General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lone Star weather obsession thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-04-23 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2811627

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Lone Star weather obsession thread
it's just water, you swim all the time. 

2010-04-23 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2811829

User image

Regular
LOVE your blog!

I am excited about the rain....well nervous only because of the bike part....but excited nonetheless. I do not want lightening though. I want to conquer my biggest fear which is the swim. If that is canceled, I will cry!
2010-04-23 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2784797

User image

New user
 The weather is going to be just fine and the rain is going to stay to the North, but we may have a few winds to deal with and the 3-5 foot seas is off shore not in the bay.  You will do great in the swim and you will conquer it.)
2010-04-23 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2811898

User image

Regular
Thanks! I am hoping so! I can most definitely battle the wind as the past few weeks here have been windy as heck on riding days.

Getting excited! I am certain there will not be much sleep tonight!
2010-04-23 10:36 AM

Does anyone have an elevation profile for the swim portion of the race? I can't find one on the website.
2010-04-23 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2812247

Veteran
TEXAS
Sea Level????

2010-04-23 11:06 AM

User image

New user
with the waves it may be a few feet above sea level....lol....
2010-04-23 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston

Saturday's weather will be just fine.....
The worst of it is today and will gradually start getting better Cool

Good Luck to Everyone!

Jason

2010-04-24 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2812346

User image

New user

Houston, TX
jasonwb - 2010-04-23 11:10 AM

Saturday's weather will be just fine.....
The worst of it is today and will gradually start getting better Cool

Good Luck to Everyone!

Jason

Or maybe not...hope everyone had a great race, even without the swim. I was mostly releived but a little sad because it was going to be my first open water race.
2010-04-24 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2813804

User image

Regular
Gold member
 Although I had nervous anticipation about the swim (it was my first Oly), I was extremely disappointed we didn't get to do it. They canceled the swim because the bouys would not stay in place to mark the course. I think they made the right call under those conditions, but if the bouys had heavier anchors, I think the course could have stayed and we could have swam.  It's not like they weren't anticipating heavy winds, and couldn't have planned for that.  I talked to someone who saw them putting out the bouys, and he didn't think the weights looked that big for the conditions.  That aside though, they did a great job adapting, and the bike/run was great.  Overall, it was still a well organized, and great race.
2010-04-24 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2814090

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

nyemr - 2010-04-24 2:54 PM  Although I had nervous anticipation about the swim (it was my first Oly), I was extremely disappointed we didn't get to do it. They canceled the swim because the bouys would not stay in place to mark the course. I think they made the right call under those conditions, but if the bouys had heavier anchors, I think the course could have stayed and we could have swam.  It's not like they weren't anticipating heavy winds, and couldn't have planned for that.  I talked to someone who saw them putting out the bouys, and he didn't think the weights looked that big for the conditions.  That aside though, they did a great job adapting, and the bike/run was great.  Overall, it was still a well organized, and great race.

It wasn't the bouys.  According to the Endorfun organizer I know and spoke with this afternoon, they canceled the swim because the head lifeguard for the city of Galveston made the call that conditions were unsafe.  Winds were 23mph with sustained plus gusts well above that.  Choppy, whitecap conditions like those typically result in more cases of distress, while at the same time making it harder for the safety crew to spot swimmers in distress and/or reach them quickly.

Frustrating for the athletes, I know.  But you're right -- it was the correct call for the conditions. (Three hours later, though, it was beatiful out there.  Crazy.)

2010-04-24 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2814105

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
davidb - 2010-04-24 3:13 PM(Three hours later, though, it was beatiful out there.  Crazy.)

That's what is amazing - when I told friends a few hours later that the swim was canceled due to weather they couldn't believe it as it was GORGEOUS out there by then.

Hope everyone had a good race, with the wind like it was I decided I wasn't prepared for that and we left. I know I can go the distance, but I don't feel comfortable riding my bike in those kind of crosswinds. I don't have the experience to feel safe when I am blown around that much. I would have been in WAY over my head to bike out there in those conditions. When my daughter noticed the birds were having trouble flying, that's when I decided I had no business being on a bike! Oh well, there are more races out there...on to the next one!
2010-04-24 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Not that it mattered for me, but it looked fine to swim in.
2010-04-24 4:40 PM

Houston
Looked fine to me also. I was pretty bummed when it was canceled. Ive swam in worse and you gotta expect those conditions in Galveston. Is it ever NOT windy

Edited by triwebb82 2010-04-24 4:42 PM
2010-04-24 4:53 PM

User image

Regular
Hollywood, FL
Anyone have a link to the results yet?
2010-04-24 6:02 PM

User image

Tyler,
Congratulations to everyone today!!! Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. 

-cheers from the Quality Inn.  

2010-04-24 6:35 PM

User image

Regular
Once they said the swim was canceled, I emotionally lost it. Swimming was not only what I was "best" at but what I feared the most. So I was pretty bummed to not have the chance to conquer that but it is what it is.
Overall, it was a fabulous day and fun race! It was a great learning experience for me and I'm most definitely looking forward to my next triathlon!

I am also curious about the results! Post please!
2010-04-24 7:21 PM

User image

Austin
RESULTS!

Count me in on interested in knowing where they are posted. If anyone finds them, please post a link here!

Thanks!

Regarding the swim, I didn't have a lot emotionally riding on this race so I didn't mind too much they canceled it. I needed a mile in open salt water swim like I need a hole in my head.  That said, I do feel bad for all of those folks for whom this race was something big on their calendar.  Lots of Team in Training folks out there fundraised and traveled for this race.  Sorry for them and their families.  As well as for any first-timers who were pumped to go conquer this course.

I hope everybody had a good race!  I thought it was an awesome day!  Can't wait to see the results!
2010-04-24 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Ditto on being super bummed the swim was cancelled. It is also my "best" discipline and I was soooo looking forward to swimming in the ocean water as I'm a landlocked girl. It was also my first outdoor tri - I wanted it to be special. 

It was special alright, but not in a good way. If they would have waited one hour all the weather would have been gone. A major storm blew through in the middle of the night, and what we got at 7am was the updraft into the storm that had already passed - oh well. I guess I'll have to go somewhere else for my first saltwater swim.

Did get some great experience with mass bicycle starts, though. At times it was four people wide on the road, with some people going outside the cones and cycling in the auto traffic lane. Not smart at all, but I did understand their frustration as there were just too many people on the road at one time.

Everything else was great - the event was well organized and the staff/volunteers super nice and cheerful. 
2010-04-24 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2814425

User image

Regular
I think that what could have gone wrong, went wrong today! Haha! I agree that I wish they would have just postponed the races and we could have had a nice swim, bike and run as the weather was lovely (hot but much better than how it started out)

The bike was crazy! I was actually trying to follow USAT rules regarding passing and drafting but it seemed that no one else cared, ha!

Great experience. I think this will make our next experience much better since it'll most likely be an actual triathlon and it will hopefully be storm free!

What was your age group?
2010-04-24 8:37 PM

I'm dying to see my results.  The web site is primarly focused on the IM 70.3 race.  Everything dealing with the Sprint and Olymic distances seems to be an afterthought... except for registering and paying for the race - which was quite easy and user friendly.  No where on the web page or in the athletes guide do they mention where on the web the results will be posted.  Maybe it will be obvious when they are finally posted.  Thanks, in advance, to anyone who finds and posts a link to the results. 

2010-04-24 8:42 PM

TX
Any links for results?
2010-04-24 8:50 PM

User image

Austin
I just spoke with someone from Ironman.  The timing was done by Ironman themselves (didn't use an outside company whose website we could check).  She said she wasn't sure when results would be posted (because they still have the 70.3 tomorrow).  I concluded from her comment that they are likely not posting results until AFTER the 70.3 runs tomorrow.  Then they will post all at one time.

Going to check the Lonestar homepage tomorrow afternoon. I suspect we will see results then.

She also didn't know if it would still be a qualifier for USAT Nationals. She said that was a question for USAT. Anybody else know whether it was still a qualifier?

Will post here if I see the results pop up out there someplace. 
2010-04-24 8:54 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

I have to disagree with the folks who said it looked OK to swim.  There were a lot of first timers out there today and the conditions would have made it unsafe.  Think about the ratio of lifeguards to athletes.

As to why it was not postponed, I would assume that Keith contracts with the city for police/EMS and road closure.  Postponing the race would have resulted in athletes still racing and in need to the services the city was providing.

I think that Keith had the best interest of 1500+ racers and made 100% the right call.  His dedication to producing a fun safe race is the reason I choose to race Endorfun events.

2010-04-24 9:20 PM

User image

New user

Houston, TX
Agreed with above. There had to be a point in time where Keith had to call the swim and keep the support for the other events. I guess that time came.

I did find it strange that all of the post-race festivities weren't set up when I finished around 9:00. I was in the first row of transition, so we were out first. When I finished, it was a little hard to find hydration. I never saw the beer or pizza, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lone Star weather obsession thread Rss Feed  

of 6