General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Out of towner for Ocean Shores? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-14 11:38 PM

User image

Subject: Out of towner for Ocean Shores?
In L.A., need a HIM this year sometime in the July time frame, to qualify for another race back east that I've signed up for. Due to injuries etc I had written this off, but there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. Per trifind, Ocean Shores is the closest to me (that I can get into), so I am potentially looking into it.

How bad is the drive from Seattle? says about 2.5 hours, that correct? I'd be flying in Fri leaving Sat.

What's the race course like? Didn't see any full reports for the half. Someone mentioned wind somewhere. Elevation looks totally flat.

Recs on a place to stay?

RD/race support? Well done? Supported?

It looked like from last year's result there were very few people (e.g., two people M40-44s) that even did the half.

Other thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by ChrisM 2010-03-14 11:41 PM

2010-03-15 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2726140

Maple Valley
Subject: RE: Out of towner for Ocean Shores?
I don't know what the race course is like.  I have to say it is at least 2.5 hours from Seattle and friday traffic, depending on what time your plane lands, it could be longer.  There are a lot of little hotels in Ocean Shores as it's a little bit of a resort town so I would just go online and check out what is available.  Especially since you will only be staying one night as long as you are Ocean Shores, it doesn't really matter.  It's really pretty there and I would imagine a lot of it being flat.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.
2010-03-15 9:33 AM

User image

it is a flat course.  for both the bike and run..  more than likely it will be windy..  and hopefully sunny.   I am sure that you saw the course info already and there are motels listed on the website also..  The swim portion is not in the ocean it is in a small lake just inland..  but it may still feel cold, the ocean is REALLY cold and dangerous there. 
http://trifreaks.com/OceanShoresTri.aspx 
2010-03-15 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I did this race (the Olyn\mpic) in its inaugural year, and it was pretty well run. The course is a bit different than what I did (and the half is VERY different), but not in a bad way. This one is pancake flat. We had some of the run on the beach, and I can't tell 100% from the course description, but it appears that the course now is all on roads.

WHen I did the race, it was one of those EXTREMELY RARE sunny and calm days. I'd never been to Ocean Shores before when it was NOT windy and actually sunny. THe usual is wind coming in off the ocean and at the very least fog.
2010-03-15 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2726678

User image

I had sent him a PM after I posted and suggested that he contact you.  Told him that I had known that this was one you had done.  I had remembered seeing Donna's pictures of it
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Out of towner for Ocean Shores? Rss Feed