Sykesville, MD
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 24s
Overall Rank = 103/239
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

PBJ and an apple 3 hours beforehand and then accelerade right before. Arrived very early!
Event warmup:

Walking around, watching everyone do their swim, I didn't start until 1:40 after the first wave so I had plenty of time! Quite a change from my last race where I arrived as it was starting!
Swim
  • 10m
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt very relaxed, could have swam faster had it not been for people in front of me. Next year I will go with the under 10 minute swimmers so I'll have my own half of a lane.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Felt strong coming out of the water, ran to my bike, drank a little more accelerade, put on my gear and headed out.
Bike
  • 50m
  • 14 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a fun ride, I enjoyed it. My legs started to feel fatigued but then they came back on the 2nd half. Took gel 5 miles in and 10 miles in. Great weather! Passed a bunch of people! Only got passed once!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Didn't feel strong enough to run with my bike when I got off immediately. So I walked it into the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Need to do more bricks!
Run
  • 26m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a cramp pretty much through the whole run but it really wasn't too bad. I stopped at the turn around point and drank two cups of water. That seemed to help. Everyone was encouraging each other, it was really nice to hear that (and fun to cheer on everyone else). Passed a few people, only got passed twice!
What would you do differently?:

Again, more brick workouts, and overall I need to keep working on my running skills.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat and talked with friends, cheered on everyone else as they finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Aerobic capacity, I didn't have my HR monitor on, but I'm pretty sure I was in a very high zone during the run, I was getting almost out of breath. One of the things that should also help is getting rid of my excess weight, my goal is to continue at my current pace of 1 lb loss every other week.

Event comments:

Loved this race! Great volunteers, well organized, lots of people cheering me on! Very fun, will definitely do it next year.

Last updated: 2005-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 400 meters | 02m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/239
Performance: Good
*Estimated time
Suit:
Course: I was in the "zig zag" wave which meant that swimmers had to go up and back in one lane, move to the next, and then go up and back, repeat for all 8 lanes. If there was someone in front of you who was slower than you, you were forced to either go as slow as them or try to pass them while trying not to be run over by people coming in the opposite direction. It was a bit chaotic, but I managed to pass a couple people and make my way through.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:00 | 14 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Performance:
*Estimated time
Wind: Some
Course: This was my first hilly course for during a triathlon, my other two have been flat. I had a chance to ride this a few times before the race and I am very glad, there are a lot of turns and it was good to know when the hills were coming up (especially the last couple that were pretty steep)!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:00 | 03.1 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Good
*Estimated time
Course: Up a gradual hill to a flat/downhill, turn around to go back down the hill and then uphill to finish. That last uphill was tough!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-20 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: SCSC Triathlon

2005-06-20 12:58 PM
in reply to: #178639

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: SCSC Triathlon
Good job Liz. It was great meeting you at the race! Maybe we'll catch up at another one soon.

Marcy
2005-06-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: #178869

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Thanks Marcy! It was nice meeting you too! Congrats to you as well!
2005-06-21 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Nice job! Hopefully next year you can get in on one of the sub 10-minute waves. This makes the swim much nicer in this race. I agree that finishing this race on an uphill is hard.

Do you live in the area? I live in Sykesville - I moderate a small training group of people living in Sykesville. Look us up in yahoo groups at Sykesville Multisport. We do triathlons of various distances, running, marathon training, etc.
2005-06-21 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Thanks! I usually train by myself since I'm not super fast. But my training sessions have been getting a little boring recently training with a group might be nice. I live in Baltimore City but could potentially join up with you guys on the weekends or after work some evenings. I'll check out your yahoo group...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SCSC Triathlon Rss Feed