United States
Berry College
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 3s
Overall Rank = 86/675ish
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

Had friends in town this weekend, so instead of going out Friday night and having fun, I had to be an old fart and go to sleep early. Woke at 530, shower, pb toast and was out the door. Had a cup of coffee, cliff bar and sipped gatoraid along the way.
Event warmup:

Got a half decent parking space, so my warmup was a jog to the race start for packet pickup and personnals drop off. Port-o-john stop and to the corral with about 30 seconds to spare.
Run
  • 1h 44m 3s
  • 13.14 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I was almost late to the start line, I had a bad position and spent the first 5-10 minutes dodging and jockeying for position. I think this slowed me down a little but not enough to be concerned with. Kept it in Zone 2 for the first 3 miles and kicked it up to try and stay in Zone 3 for the rest of the race. Though this was not very successful, as my HR data was kinda all over the place, it did keep me from being lazy. Every time I saw the monitor below my race level, I was reminded to pick it up a bit. One major hill slowed me down, and everything else was minor bumps in the road. Felt like I started to fade at mile 9-10, took a lot to keep from slowing down too much. Was able to pick it up in the last 1/2 mile to have a good finish.

Felt confident the whole time and was comfortable for the most part. Right calf/achilles was giving me trouble towards the end, and my hips now hurt like a mofo. However, no knee issues, and this was run without braces!
What would you do differently?:

Not much I can think of. Used cliff shot blocks for nutrition. Cause slight cramps, but enough to not make me want to try again. It also brought up the fact that I need liquid nutrition from now on as it is difficult for me to chew while running. I feel that my training has paid off and I am in a good position for racing ING at the end of the month.

PR set today at 1:44(set by 5 minutes!)
Post race
Warm down:

Jog back to the car and stretched/rolled for 10 minutes. Wore compression tights in the car on the ride back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor nutrition, lack of consistency in effort (HR data all over the place).

Event comments:

BEAUTIFUL COURSE. Great volunteers and well organized. Not much crowd support, so while it was a little demotivational, it was relaxing and calm.

Last updated: 2009-12-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:03 | 13.14 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 86/675ish
Performance: Good
Course: Loop along the Berry main campus and the Windscape campus. Only 1 major hill to worry about, everything else relatively flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?