Mission Hillstompers
9C / 48F
Overcast
Total Time = 44m 55s
Overall Rank = 26/91
Age Group = 45-54
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Normal routine of not having a routine. Basically got up early and drove out to Mission wondering the whole time if I was going to run out of gas!
Got to race site, picked up my number and headed back to my truck.
Event warmup:

No warmup. Stayed in my nice warm truck until about 2 minutes before the gun went off.
Run
  • 44m 55s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 29s  min/km
Comments:

Forgot to set the Garmin so had to wait at the starting line after the gun went off to obtain satellites etc. before starting out, no biggie. Overall, a very good run for me. Wasn't expecting much from this race as I was using it as a training run for upcoming Sun Run May 9th. Was not out to set any record times so I was surprised to see the clock at the finish line.
Started off very conservatively and just tried to keep good rhythm and pace. Felt really strong climbing first hill and then settled into a goo pace and watched the km markers pass by. Starting feeling a little thirsty around 3.5-4 km mark. A bit surprised to note that the water station was located a little bit past the 5 km mark. Station was positioned just at the bottom of a slight uphill so made drinking on the run a bit of a chore trying to power up the incline. Took a while to get my breath back then settled comfortably into finishing off the final kms.
Came upon another runner around 8.5 km who was walking ahead of me and decided to start running right beside me and start up a conversation. I was getting a bit tired by this point and had a hard time speaking with him and keeping a proper pace as he was accelerating and slowing all of the time which was a bit distracting. Kind of ran out of gas around 9.5 km mark and fell about 5 meters back from my new running companion. Just kept pace until the finish line and was glad to see what time the clock read.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a training race so I was happy with learning more about pacing myself better and starting more slowly off the line.
Post race
Warm down:

The normal routine of walking for a few minutes after the run to catch my breath and scope out the nearest food table.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

This is still a low key race in Mission. Entries should increase because as it is a great course and the run is at a good point early in the racing season. The organization was good but I found the post race activities, food etc. to be a bit sub-par perhaps to some more established races. I believe the organizers and mayor of Mission are making good efforts to increase awareness and attendance for next year's race. Overall, a good event.

Last updated: 2010-03-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:55 | 10 kms | 04m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 26/91
Performance: Good
Made a conscious decision not to wear my HRM, iPod or headgear as they have proven to be distractions in prior races. Did wear a pair of sunglasses though as the sun did make an appearance.
Course: Basically an out and back course on the residential streets of Mission. Smallish hill within the 1 km mark then downhill for what seemed to be half of the course. One section had a pretty steep downhill section around the 3 or 4 km mark. Thought for sure there would be a price to pay for the downhill sections in the form of a huge uphill near the end of the race but turned out to be a very gradual, slow almost unnoticeable slope up to the finish line. Overall a very nice course and, at least in my mind, a good one for setting a PR time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes