General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early Spring Race Gear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-02 12:25 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Early Spring Race Gear
Doing my first sprint distance tri this April. Average temps are a low of 39 and a high of 55. The swim is in a pool so no worries there. I plan on wearing tri shorts and a compression top for the swim. Any suggestions for T1? I can see it being a bit chilly on the ride.

2010-03-02 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2702425

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Early Spring Race Gear

Different people have different opinions.  My first 2 races were sub 40 degrees (April in Oregon).

Tip for hands, get those disposable hand warmers and rubber band them tightly to your handlebar/aerobar.  No gloves needed and they do the trick.  Or if you insist, really loose mittens, bike gloves are too snug to pull on quickly with wet hands.

- Skull cap for under the helmet.
- Shorts will be fine, yet a tad chilly but your adrenaline will keep your legs from freezing.
- Top, may consider rolling on arm warmers instead of pulling on a jersey, sleeves or jacket at that is challenging when you are wet.  I tried that, twice and wouldn't do that again.
- If you have toe covers for your bike shoes, just leave them on if you can get your foot in fairly easily with them on.

Yes those are time killers according to some people (like and extra 20-50 seconds) but over half the field will be putting on a ton of gear as well so don't get too wrapped up in having a sub minute transition.

2010-03-02 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2702524

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: Early Spring Race Gear

Having fun tri-ing - 2010-03-02 1:52 PM

Different people have different opinions.  My first 2 races were sub 40 degrees (April in Oregon).

Tip for hands, get those disposable hand warmers and rubber band them tightly to your handlebar/aerobar.  No gloves needed and they do the trick.  Or if you insist, really loose mittens, bike gloves are too snug to pull on quickly with wet hands.

- Skull cap for under the helmet.
- Shorts will be fine, yet a tad chilly but your adrenaline will keep your legs from freezing.
- Top, may consider rolling on arm warmers instead of pulling on a jersey, sleeves or jacket at that is challenging when you are wet.  I tried that, twice and wouldn't do that again.
- If you have toe covers for your bike shoes, just leave them on if you can get your foot in fairly easily with them on.

Yes those are time killers according to some people (like and extra 20-50 seconds) but over half the field will be putting on a ton of gear as well so don't get too wrapped up in having a sub minute transition.

First off welcome to BT and congrats on havign a race this early in the season. 

I also agree using arm warmers.  One of my first races years ago was in mid march (high of 45-50 with a morning low of around 35.  Outside heated pool swim.  I'd suggest that you make sure you dry off very well enough that you won't get too cold.

I'm not 100% sure about the handwarmers but I'd suggest some old gardening gloves you can get at Lowes or Home Depot.  Good warmth and are fairly cheap.  Head I wouldn't worry about since you'll warm up fairly quickly. 

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early Spring Race Gear Rss Feed