Pirhana Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 31s
Overall Rank = 26/360
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/30
Pre-race routine:

Had bagel on way to race site. Had standard shake about 2.5 hours before race start. This race was a little weird, you had to get there relatively early (by 6:30), but the race didn't start until 9:30. I set up my transition area by 7 or so, then just hung around until my ferry left around 8 for the fort. Spent about an hour or so just waiting for the race to start at the Fort. This was probably the biggest downer on the race (all the down time), but I understand they do it to try to time the slack tide (which they did pretty well).
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 27m 5s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the part of the race I was dreading. 2 years ago they pulled 90-100 people (1/3 of the entrants) out of the water, so that's why I was nervous. But excited too, I liked the challenge. It didn't look so bad on the way over, but the wind picked up towards the start. They set up buoys for us but it wasn't clear what they were for. Started in water, I stayed to the left to stay out of the mess of people. Chop was a little high, not as bad as the bay swim last week but definitely noticeable. Waves seemed to be coming on my right side so I breathed on my left side. Although that's my weak side I did pretty well. I didn't notice much current but I think there was some. For some reason they only put buoys about halfway and then they stopped, I guess they felt you could sight the shore fine by then. I started to get a little disoriented sometime (probably the current), I would swim 10-15 strokes and then sight and be a little off. Once we got into the channel though I think we were swimming with the current because I felt like I was flying - and I never do when swimming!

Looking at the times, the course was probably short, at least compared to Columbia (and my time).
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, probably just have a better line picked out beforehand. Navigation went well (it's a straight line, how could it not be!). Probably should have swam a little less hard based on how the rest of the race went. Didn't really feel it at the time though.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Went barefoot on the bike for first time. Used my new Nike Tspeed shoes.

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 12s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 22.82 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind had been picking up at the start of the race so I was prepared for some wicked headwinds at some point. They never did seem to come though, I did notice some for a little while but they weren't too bad. Heard some people complaining about the wind afterwards but it didn't seem that bad to me. Course was pancake flat except for the big climb over the bridge near the start that you do twice (out and back). Felt really easy on the way out, not so easy on the way back. Kept up a good tempo for most of race, but overall I felt I pushed it too hard. I would ride until I felt I couldn't sustain the pace (either felt like I was going to puke or my legs started to burn) and then I backed off just a little. Drank about 35 ounces of cytomax on the bike. Probably should have drank more but my stomach was a little quesy. Probably due to swimming harder than normal. Overall, the bike felt pretty good but not as good as Columbia.

Back off a little and try to drink more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

First time when I left the shoes on the bike. Went pretty well taking my feet out, probably should have done it with hands on brake hoods instead of aerobars. Rest of T2 went as expected, took a little longer to put socks on though. Also put a fuel belt on.
Run
  • 43m 28s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

After Columbia when I didn't drink enough on the run, I decided to go with a fuel belt for this race. Yeah, I know, fuel belt for a 10K looks kind of dorky, but I can never seem to drink out of the cups (yeah I know the fold thing), but the fuel belt bottles work fine for me. Unfortunately my stomach was a little worked up and knotted after pushing it too hard on the bike and swim. I felt on the urge of puking a little, so that made the urge to drink a little less than it should have been. I really don't like these out-and-back completely flat courses. They are just too boring. Honestly, I would have prefered the hills of Columbia to this, just provides more variety.

Anyways, I never did feel comfortable on the run. The miles weren't marked (if they were I'm just blind), so I didn't know what my pace was, but it felt slower than Columbia, mostly because I didn't feel as good. Passed a handful of people, got passed by a few (some damn 17 year old!). Picked up the pace a little over the last 2 miles or so (go tailwind!) and finished pretty strong. I think I ran slightly negative splits, but I don't remember too well. Lost focus during the run (due to the boring course I think). Turns out my pace was actually slightly faster than Columbia, but it sure felt worse.

Not push it too hard on the bike and therefore have a better run.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to find some shade and drink some water. The aforementioned nausea came and went, I wasn't able to eat that much but did put down some fluids. Appetite came back on the car ride home. I actually got the 2nd place award for my age group, cool huh? Turns out the top two guys in my age group finished in the top 3 overall, so the second place award rolled down to me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not really sure. Probably running endurance. I've been focusing more on the bike mileage the last month or so, running volume dropped a little. Also I don't have a real good feel for running pace. Lastly I was too focused on a good bike split (I wanted to break 23 MPH avg) when I should have been more focused on a good overall race.

Event comments:

Other than the lots of down time before the race started, the race was well run. I definitely recommend racing with these folks to anyone that's interested.

Last updated: 2005-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:05 | 1650 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/30
Overall: 136/360
Performance: Good
HR: 169 avg, 179 max
Suit: Ironman Sleeveless
Course: Straight from the Fort to the mainland, up a little channel to the exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:12 | 24.8 miles | 22.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/30
Overall: 11/360
HR: 171 avg, 184 max
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with a loop (RD called it a lollipop). Pancake flat except for big climb twice over bridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:43:28 | 06.2 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/30
Overall: 25/360
Performance: Average
HR: 171 avg, 182 max
Course: Out and back, basically flat with some very minor incline/decline.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes