Ohio River Road Runners Club
40sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 35s
Overall Rank = 57/118
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up, got my stuff together - I knew I was going to need a change of clothes for after the race and ate a peanut butter cliff bar.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the upper parking lot and then stood around really cold waiting for the race to start.
Run
  • 1h 13m 35s
  • 6.3 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

A total mess but a lot of fun. I lost my shoe about a quarter mile in as I was hopping a stream, the mud sucked it right off my foot, I got about three strides past it before I could turn around to go get it, luckily some nice guy was already pulling it out of the mud for me. I managed to keep myself from falling three times before I finally slipped in the mud just before the aid station. Once I fell my shorts were covered in mud and wet and I spent the rest of the race trying to keep them up. Whoever was behind me got a view of my butt - at least I was smart enough to wear some spandex shorts underneath (am I really admitting to wearing spandex?) so the view for whoever was behind me was of black spandex instead of my bare bum.
What would you do differently?:

Considering this was my first 10K and also my first trail run I was pretty pleased with the overall results. I think it would behoove me to do some additionaly trail running before another trail race but really it didn't matter I was just out to have fun and get a workout.
Post race
Warm down:

Picked up my finisher's medal, shoved my face full of cookies and chatted with the dude that I used as a pacer for the last couple of miles. Oh and was approached by the race director who inisisted on taking a picture of my muddiness since I was in white - pictures were posted from the event but I didn't see my picture in it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmmm...inexperienced trail runner coupled with very sloppy and muddy conditions.

Last updated: 2010-03-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:13:35 | 06.3 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 57/118
Performance: Good
Course: A muddy trail run through the woods and along a river. Several streams to hop over, some deep ravines to climb up and lots of slipping and sliding.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes