United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = mountain Bike F
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

To try to prevent the loss of energy I had on the race I did in this series in May, I ate more than usual before. I had a bowl of cereal when I got up about 4 hours before, and then a Powerbar about an hour before when our wave was suppsed to start.
Event warmup:

Ran about 2 miles and got in the water and swam a few strokes.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

As always, I seem to start out slowly in the beginning and take people over slowly after the first couple hundred yards. I felt good in the water.

I felt the first few tinges of cramps in my calves during the end of the swim. I just stopped kicking all togehter (not that I kick that much to begin with).
What would you do differently?:

I should try to sprint harder at the top of the race, I think.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good. I got to the race early to have my choice of rack space, and I got one close to the bike exit.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 25 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt very strong on the bike. I had an egel on the 2nd loop and was really happy with my performance - no drop in energy. I think eating more in the morning really helped here. I hope that this will be my last on-road tri on my mountain bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

First, I ran in with the bike, eager to get started on the run. I hooked my seat over the rack and leaned down to put on my shoes, when I heard the crash. I looked up, and I had knocked over the whole rack of bikes. Someone with the race organization came up and told me that this happens and to keep getting ready and that he would pick everything up. (My husband jumped in to help out, too - they're a bit lax in this race about outsiders in the transition area.)

OK, that was really disconcerting, but I got ready to go. Just had to put my shoes on to go. Right shoe - point toe, pull on shoe, left shoe - point toe -- shriek, "AAAAHH!" -- fall to the ground and writhe around in pain. It felt like a thick fist-sized lump of pain in my calf. It was the worst cramp I've ever felt, and I'm prone to cramps. I was trying to pull on my toe (with my shoe halfway on) knowing that flexing the toe was the only way to get it to stop, but it hurt so bad it was hard to stretch. My husband, who was still in the Transition area, ran up to me to try to help, and I told him he had to get away because I didn't want to get disqualified for "outside assistance." Finally, I got it to stop.

The guy from the race, who had just finished picking up the bikes and re-racking them, told me to have a gel before I go out on the run and carry water with me because the cramp will most likely come back.
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Though I didn't have the killer cramp from the TA come back. I was getting cramps in my calves and thighs. I would slow down as I massaged and hit my legs.

Walked a lot through this run. It's the frist time I've walked on a run, and I don't feel good about it.

What would you do differently?:

I really want to know why I get these cramps.
Post race
Event comments:

My goal for this race, my first Olympic distance, was under 3 hours, and I did it.

Our start was 8:50. The race was suppsed to start at 8:00 and my wave was supposed to start at 8:20. We ended up not starting until about 8:50. So much for the warmup run doing any good. My muscles were definately cool by the time we started. And everyone in my wave at the swim start was thinking how much hotter it was going to be on the run because of the later start (I'm a total heat wimp).

Last updated: 2005-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman Stealth Sleeveless
Course: Big "L" shape in lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 25 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Performance:
Official time will includes T1 & T2.
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops on hilly course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:00:00 | 06.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Performance:
Course: Pretty course around the lake through some tree covered trails and partly on asphalt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-18 8:55 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Bonelli - Tri Series #3 Champ.

2005-06-19 12:20 AM
in reply to: #177958

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
Subject: RE: Bonelli - Tri Series #3 Champ.
Bonelli,

About your cramps, are you taking any specific multi-vitamins/suplaments? If not, you may want to look into ones that provide more potassium, magnesium and zinc. These should help with the cramps.

Chris
2005-06-19 10:03 AM
in reply to: #177958

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: RE: Bonelli - Tri Series #3 Champ.
Wow! You humble me! I did this race too, and finished in about 3 hours also on my mtn bike, but I ran the run section and you still finished before me! Guess I've got more training to do!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bonelli - Tri Series #3 Champ. Rss Feed