Tulsa Running Club
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 20m 50s
Overall Rank = 8/16
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

The pre-race breakfast at the lodge was very nice and early enough to have plenty of time to eat before the race.
Run
  • 8h 20m 50s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 16m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the first year for this race. Some people became lost on the course. I only really was lost one and ran an extra mile and then also back tracked another mile or so when some veteran trail runners said I was going the wrong way (I wasn't and eventually went with my instincts and made it back fine). I didn't really know what to expect, but it was a lot hillier, rockier and muddier than I would've thought possible. This is probably obvious to trail runners, but my 4:12 marathon meant nothing on the course. I ran up and down many of the hills, during the first half, but fewer on the second half because I didn't have the muscle strength/control to avoid some of the trip hazards when moving faster.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't specifically train for this race and had never done a real trail run, so it would be good to train further and on more varied terrain for next time. My road running and triathlon fitness was sufficient though to carry me through. The last few weeks I've been reading some about ultras and have been wanting to do a 50k badly, but also need to start training for IMWI. I was happy to have the best of both worlds.
Post race
Event comments:

A lot of runners were complaining about the course markings, but I had never even done this before and only ran one small extra loop. I hope the complainers don't cause TRC to not hold the race again. I thought it was a great first experience and I come away wanting to do another trail run in the future.

Last updated: 2010-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
08:20:50 | 31.07 miles | 16m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 8/16
Performance: Average
My Garmin went beserk at 24 miles and started adding miles every few feet for a minute or two, so I didn't have reliable distance data after that.
Course: It was a very interesting and challenging course. I fell at least 12 times and stopped counting. This was my first 50k and first real trail run so I'm sure some of it is inexperience, but some of it was the incredible amount of mud and rocks that made it slippery and easy to trip. There was a definite mental element. Some of the times I fell, I know it was because I had lost my concentration for just that moment and WHAM down I went. Water stops were every 2-3 miles so I did have to wear a fuel belt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes