Pepperdine Challenge for Charity
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 17m 51s
Overall Rank = 2/122
Age Group = M19-35
Age Group Rank = 2/37
Pre-race routine:

Early start to the morning since it takes about an hour to get to Malibu. from 6:30am - 8 I slowly ate most of a powerbar (cinnimon apple because it was more breakfasty than chocolate). Got the the race site and checked in about an hour and a half before my start time. Walk/sat around for a while. Visited the portapotties twice.
Event warmup:

Did a short jog and and threw in some strides to start thinking fast. Honestly wasn't really feeling full force.
Run
  • 17m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The event was a small charity 5k/10k and most people were doing the 10k. Only one other competitor was out to run the 5k the way I was. We set out even for the first mile but then he started taking off on me. I picked up with him for a while but reading his style I knew he wasn't just surging to keep me behind him, so I let him go and was alone to run my own race. I would have like to have had someone around to pace/push me, but the leader kept picking it up and the next person behind me was at least a minute back. Mile 1 was the only mile marker, so after that I didn't really know where I was at and when to try to kick a bit more. I don't really have a 5k strategy anyway, so I felt like I picked it up a bit when I thought I was around mile 2 or a little later and then held it pretty steady through the end. As soon as I finished running I was fine, as if it hadn't even happened.
What would you do differently?:

Better pre race nutrition and push harder for negative splits.
Post race
Warm down:

The race forced you to scavage for food. They had it but not on display. You had to go around to different booths and ask for it. weird. Even the water was hard to tell if it was for the runners or not.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Guts

Event comments:

Nice low profile race if you need to throw something something offical or want to be around a race atmosphere, but being the small college run charity event it is as organzied as you would expect.

Last updated: 2010-02-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:51 | 03.11 miles | 05m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/37
Overall: 2/122
Performance: Good
Didn't wear the garmin, no splits.
Course: Flat oceanside course with a few sandtraps along the way. Slight wind but nothing much to worry about weather wise. Basically a quick out and back except for a small loop at the far end to add on to the distance of the parking lot we were running in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes