Cass County YMCA
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m
Overall Rank = 100/136
Age Group = W20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Ate oatmeal 2.5 hours before race time- this was good timing. Set up transition area and talked to other participants about the course, whether to wear wetsuit, etc.
Event warmup:

rode bike a few minutes, with high cadence. jogged a little bit and felt good. Once I had my wetsuit on I swam a little in it to get used to it, then I stretched out and waited for the start!
Swim
  • 10m 54s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got off course twice- I didn't look up very much. oops. I also felt very out of breath but i think most of that was nervousness.
What would you do differently?:

sight more often! It's not fun to have to swim extra because you go out of your way.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Average HR was 161. Wetsuit came off surprisingly easily. When I set out to bike I wondered if I had everything since it seemed like i didn't do that much while i was in T1. But I had everything! I did walk from swim to T1 to get my HR down.

I think I would like to try starting the bike with the shoes on the bike. it is really hard to run in the cleats and i don't want to damage them further.
Bike
  • 49m 16s
  • 14.4 miles
  • 17.54 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was very pretty and mostly enjoyable. I think I did well for my second triathlon. My pace was faster than my 1st race. That's all I can ask for is to improve little bits each time.

drink more, and take another gel. I needed more energy for the run. Also I want to try to ride on the biggest gear more, there definitely were times I could have done it but didn't.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I need to practice leaving the shoes on the bike. Again, running in the cleats is not a good idea and I am getting comfortable enough with my bike that I think I should be able to do that, provided I start practicing it. Avg HR was 166.

Nothing really, except the shoe thing.
Run
  • 32m 17s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

THEY RAN OUT OF WATER ON THE RUN COURSE!!!! I was extremely ticked about this, as it was hot and humid that day. If I could change anything, it would be that.

I don't know...maybe bring my own little water bottle and take another gel. I felt spent when 1.5 miles left. Not a happy feeling. I just wanted the run to end!
Post race
Warm down:

walking, drank a whole bottle of Propel, stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think mostly the hydration and sugar factor. I might want to eat a bigger breakfast too, I will need to experiment. I also need to do sprint training on the run.

Event comments:

You just can NOT run out of water on the run....it just ain't right.

Last updated: 2005-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:54 | 500 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/136
Performance: Average
Average HR was 150
Suit: tri shorts, tri tank, wetsuit
Course: rectangle. two big orange buoys to sight from, water was clear and smooth except at the beginning we had to stand on slimy seaweed waiting for the start- yuck.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:16 | 14.4 miles | 17.54 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Average HR was 172.
Wind: Little
Course: Some hills, lots of good straightaways though, I got up to 31 mph on one downhill. I passed some guys that started 5 or ten minutes ahead in the earlier wave!!!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:17 | 03.2 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Avg HR was 174.
Course: hilly, shady trail run. A beautiful course but I kind of pooped out halfway through. I think the girl that got 3rd place in my age division passed me with a mile to go. I had passed her earlier, so I should have been able to hold my pace, but couldn't! The brick wasn't too bad...small quick steps. It was fun being on the trail with a few other people, we all encouraged each other.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes