BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-12-06 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3238892

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
I'll probably do a 5K on Saturday since my plans for another HM were quashed.  Not the best idea for my long-term training, but what the heck, it's a good cause and a good friend of mine is planning on doing it for her 1st race since remission from MS.  And, if it is above 32, my father-in-law may join up too. 

I seem to have hit a bit of a motivation block this weekend.  I'm hoping I just need a couple of "recovery" days, but mentally, I just don't seem to have the drive right now... maybe just the cold weather and short days too.

Y'all have a good one!  Good luck in the 8K, Randy.

Michael, will you be mentoring again?

Stu

2010-12-08 10:50 PM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Randy -- 5K 'program' is long term (I don't expect to hit my goal for probably a year or more), but going well so far.  My next key workout is tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous, but I often get that way before a workout that I'm both excited about and know will hurt.  Best of luck in your 8k.  That's a really great distance to race.  Long enough to know that you did something, but short enough that the recovery isn't awful.

Stu -- it is 20 degrees in the morning here right now, so I imagine similar for you.  Lack of motivation is to be expected!  I ran this morning at 6am and it was definitely an act of will to get myself out the door.  (But, as usual, half way through I was glad I did.)  It is great that you've got generations involved in the race.  I organized a Thanksgiving '5k' (it was 5k, but of course not an 'official' race) and managed to get 4 generations of my family involved, from my 5 year old daughter to my 83 year old grandmother.  That was a really proud moment for the whole family.

Yes, I'll probably do another mentor group this winter.   I can't seem to stay away from it!  I just love learning and growing in tri along with others.  Funny, because in just about every other aspect of life, I'm pretty much a loner.  (I spent a week in a cabin in the middle of nowhere not too long ago, totally isolated from the rest of the world, just writing.  If it weren't for painfully missing my family, honestly I could have stayed there for months and been perfectly happy.)
2010-12-11 5:10 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey folks-Survived the 8k today. Basic goal was to go sub 36 since last year was 36:56. BIG stretch goal was sub 35. Finished in 35:13.  Satisfied given the drop in my run volume since November HIM. But, I do think the more frequent intervals at higher intensity helped.  Ended up first in AG, first in masters and 9th or 10th overall.  To be honest though it is a fairly small 8k as a half marathon is run simultaneously and most of the faster folks do that to train for the big local half/full marathon coming up in January.  I am pleased with the improvement over the last year-now I have to decide whether I will do the half marathon in January.

Stu-did you run the 5k today?

Hope everyone is doing well.

Randy   

2010-12-12 4:02 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Great result Randy!
2010-12-13 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Randy - super run. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :-) I certainly agree about the benefit of intervals. I've been sick for the past few days with the head cold / creeping crud that's been going around. Since my friend and father-in-law had decided to skip the 5K, I decided to pass on it as well in favor of a longer training run. However, spent Saturday morning sawing and splitting wood and pulled out my back again... grrr... so, like it or not, a few days off. Things feel a little better this morning though... which, if it is cleared up is a major improvement... usually it is 4-5 days before things limber up, so I think perhaps the back exercises have really made a significant difference.

Michael - so glad to hear you'll be mentoring again. While I won't take up a spot in your group so that others can benefit from your knowledge, you can bet I'll be lurking! I still maintain that coaching is in your future :-)

Have a great week everyone,
Stu

Edited by juneapple 2010-12-13 7:57 AM
2010-12-15 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3242257

User image

Regular
Experior Yes, I'll probably do another mentor group this winter.   I can't seem to stay away from it!  I just love learning and growing in tri along with others.  Funny, because in just about every other aspect of life, I'm pretty much a loner.  (I spent a week in a cabin in the middle of nowhere not too long ago, totally isolated from the rest of the world, just writing.  If it weren't for painfully missing my family, honestly I could have stayed there for months and been perfectly happy.)

Michael,

Do you know when these are going to start up?  I'd like to join a winter group as well.

- Mark

2010-12-16 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Hi guys,
I've been lurking, but haven't much time to join in discussions.
There have been some pretty big ups and downs in life around here.
Two big events: My seven year old daughter did her first 5k on Thanksgiving morning with me! I was super proud of her, and she had a great time! I was especially proud, because she didn't train for it at all, and she did fantastic.
And, I have decided to organize a half marathon in honor of a former teacher who is battling cancer. I started the project in October, and it's moving along fairly well.

like others, I'm struggling with the weight issue right now. A month ago, I gave up diet coke, and for the first 2 weeks, all I did was eat. It seems to be getting easier now (finally). But, now I have to drop the weight.

If I don't get a chance to drop back in, every one have a great holiday.

Edited by slow turtle 2010-12-16 7:29 PM
2010-12-21 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Happy Holidays everyone!

You might have seen that the winter mentor groups are starting up again.  As fun as its been, I'm going to stop checking in to this thread, now.  I have a simple mind, and if I have to juggle more than one mentor group in my head, it will explode!

It's been truly a great learning experience for me doing the mentor group with you all.  I hope you've all gotten something out of it as well.

Heidi -- I hear you on the diet Coke thing.  It goes away eventually...
2010-12-21 10:19 PM

User image

Expert
Happy Holidays Everyone!  Peace and Joy!

Thanks again Michael for everything... I learned a ton and the group absolutely helped with motivation throughout the year.

If anyone would be interested in tag-teaming a mentor group for mid-life beginners starting after Jan 1, I'd be game. 

Stu
2010-12-22 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3257047

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, a Happy Holiday Season and a fast/injury free New Year!

Randy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40