Redemption Race Productions
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 6s
Overall Rank = 14/81
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Event warmup:

About a mile of easy running with some strides thrown in.
Run
  • 21m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried to run my own race, judging pace only by feel, not worrying about the many out in front of me. This ended up being a good strategy as a lot of people took the run out too fast and paid for it later. I liked the two loop course since I always knew where I was on the course.
What would you do differently?:

I was happy with this run, though might consider taking it out a bit faster next time.
Transition 1
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Not much to T1 in a duathlon. I didn't do the flying bike mount that I normally do since I haven't practiced it in the 8 months since my last triathlon. I lost a bit of time since I had some trouble taking off my socks.

Practice transition!
Bike
  • 1h 02m 55s
  • 21 miles
  • 20.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Got passed early in the bike by a guy in my AG who was flying so I didn't bother trying to keep up. I figured I must have been in 2nd or 3rd in my AG at that time. I was pacing with a few people who, when we reached the first chipseal stretch, were able to maintain pace whereas I slowed down nand I let them go. This ended up being smart as I caught back up to both on of them by T2. My second loop was slightly faster than my first so I was pleased with my pacing. Overall a good ride given that my bike training has been sub par this month.

Took 2 GUs during the ride which seemed to work well in setting up the next run with some energy.

Need to ride more. They guy who beat me in my AG was slower on both runs, but beat me by about 6 min on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Didn't do the running dismount as I haven't practiced it in months. Running in the bike shoes was odd since I normally don't do this. I lost a few seconds putting on my Saucony Fastwich shoes since the tongue of the shoe doesn't stay up well and requires a bit of extra attention when slipping into them.

Practice!
Run
  • 21m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I usually fade bigtime on the second run of a Du so I was prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. Fortunately my legs felt fairly strong and I was able to keep a steady pace. Surprisingly, I had plenty left for a good sprint at the end (which almost never happens), and even-split the two 5k runs. I'm happy with the 2nd run, but even splitting the runs might mean I didn't work hard enough on the first run and/or bike.

I ran without socks for the first time in my Fastwich shoes. I should have done this in practice to make sure there'd be no issues, but they ended up being perfectly comfortable with no hot spots or blisters.
Post race
Event comments:

Well organized. The awards were started in a fairly timely manner compared to some other races. The only downside is that about 2/3 of the bike course is on some very rough chipseal roads, making for a bumpy ride. Mileage markers on the bike and run would be nice.

Last updated: 2010-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:49 | 03.11 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 21/81
Performance: Good
Course: Two 1.5 mile loops alongside Calaveras Lake. Fairly flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:37
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:02:55 | 21 miles | 20.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 16/81
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Two 10.5 mile loops. About 2/3 of each loop is on rough chipseal roads, the rest fairly good.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:50 | 03.11 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 7/81
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-02-21 4:55 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: Calaveras Duathlon

2010-02-22 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2684822

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Subject: RE: Calaveras Duathlon
Sounds like a fun race.

Were you able to stay in aero position on the chipseal?
2010-02-24 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2687237

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: RE: Calaveras Duathlon
I stayed in aero on the rough parts.  I had to be careful since the right aerobar vibrated slightly loose!

Brian
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Calaveras Duathlon Rss Feed