Good Run Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 17/50
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

I was running late so I did not get a chance to really warm up. Plus I had to pee and did not have time for that either. I missed the pre-race announcements so I was not even sure if the 5 k and half mary people were starting together. Moral to the story - get to the race early!
Event warmup:

None. Ran to regesitration and grabbed my race #. Kissed my wife and ran to the starting line. A lot of fast looking folks around. Hmmm. Only my 5 or 6th run of the year so no telling what was going to happen. Plan was to run til it hurts and then try and speed up.
Run
  • 29m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I was not ready for the starting gun. In fact, I had the sneaking feeling I was starting with the half marathon group. If so then that would be my punishment for being late to the race start. When the gun went off, everyone took off. I walked over to the starter and asked if the 5k trail race was also in this main group. He said yes, everyone starts together and then the half marathon group went break off. Ok, thanks I said. Then I realized I was standing at the starting line while everyone was running away from me. Yikes! Time to get moving. I took off. Spent a bit of energy catching up and finally got into a groove. You really have to watch your footing and there is not much room to pass on this course. I came to the first hill and decided to make a move while some were crawling up the hill. At the top, there was a guy playing the bagpipes...very, very cool. I slowly made my way towards the top half of the group and settled in. I have not run much over the past 8 months due to some serious health issues so it felt good to race again and feel the pain of running! Really happy to be out there. Concentrated on the trail as it was pretty tricky...rocks, roots, dips - you name it. I did not want to trip. Kept pushing the pace had a good amount of kick left.....fought hard to catch a guy way in front of me towards the end....he was slowing and I probably could have passed before the finish line but I decided if I was supposed to pass him, then I should have figured out a way to do it sooner on the course, not sprint by him at the finish. No biggie. I ran pretty hard. Crossed the line at 29:01. Far cry from my PR of 21:54 on a road 5K but I was ok with the effort. Finished 17th overall and 3rd in my age group. First year in a new age group..yahoo ABOUT THAT! Truly one benefit to getting older. =)
What would you do differently?:

Be at the race in time to warm up and get loose. Keep at it with the run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Cooled down and ate some fruit........had a Willy's burrito after a while and cheered the other runners. Band was great. Met a gentleman who won the 70-74 year old age group...he ran a 37:00..he was in great shape. I went up and shook his hand and we had a nice conversation. He likes trail races, so I am sure I will see him agsain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training...recent health issues.

Event comments:

One of my favorite trail races! Great course, good food, nice shirt a and free beer! Highly recommend.

Just 8 months ago I had rotator cuff surgery and from that procedure I got 6 blood clots - 2 in my calf and 4 in my lungs. Spent 4 days in a Pulmonary ICU. I just got off my blood thinners about a month ago and tried to get 4-5 runs in since then. I am blessed to be able to train and race again. Glad to be back out running again!!

Last updated: 2010-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:01 | 03.11 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 17/50
Performance: Good
HR: Sky High.
Course: Out and back on mostly single track trails at the GA Horse Park in Conyers. First half mile is through an open field for spacing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-04-17 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Granite Grinder

2010-04-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2798985

User image

Subject: RE: Granite Grinder

Wow! What a come back story! This is a hard course. I did the half the same day and am still sore. I wish you a complete return to health and training.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Granite Grinder Rss Feed