General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-less Pedals or No? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-14 9:28 PM

Subject: Clip-less Pedals or No?
I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere in this forum already, but I am new to the site and haven't had time to look through a lot of posts.

I am doing a triathlon in August. The swim is 200 meters, bike is 8 miles, and the run is 3 miles. I am a USA Swimming coach and have swam since I was 9, so the swimming I am not very worried about. However, I am not a very good runner, and I have never biked before. I know that these distances are very short, but this is my first triathlon ever. I am scared that I will finish with the biking and be too exhausted to run. So my question is this- would investing in "clip-less" pedals to place on my bike be a great investment? I hesitate to even worry about it because 1) it is my first race and I don't want to pretend that I am a pro and 2) the distance is short so do you even use the clip-less pedals for such short races?.

Any opinions? They are appreciated!

2010-04-14 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2792912

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, Il (Chicagoland)
Subject: RE: Clip-less Pedals or No?
If you have never biked before, then don't even think of trying clipless pedals until you are entirely comfortable on the bike.

Whether you use or don't use clipless pedals will have no impact on your race.  While clipless are indeed more efficient, they will not be a make or break your race at all.   Concentrate on learning to ride a bike with traditional platform pedals - you will do just fine.

Having or not having clipless pedals will not be a factor on how tired you are going into the run, that is entirely a function of your fitness.  Instead of worrying about the type of pedal you are using you should just concentrate entirely on your physical fitness.  Your fitness has 10000000% more impact on how you feel running after the bike than whether you use clipless pedals or not.
2010-04-14 9:42 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Plenty of people ride without them.  Mrs gearboy uses basic platforms, not even cages.  However, if you are interested in getting the most out of the bike, then even for a short event, clipless is the way to go.  You have a more efficient transfer of energy to the bike. You definitely don't need to be a pro to use clipless pedals. But there is a learning curve (i.e. everyone falls over still clipped in at least once).  A race in August is plenty of time to learn, and the training rides will be more enjoyable with clipless.
2010-04-14 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2792935

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

trigertas - 2010-04-14 7:41 PM If you have never biked before, then don't even think of trying clipless pedals until you are entirely comfortable on the bike.

Whether you use or don't use clipless pedals will have no impact on your race.  While clipless are indeed more efficient, they will not be a make or break your race at all.   Concentrate on learning to ride a bike with traditional platform pedals - you will do just fine.

Having or not having clipless pedals will not be a factor on how tired you are going into the run, that is entirely a function of your fitness.  Instead of worrying about the type of pedal you are using you should just concentrate entirely on your physical fitness.  Your fitness has 10000000% more impact on how you feel running after the bike than whether you use clipless pedals or not.

Agree with this entirely.  If you get into triathlon and/or cycling you'll probably eventually want to go clipless, but it shouldn't be a priority for you right now.  Plus you'll be quicker in transition if you don't have to switch shoes.

Do, however, incorporate what are called "brick" workouts in your training.  Basically it's a bike workout followed immediately by a run workout.  Either or both can be at full race distance but don't have to be.  The main thing (in addition to just gaining fitness) is to train your legs to stop pedaling and start running.

This was the hardest thing for me in my first tri--got of the bike and for the first half mile or so it was really a struggle to make my legs go.  But eventually you get in the running mode, and the transition gets easier the more you do it--at least it has for me.

2010-04-15 5:38 AM

User image

I agree there's a learning curve.  One nice thing, though, is that you can switch back and forth during your training very easily.  I picked up a set of Nashbar "Look" style pedals and a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes for under $60 from bikenashbar.com.  I started using them immediately, but when I'd go for a ride with the family, I'd throw my platforms back on for the strolls through the 'hood.  Takes about 5 minutes to switch pedals.  If you're interested in trying it, it's not a huge expense, relative to some other gear for triathlon, and if you're not comfortable with them by race day, you swap 'em out before the race.  It's not like once you've tried clipless you're not allowed to switch back.  I have a feeling, though, that once you try them, you'll not want to go back.  I've done the "pull-up-to-the-portable-john-and-fall-over" thing before, and that's pretty embarrassing, but even that's not enough to make me want to go back to my platforms.  I've noticed that hills seem much easier for me than without them, maybe because I can pull as I'm climbing the hill.  You can't do that with platforms.  I've never used cages, so I don't know how much pulling you can do with those.

For what it's worth, I got the Pearl Izumi Quest Road Shoe ($29.99) and Nashbar Special pedals ($34.99).  They were on a little cheaper when I bought them in '08, but it's still a pretty economical way to switch.  You can spend 10x that if you want, and get much lighter, stronger equipment, but it doesn't sound like you're training for an Ironman...... yet!

Good luck!
2010-04-15 5:54 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-04-15 6:15 AM

there will be people riding mountain bikes and shopping bikes with baskets on them at your triathlon if it is anything like every other triathlon in the world. So dont sweat your pedals.

If you worried about performance - the efficiency you'll get by using clipless will be wiped out over 8miles by the time you'll waste putting on and taking off shoes 

Ride with what you are comfortable with, with what reduces the risk of you hurting yourself mounting/dismoutning in the melee of the transition, and then think about it as yo are walking out of T3 as an addicted triathlete for your next race and training.

Once you have clipless and have fallen off a few times you will never go back - they are night & day but they are also a pain in the to get used to and you will fall off and likely hurt yourself. They wont give you a huge performance advantage in your first race. 

2010-04-15 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2793030

Regular
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
tjh - 2010-04-15 12:25 AM

Do, however, incorporate what are called "brick" workouts in your training.  Basically it's a bike workout followed immediately by a run workout.  Either or both can be at full race distance but don't have to be.  The main thing (in addition to just gaining fitness) is to train your legs to stop pedaling and start running.

This was the hardest thing for me in my first tri--got of the bike and for the first half mile or so it was really a struggle to make my legs go.  But eventually you get in the running mode, and the transition gets easier the more you do it--at least it has for me.

Brcks are great for increasing training time and getting a handle on pacing.  I tend to think that rather then training your legs to run after a cycling, you are training your brain to beleive you can run and push through the first 3-5 minutues of stiffness/awkwardness after cycling.
2010-04-15 3:59 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
do you know how to ride a bike in a basic sense ? or really, you have literally never rode a bike before ?

if you have some experience (even from childhood), then I'd start now with the clip-less plan, and within a few months you should be a whiz at them.  maybe start off with regular pedals as a refresher, and then go to the clip-less. be prepared to fall, as in wear some protective gear at first (elbow and knee pads, & of course helmet for example).

make sure you have someone to help train you with this, unless you want to hurt yourself.

you have quite a bit of time to get used to clip-less pedals before your tri. but you should have gotten through all the "learning" phases of clip-less and it should be second nature to you when you hit the tri.

HOWEVER, if you really have never biked before, just learn how to ride the bike first...skip the idea of clip-less and concentrate on building your bike skills, and get some miles on those legs.

then after your tri, you can embark on the clip-less if you are stoked with doing more races.

2010-04-15 4:28 PM

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi -- I just went to clipless (this week!).  Bought a pair of Speedplays and $90 Shimano shoes.  I've been training on the bike regularly for about a year, first just using platforms, then with toe clips (although the straps on the toe clips broke within 3 months, so now I just have the clips).

Transitioning to the clipless was much easier than I thought it would be.  I had a couple of near falls with the first couple of rides, but so far it's been very comfortable.  I am still slow getting it into the clip, but I'm getting better.

Has is made me faster?  Maybe.  It helps that I attached them to my brand new roadie (as opposed to the toeclips on my current hybrid).  Yes it allows me to use the full range of motion, but the toeclips kinda did this as well.

Does it make my legs less tired?  No -- same feeling.

Does it make me feel more like a real cyclist?  ABSOLUTELY!  Why wouldn't you want to pretend you are a pro? 

I would not have bought them just starting out.  But I should have invested in them sooner than I did.
2010-04-15 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2794736

Master
PNW
metafizx - 2010-04-15 1:59 PM do you know how to ride a bike in a basic sense ? or really, you have literally never rode a bike before ?

if you have some experience (even from childhood), then I'd start now with the clip-less plan, and within a few months you should be a whiz at them.  maybe start off with regular pedals as a refresher, and then go to the clip-less. be prepared to fall, as in wear some protective gear at first (elbow and knee pads, & of course helmet for example).

make sure you have someone to help train you with this, unless you want to hurt yourself.

you have quite a bit of time to get used to clip-less pedals before your tri. but you should have gotten through all the "learning" phases of clip-less and it should be second nature to you when you hit the tri.

HOWEVER, if you really have never biked before, just learn how to ride the bike first...skip the idea of clip-less and concentrate on building your bike skills, and get some miles on those legs.

then after your tri, you can embark on the clip-less if you are stoked with doing more races.

Ditto this.  If you have truly never even ridden a bike, don't even think about clipless yet - worry about getting the hang of biking first.

BUT, if you are like me and rode bikes when you were younger but you just haven't done it as an adult or for any type of competition, then there is no reason why you can't start out with clipless.  I did and I'm no stunt person.  You will certainly have time to adjust if your tri isn't until August.

2010-04-15 5:32 PM

Extreme Veteran

For my first tri I had platforms with cages.  It worked fine for me.  I switched to clip in pedals and mountain bike shoes for this year.  That said I’d like to echo the previous comments about being comfortable on your bike as being one of the deciding factors, that and your desire to continue with tris and your willingness to part with $50-$120.  If you’re committed, proficient on your bike and have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket then go for it.  Otherwise, it’s not a big deal and you will certainly be fine without them.

2010-04-15 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2792939

Extreme Veteran
The Redlands, QLD, Australia
yeah, on that falling off thing.

i did and broke my elbow. i'll never fully straighten it again but hopefully it will not hinder me in any way, tri or otherwise. it shouldnt.

2010-04-15 9:58 PM

Thanks all for the advice. Yes, I know how to ride a bike..just never have done it in a race before. I think that for now, I will just work through my first tri and then re-evaluate the clip-less idea afterward. I am so addicted already with my training. By addicted I mean-I forgot how amazing it feels to get done with my training for the day, feel completely exhausted and yet love every second of it!

Hope I can keep this up and make this a habit!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-less Pedals or No? Rss Feed