Charles Harris Run
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 39s
Overall Rank = 9/587
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/87
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got dressed, drank coffee and ate 1/4 bagel.
Event warmup:

They had us park at North Dekalb Mall for buses to transport us to the start. The line for the buses was so long. Had to wait for 15 minutes in the cold before getting onto the bus. I was worried that I would miss the race start. I had to pee so bad. So, once we got to the start at the church, I stood in the long line for the bathroom. Kept looking at my watch as the minutes counted down to the race start. It was supposed to start at 7:45 and when I finally walked out the bathroom, it was 7:45. So I ran 200 yards to the race start where luckily, everyone was still lined up. I hopped in front of the line and about 30 seconds later, the gun went off. Whew! Almost missed the start.
Run
  • 41m 39s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I've had a goal of running a sub 42 minute 10k for years. I was hoping I could do it here. I ran the resolution run on Jan. 1st and ran a 42:38. And on that day, I couldn't have run any harder. My hip was also bothering me these past 2 days, so, I wasn't sure how things would go.
Well, I started off fast as usual and hit the first mile at 6:16. Probably too fast, but I knew that I had to start off strong because I also fade hear the middle (and I remember there was a long gradual hill at mile 3). So, I kept track of my average pace and tried to stay around 6:40. My pace started to slow when I hit the hill at mile 3, so I was nervous about that 42 minute mark. But I dug deep and thankfully a downhill came at mile 5 where I could really kick it up a notch. I was averaging around a 6:15 for the last 3/4 mile and just tried to hang on. We turned the corner where it went uphill for about a 1/2 to the finish. There were 2 girls that I was able to pass during that last stretch. I looked at my watch and realized that I was going to do it. I was going to hit my goal. Finally! I crossed the line and smiled big because I gave it my all and had a good race. I'm now officially able to secure a sub-seeded spot at the P'tree Road Race, which is what I've been wanting to do for years.
Post race

Last updated: 2010-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:39 | 06.2 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/87
Overall: 9/587
Performance: Good
6:16, 6:46, 6:46, 6:52, 6:46, 6:29, 6:49
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %