General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Day, what fun! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-15 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern California
Subject: Big Day, what fun!
As a part of my lead-up to IM St. George I wanted to put in a very long day since this will be my first IM. I went ahead and did 4300y swim and then 102 mile ride and then 10 mile run on Saturday. It made for a very long day, but felt good. This may not have been the smartest thing to do, but mentally I needed to know how I would do.

Heres how it went:
An Ensure and some toast and then off too the gym. The swim started at around 7am and I took a pause every 1000 just long enough to have a drink and stayed at a very steady pace. A quick 5 minutes in the spa afterwards and then off to home for some food and a small break of about 45 minutes. Got on the bike and tried to focus on measuring out my efforts throughout the day. Ended up doing a 70 mile loop and re-stocked my food and drink and back out for 32 more miles. Ended up with a decent amount of climbing at around 4500'. Got off the bike feeling better than I have to date and put in as good or better of a overall time. Took anouth 45 minute break to eat/drink and rest up some before changing and heading out to run. This is the first time I have tried the run-walk strategy but I worked well for me and my pace was right on what I thought it should be and finished up good. I also inlude a fair amount of hills in this too. Done at 8pm with a little more than 10hrs of work done.

I was very tired when I was done, but not completely empty. I felt I could have done more if I had too. Had my recovery drink and got cleaned up. Did't feel like eating yet and ended up taking a 1hr nap. I woke up from this a bit hungry and ate, but only had 1 beer before I was ready for bed. I must have been tired to only want 1.

Sunday morning I got up and felt OK. A bit sore and really hungry. Had breakfast and was off to Home Depot. Did some yard work and some more shopping with the wife. Overall I think that I was just a bit more tired than normally the day after my long ride. Two days out I feel good and will get back to it today. Nice big day of fun, gonna do it again.

Anyone else do these types of Big Days?

2010-03-15 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2726709

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-15 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2726709

Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: Big Day, what fun!
Thanks, I am planning one more of these in a few weeks. Same volume, just less time between the three. This of course depends on how I feel tonight when I hit the gym and judge how well i recovered.

I think the endurance cycling is my next step after IM. Double centuries and 8 or 24 hour mtn bike races. All sound like fun.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Day, what fun! Rss Feed