General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base - Reverse Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Alamitos Race on the Base - Reverse Tri - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Alamitos, California
United States
City of Los Alamitos and Renegade Racing
57F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 11m 9s
Overall Rank = 195/761
Age Group = 18-24 Female
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

I'm surprised I got so much sleep despite my nerves. I was really riled up the night before but I still managed to get at least 7 hours. Good thing I'm an awesome sleeper! Woke up around 7 before the alarm went off. Ate my normal weekend workout breakfast of cheerios with raisins and soy milk. Drank water. It was nice to not be rushed at all because the of later morning start. Couldn't believe how insane the weather looked just from the window- heavy rain and palm trees swaying. This was my first race so i don't really have any "routines" yet. I just hung out, got dressed, paced around,then ate a luna bar before the boyfriend and I headed out.
Event warmup:

The only experience I had of transition areas before today had been on the other side of the fence at Doug's Ironman. It was weird to be on the athlete's side and pick out a spot for my bike, get all my gear out and set up, etc. I think i thought about it a little too hard because I realized later it's just grab and go, and the few inches I kept moving my bike shoes really didn't matter. The firt time I went pee was in a port a potty. The second time I needed to go, there was a huge line. I remembered reading sealiongirl's race report from last year about the secret bathroom at the pool- no line! Met up with the other BTers which was awesome, had a gel, saw my parents, listened to the mandatory meeting, then ran around to get warmed up. Went pee again. :) I was really nervous but since I got there early I was pretty antsy and ready to go! Lined up towards the front right of the pack, from my experience in the 5k and 10k I would rather be passed in the beginning than fight my way through a sea of people. Talked to two guys- it was their first tri as well.
Swim
  • 05m 3s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Honestly the swim is somewhat of a blur to me, I just remember knowing I was so close to finishing but sad it was ending, kept feeling heavy and out of breath, and kind of baffled since there were so many people in the pool with me. It was annoying and awesome at the same time. I actually had to ask Doug if I swam okay because I didn't even remember how I swam, if I even kicked or not.
What would you do differently?:

Be more confident with my breathing. Whenever I worry about my breathing it gets worse. However, compared to my training this was a really good swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I kind of had to gather myself back together coming into transition after the run, stopped to guzzle some water and moved slower than I had planned but then again I've never ran sub 7s so it's understandable. Pedal was in the perfect spot for mounting and clipping, and I had it in the perfect gear for starting.

move faster. haha.
Bike
  • 40m 51s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.63 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was my favorite. No hills, no cars, no stop lights, no pot holes, no bumps, just smooth wet roads full of happy triathletes. Being on my second lap as I saw people just starting their first was a major confidence boost. I was working so fucking hard but I think I was smiling every minute on the bike. It was really cool to see Doug and my parents on each loop. I felt awesome. Head wind was nasty but I was flying with the tail wind. Each time I was going into the head wind again I reminded myself every one else was getting that wind at them too and that it only gave us an even stronger tail wind when we turned.

I'm extremely happy with my time and the way I felt, so nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

dismounted and ran through the nasty puddle to rack my bike, take shoes and helmet off, grab goggles and go. my knee was killing me right around this time but I knew it would be okay in the pool- it just sucked jogging over to the pool. My goggles were already wet from all the rain, I ran with them around my neck and slipped them on right before getting in.

remember to take my race belt off before getting into the pool!!
Run
  • 21m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This seemed like such a long 5k. I kept reminding myself to not get comfortable with my pace. To keep pushing but to keep in mind I still had to do a bike and swim afterwards. Reminded myself that I love running in the rain and always produce my fastest times with wet weather. Started running next to someone that was being really negative saying things like "oh man there's people already out on the bikes, I thought I would do better than this." I tried to say something positive for every negative comment he made but it got old pretty quick, so thanks to him I picked up the pace to get further from him. Thank you negative guy!!
Pretty soon I was coming into transition.

Nothing. I went all out but left some in the tank for the next two events. Extremely happy with my time; this is a new personal best 5k in conjunction with my first triathlon. :)
Post race
Warm down:

felt extremely happy, got loves from my parents and Doug, ate a banana, changed into warm ups, left to go out to lunch. The support from Doug and my parents made my happiness grow exponentially! When I first went back to transition I just sort of stood there, letting it sink in that I really just completed the thing I had trained 5 months for. I had just completed a fucking triathlon! It's still sinking in 10 hours later as I write this.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing. The rain made me fast since I never got too hot. This was my first race and I'm really happy with my performance. I can't wait to set new goals. I'm hoping this wasn't a fluke or beginner's luck.

Event comments:

This race was so much fun and a really good race for a first timer like me. I had the time of my life. I had this whole zen thing going on in my mind. I was in the zone alright. I worked my ass off but it also felt like a giant party. I know we were all competing but with the rain drops that hurt and the nasty head winds, I had this overwhelming feeling that we were all in it together and I couldn't help but smile. Even though the swim was a bitch I was sad the race was already ending. I'm so glad I did a triathlon and I can't wait to do another one.

Last updated: 2009-11-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:03 | 200 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/761
Performance: Average
Suit: tri top and shorts
Course: serpentine pool swim. Since it was a reverse, this part was last.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:51 | 12 miles | 17.63 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:09 | 03.1 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-02-27 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
So Cal
Subject: Los Alamitos Race on the Base - Reverse Tri

2010-02-28 1:07 AM
in reply to: #2697578

User image

Orange, CA
Subject: RE: Los Alamitos Race on the Base - Reverse Tri
Unbelievable results for your first Tri. Very impressive. I had the same feeling (hooked) after my first Tri last September. This is a new lifestyle for me. Great job!
2010-02-28 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2697578

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Subject: RE: Los Alamitos Race on the Base - Reverse Tri
Great race report, Lauren...and an awesome job! I love the part about negative guy. Hah.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base - Reverse Tri Rss Feed