Supersprint
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 6s
Overall Rank = 600/1374
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This event last year was the first triathlon I did so I was keen to see where a year of training went....! Didn't help though that I have had IT Band and Patella Femoral issues for the last 4 weeks which meant I hadn't even run 4 km until Thursday (longest run over the 4 weeks was 3km!!!) So was very worried about the knee holding up. As it ended up, it wasn't my knee that refused to work properly.......

This event is a 3 person team realy event where everyone does a 400m/10k/4k mini tri. It's a great event and gets people like me into triathlon!

We had a lovely panic this week as one member dropped out due to having to go to Hobart, so on Friday afternoon we finally found a replacement!

So, up at 5:00, slice of raisin toast, banana and some orange juice, then loaded everything into the car and headed into Perth to meet up with the rest of the team at 6:00

Met up, checked the bikes in and chilled until the start. Our wave was the last of the main waves to start so a 24 minute wait watching everybody else gave me time to chill and relax.

Event warmup:

Warmup consisted of a short run, followed by carefully getting into the Swan river - the worst part of the whole course as the river is shallow, silty and very dark and murky! Glad that sort of thing doesn't faze me.

At least with our wave being last, compared to all the others it was a tiny wave, so we all got some space at the start line.

Official timings put T1 & T2 times in with swim and bike times so the times I have here are based on my Garmin.

Swim
  • 07m 50s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was very dirty this year, couldn't see a thing, not even the feet of the person in front!
So off we went, got a nice start on the inside and just swam on my own other than when we caught up with the wave in front. Heard it mentioned that the course felt long, but I'm not sure if it was or not. Felt very comfortable and probably could have pushed it harder, as with nobody close to me I swam at my pace.

Still, 30 seconds better than last year is a win for me.
What would you do differently?:

Try and go out harder and get in with the better swimmers and draft. Also swimming on my own meant I had to do my own sighting which slowed me down I think.

Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

It's a long run from the steps getting out of the river over the road and into transition - 2300 people were there apparently doing both events! Lots of bikes to navigate through.
Couldn't decide beforehand whether to go socks or no-socks as I endedup with blisters last year and with having new runners didn't want to take the risk, so went no-socks for the bike.

Maybe invest in tri-shoes for the bike so I wouldn't have to waddle about in my bike shoes.
Bike
  • 21m 4s
  • 10 kms
  • 28.48 km/hr
Comments:

Well, here's the problem!! Got on the bike and as soon as I set off I could hear creaking and unhealthy noises coming from either the bottom bracket or the rear brakes. Didn't sound good at all. Had a quick peak and it looked like the rear brake was rubbing against the rim :( Well, with only 10k to ride, there wasn't much point in stopping to try and release it, so I just cracked on the best I could. Going out had the tailwind so should have been flying, ended up hitting 33km/h and into the headwind on the way back only 26km/h
I did manage to ride it all in aero which I was well-pleased about, apart from the times I sat up to look for the creaking noise.
A couple of scary moments passing people who were doing their first tri and didn't know to stay left (not right, we're in Australia here!!).
Span the last 200m to loosen the legs up in preparation for the run on a dodgy knee.
Think I lost between 1 & 2 minutes based on a team-mates time. Still, beat last year's time by 30 seconds.

Ended up the rear brake had been nudged either in the car on the way in or by someone else in transition - if it was me in the car, I should probably go for a short ride before checking the bike in to make sure it's running good.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Into the big transition area again, shoes off, socks on, shoes on, and set off.

Get used to running sockless.
Run
  • 20m 27s
  • 4 kms
  • 05m 07s  min/km
Comments:

So I wasn't sure if my knee would hold up, but in the end it was fine.
Passed quite a few people (compared to last year when I passed nobody!) which felt good, but was still passed by fast runners.
The course was a funny M type course which I hadn't worked out beforehand so wasn't sure what was happeneing. At one point I thought I was nearly done and pushed it before I realised I still had 1.5km to go! Doh!!
Heading back on the last straight with a tailwind I pushed harder than I've run for a long long time, and handed over to the 2nd person in the team with my day being done.
20:37 after the lack of running I've done this last 4 weeks was still a 2:45 improvement on last year. I was so so happy to see a time like this! It really did make everything seem worthwhile. Must mean the cycling is making me generally stronger.
Sub 20 in this race next year is my goal.

Not get knee problems 4 weeks before a race!
Post race
Warm down:

A few drinks of Gatorade and 2 hours watching the rest of the race. Did a few stretches to loosen up my legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not get a knee issue 4 weeks before the race.
Not get sent interstate to work 3 weeks before the race which limited training.

Event comments:

Knee felt a little sore, and still does but got a physio appointment on Thursday so will do another short run tomorrow before I see him, then I can hopefully start to build the distance up as this is the part I'm most worried about heading into Busselton HIM.
Onwards!

Last updated: 2009-12-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:50 | 400 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1374
Performance: Good
Official time, including a bit of T1 was 8:40
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:21:04 | 10 kms | 28.48 km/hr
Performance: Below average
Offical time, which included most of T1 and all of T2 was 25:49
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:27 | 04 kms | 05m 07s  min/km
Performance: Good
Official time was the same
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-03-07 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: BRW Corporate Triathlon (Perth)

2010-03-07 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2713151

User image

Veteran
Perth
Subject: RE: BRW Corporate Triathlon (Perth)
Well done mate! Good to see you beat your personal time. Awesome
2010-03-12 2:48 AM
in reply to: #2713151

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: BRW Corporate Triathlon (Perth)
Nice one Nigel, how great to beat last year's time, even with your knee problems and brake sticking.  Swimming in the Swan must have been horrible, would have really fazed me.  Onward and upward to Busso!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BRW Corporate Triathlon (Perth) Rss Feed