a lot of yellow taping yesterday that kept us on course, but I'm sure that was just for the race.
2010-02-28 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Shouldn't get lost since the route was color coded. Would stop by the ranger station for a map. 1st lap was certainly "congested". I like trail runs since they tend to be smaller crowds. When I do it next year will definately start at the back with the 2 different distances you have people rushing past at miles 11-13.
2010-02-28 11:59 PM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

This was my 2nd trail race and I really had a great time.I thought the course was great and the congestion a little intense. Being in a pack like that for most of the race definitely made me push myself. I pretty much jockeyed for position against these 2 other girls for the whole race.So often in races I run alone--a pack in front and a pack in back and I am in a cushion--I'm never really challenged. Yesterday  though I had probably the first opportunity where I really raced against other runners. In the end I totally got out kicked by "my competitor" and I loved it. It forced me to run harder than I know I normally would have at the end of a race.  So often it is just me pushing myself to get under some random time.

I would totally do the full at this race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thrill in the hills trail half/full? Rss Feed  

of 2