General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Tulsa - where to live? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-17 3:18 PM

Regular
Germantown, TN
Subject: Moving to Tulsa - where to live?
Hello everybody!

I'm considering moving to Tulsa for a new job.  Seems everybody I talk to has a different opinion as to where we should look for a house.  My kids are most important, so I am primarily looking for an area with good schools, and hopefully a good kids sports program.  But seeing as how triathlon is also important to me, I would also like an area that is bike friendly (i.e. bike routes without major highways) and has access to pools.

Anybody have any suggestions for areas that we should consider or perhaps just as importantly, should not consider?

2010-03-18 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2732012

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Subject: RE: Moving to Tulsa - where to live?

drickamer - 2010-03-17 3:18 PM Hello everybody!

I'm considering moving to Tulsa for a new job.  Seems everybody I talk to has a different opinion as to where we should look for a house.  My kids are most important, so I am primarily looking for an area with good schools, and hopefully a good kids sports program.  But seeing as how triathlon is also important to me, I would also like an area that is bike friendly (i.e. bike routes without major highways) and has access to pools.

Anybody have any suggestions for areas that we should consider or perhaps just as importantly, should not consider?

Hey welcome to Oklahoma!  I currently live in Owasso which is about 10 miles from Tulsa.  It's a smaller town, but big enough to have everything you need.  All the stores and food places you could want for the most part.  I went from 1st grade through high school at Owasso and loved it.  The graduating class is around 800 maybe now.  Where as some other schools around Tulsa (Broken arrow, Union and Jenks are huge).  In terms of sports...Owasso has been ranked #1 in the nation in baseball in the past 4 years and has won a ton of state championships.  Football we aren't as good, although we usually make it to the playoffs.  We are 6A but not big enough to get the kind of football players the other schools get.  The current cross country and track coach is very experienced and holds many records in Oklahoma as well as other states.  He placed 4th in the marathon olympic trials back in the day.

There is a local bike shop in owasso that the owner is a triathlete and a good friend of mine.  He did IMLouisville last year with about 7 of us from Owasso.  We just started an Owasso tri and bike club this year and have 80 members.  I'd say 1/2 those are triathletes.  We also have 12 people signed up to do IMFlorida this year.  We will do IMKansas and IMBranson as well.  The rest of the people are somewhat beginners to tri's and will do sprints and oly's this year.  The club does EVERYTHING.  We have people who do road races, mtn bike races, adventure races, ultra marathons...It's a lot of fun.

If I was to live somewhere else it would probably be broken arrow.  The have some nice neighborhoods to live in, although there schools are pretty big which is something I don't like.  Anyway thats my $.02 let me know if you want anymore specific information.

2010-03-18 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2733708

Regular
Germantown, TN
Thanks for the helpful response.

One of the things I noticed last time I was in Tulsa is that the streets did not seem to be very wide, which concerned me that bike riding a challenge.  I know there is a trail along the river that is supposed to be good for riding and running, but I'm not a big fan of packing the bike in the car to go for a ride.  I like to leave from my front door.  I may be a little spoiled in that regard, but how is the riding - is one area better for riding or running than another?
2010-03-20 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2733840

User image

Expert
Tulsa

drickamer - 2010-03-18 12:44 PM Thanks for the helpful response.

One of the things I noticed last time I was in Tulsa is that the streets did not seem to be very wide, which concerned me that bike riding a challenge.  I know there is a trail along the river that is supposed to be good for riding and running, but I'm not a big fan of packing the bike in the car to go for a ride.  I like to leave from my front door.  I may be a little spoiled in that regard, but how is the riding - is one area better for riding or running than another?

Well if you live "IN" the city and not in a suburb of the city then you are not going to be able to just step out your front door and ride unless you want to ride with a bunch of traffic and no bike lane.  Where I live there are a few 4 lane roads we take to get out of town which aren't bad at all.  Then we ride away from tulsa and the roads arn't very busy at all.  The trail you are talking about is nice, but i prefer to run on that trail as opposed to biking.  I can't speak for the other suburbs as i don't live there, but with them all being larger I would guess you would have to drive your bike somewhere.  If you come to town looking for houses let me know and i can tell you some of the routes we ride in Owasso and Tulsa.

2010-04-17 11:39 AM

User image

Broken Arrow has a wonderful bike trail that several neighborhoods have bike paths to.  The trail will also lead all the way into downtown Tulsa, and beyond into Sand Springs.  You can easily find a neighborhood in Broken Arrow that will grant you easy access to this bike trail, which they are talk about expanding north all the way to Catoosa.  I easily put in over 50 miles on that bike trail, and could do more if I wanted to.  Yes there are some roads in Tulsa that are narrow,  and all bikers know you don't go on them to ride your bike.   There are several bike routes that go through South Tulsa area by way of all the different little Subdivisions, never really gets out on the busy roads.  The lead all the way from 101st Street to downtown Tulsa.  There is also another bike trail attached to several downtown areas, that goes north out of Downtown Tulsa on top of an old Train Track.  It connects Tulsa to Skiatook and is the trail used for the Annual 100 mile ride.  Once you get moved into the Tulsa/Broken Arrow area,  there are lots of trials and accesses for you to find and use for Triathlon Training. 
2010-04-28 10:47 PM

User image

New user

Tulsa, OK
Check out the website www.tatok.com Tulsa Area Triathletes. This will get you in touch with many friendly club members in the Tulsa area. Also up-date you on what's going on - events, group rides, etc. Join the group. Good Luck.

2010-06-09 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,
Great schools with excellent sports programs and bike/running trails = Jenks.  I hate to say that and will deny it with my last breath but it is true.  They have excellent baseball, soccer and football programs with very nice facilities for the sports and schools.  There is a 10 diamond baseball park, the football stadium is nicer then most smaller colleges have (they have something like 10-15 state football champion teams).  There is also a really nice biking/running trail that runs along the river (approx a 22 mile loop) with plenty of parking.  The homes in jenks are a little higher then the surrounding communities but resale values didn't drop there like they did everywhere else.  With that said, housing is inredibly cheap in Oklahoma compared to most places.  I moved here from the upper midwest and was amazed with what I could get here compared to the same price range back home.
2010-07-07 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2910512

Extreme Veteran
Panama City
I'm in the military, so i don't live there right now, but my father in law is the head football coach at Glenpool.  And my mother in law is a Softball coach.  As far as High Schools go, Jenks, Union, and Bishop Kelly have the best sports programs.  They live in Sapulpa/Sand Springs and they love it.  It's affordable, clean, good schools.
2010-08-02 10:14 PM

Regular
oklahoma
hi all, I'm going down to visit my parents which live in BA and will be there from the 7th to the 25th, i'll have my bike and need to find a place to swim. Is there any good places to swim in the area? Is the tri group in owasso on the net or is it something I'll need to come to the bike shop to find out about? I'll be moving down to the tulsa area in May so i'm hoping that there is a good bike/tri culture down there. I recently just got into triathlons so i'm not IM distant YET! lol, but i'm hoping to join a club or meet some training friends when i move down there. thanks for everyones input!
2010-08-02 11:34 PM

User image

Tulsa, OK
Owasso is pretty far from Broken Arrow, maybe not a in a big city sense, but for Tulsa I think it is.  There are a few lakes around to swim at...Skiatook and Hayburn.  There is a large group bike ride on the west bank of the river every weds night.  Groups start forming around 5 and leaving pretty steady til 6.  There is a tri group (TAT - Tulsa Area Triathletes) that rides at 6.  There are a lot of trails around town to so you shouldn't have a problem finding biking.
2010-08-03 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3019989

User image

Expert
Tulsa

jmio - 2010-08-02 10:14 PM hi all, I'm going down to visit my parents which live in BA and will be there from the 7th to the 25th, i'll have my bike and need to find a place to swim. Is there any good places to swim in the area? Is the tri group in owasso on the net or is it something I'll need to come to the bike shop to find out about? I'll be moving down to the tulsa area in May so i'm hoping that there is a good bike/tri culture down there. I recently just got into triathlons so i'm not IM distant YET! lol, but i'm hoping to join a club or meet some training friends when i move down there. thanks for everyones input!

First of all BA is only 20 minutes from Owasso lol....Very close.  As for the website for the owasso tri club...We are currently partnered with the local bike shop in owasso (360 Sports) This is our first year we have had club tri uniforms etc. So we are a semi new group.  Although a lot of us have been doing tri's for 3 or 4 years and some have done a full ironman.  Most of the stuff we do together is just the riding.  We have tues/Thurs/Sat rides every week.  Tues/thurs start at 6pm and saturday at 6am.  The bike shop has a website with some info, but not much www.360sportsbikes.com

The TAT group is out of tulsa.  I don't know much about them, but see some of them at the local races.  I think their website is www.tatok.org Anyway PM me if you need anymore info.

2010-08-03 5:32 PM

Regular
oklahoma
sounds pretty organized, I checked out the website and i'll be interested in the group rides. I only have a trek triathlon bike, is that a problem? where does everyone swim at?
2010-08-03 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,
there are two gold's gyms in Tulsa (1 is actually in Broken Arrow) and both have pools.  Other then that I think the only places to swim would be the Y.  I don't know of any ow swim areas but I have never actually looked for one. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Tulsa - where to live? Rss Feed