General Discussion Race Reports! » No Frills All Thrills 5 Mile Trail Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

No Frills All Thrills 5 Mile Trail Run - Run5 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brighton, Michigan
United States
Brighton Area Road Striders
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 54m 33s
Overall Rank = 173/213
Age Group = 25-29 Females
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

I got in late last night from Atlanta. Had a bit of a drive...so I was up and on the road by 8am. No breakfast. Got a car wash.
Event warmup:

Stretching and sitting in a warm car.
Run
  • 54m 33s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile was TORTURE! I was cold, it was cold and my body wasn't too happy to be running. But even at that, I completed the first mile in 10:28, which isn't bad for me. After that, the blood was flowing and I felt pretty good. I found a big, tall blond in a bright green shirt to pace off of and kept on her feet until the first water station where she stopped to walk. I was BUMMED becase she was setting a great pace and was making it easy for me. After, I paced off a girl in a pink Nike top.

I took a couple super-short walking breaks, but only on the flats. I ran up all of the hills. I checked my watch at mile 4 and it said 42 minutes. My goal was to finish in under an hour...and it was then that I knew I was going to easily hit my goal. It was a good feeling.

When I came around the last corner, my BT/Greyhound friends were waiting at the finish line and cheering me on. Super nice of them. It was very cool.
What would you do differently?:

I felt like I needed the short walking breaks, but I didn't. I need to get tougher mentally. And I really should start warming up before races. Starting cold (especially when it's FREEZING out) isn't smart.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched the legs, had some water and a few snacks and then watched my BT friends collect their awards!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to properly warm up before races.

Event comments:

Fun race, great venue and lots of volunteers. And tons of great snacks after.

Last updated: 2010-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:33 | 05 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 172/213
Performance: Good
Course: Trail race...ground was mostly solid, just a few areas that were a little muddy. One dead raccoon on the side of the trail about 2 miles in, poor little guy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-20 9:44 PM

Master
Subject: No Frills All Thrills 5 Mile Trail Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » No Frills All Thrills 5 Mile Trail Run Rss Feed