South Carroll Swim Club
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 30s
Overall Rank = 32/240
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/26
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast of banana and 1/2 power bar, 8 oz gatorade and 16 oz water. Arrived at race at 6 am - 1 hour before my scheduled wave start, checked in and set up in transition area.
Event warmup:

Stretching, quick jog around parking lot, swim 150 yards to stretch out.
Swim
  • 05m 46s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start for this swim was a bit silly. This is the first time the race used a timing chip and they didn't know how to do an in-water start. So we lined up in the grass to the side of the pool for the start and had to run to our assigned lane when the gun went off. It was a little confusing as I ended up in the wrong lane, but once in the water everything was ok. I figured the person who belonged where I ended up found my assigned slot and jumped in ok, too. I ended up seeded along side the same guys I raced in this race last year. I was a little slower than last year, I think, but it wasn't worth going totally anaerobic for such a short swim in the pool. I swam a steady pace and tried to keep my HR low throughout the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Focus on turns a little more and increase my stroke turnover.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

My T1 is still slow since I insist on socks and cycling gloves, shirt and shades even at this shorter distance. Unfortunately a few slower swimmers passed me in T1 - but I caught them on the bike later on.

I suppose more T2 practice would help.
Bike
  • 44m 2s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Slightly faster than last year's split. Early on I passed a few of the fish who aren't strong cyclists. Then I held my position 4th in my wave. I tried to catch the lead group of 3 cyclists but couldn't get them (turns out it was the same guys I couldn't catch LAST year!). I felt a bit tired, especially on the hills, but I held about a 19 mph pace - good for me. I got passed by one guy from wave 2 right as we entered T2.

More training would make a big difference.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Nothing much happened here. I think 1 or 2 people snuck by me here. I paused for 15 seconds to drink some gatorade, but otherwise moved right through.
Run
  • 22m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran a good pace, but faded in the last mile. I did get passed by 1 person on the run (a 16 year old who had a great race!). I was close enough to a guy in front of me to make a move in the last half of the race but faded on the last uphill. Had to settle for 6th place in my wave.
Post race
Event comments:

This was my second time racing this event, so it was interesting to compare my time this year (1:17:30) to last year (1:16:30). I was a full minute slower than last year but, just as last year, I placed 3rd in my age group (yey hardware!) which is good, considering there was a larger field this year (240 vs 175) and the competition seemed to be a higher caliber this year. This race is local for me - 9 miles from my home - making it a nice way to spend Father's Day morning without much travel time.

Last updated: 2005-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:46 | 400 meters | 01m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/240
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Up and back and up and back and up .... well you get the picture. A simple pool swim in a 25 meter pool.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:02 | 14 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: 14 miles on rolling hills in S. Carroll County, MD. First 5 miles is on gently rolling state highway. Second 5 miles is the "roller coaster" on Gillis Falls Road - 3 very big climbs, each followed by big downhills (topping at 40+ mph). Last 4 miles gently rolling, with one very steep climb in the last mile. Uphill ride into T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:56 | 03.1 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
No official splits but my first mile split was right around 7 minutes, my 1/2 way split was 11-something. For me this is a pretty good pace.
Course: Out and back along shoulder of MT Rt 26. Starts at top of one hill, over second hill, turn around at the top of a 3rd hill, then return over same route. Hills are long and gradual. Downhills are great.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes