General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's happening to my free hub? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-26 11:18 PM

User image

Subject: What's happening to my free hub?

I have a road bike and noticed that the cassette had been digging into my free hub.  Everything is shimano on the bike and I believe the free hub is made from aluminum.  The torque specs are correct on the lock ring and the cassette feels very snug with no play.  Does anyone have an idea of what causes this?

2010-03-27 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2751970

Veteran
Boulder
Subject: RE: What's happening to my free hub?
This happens quite often. It's indicative of a LOT of out of saddle climbing. Not really an issue at all - it just means that your hub is softer than your cassette (which is a good thing). If it really bothers you, or more importantly, if you can't get the cassette off, you can head to a LBS and have them grind the burrs off for you. My shop charged me $10.
2010-03-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2752229

User image

Subject: RE: What's happening to my free hub?

Ok, so thats normal.  Well usually my LBS does the maintenance on my bike, but there service quality has been lacking lately, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and perform all the PMs on my bike.  I had a problem getting the cassette off at first, but eventually they came off.  I used a Dremel tool to grind the burs.  Thanks for the help.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's happening to my free hub? Rss Feed